Returns advice

Associate
This doesn't relate to overclockers.co.uk but im just looking for some advice on a situation. I will refer to the place as X to keep things simple.

I bought an ATI Rad x800 XL from X in march last year (£280), it had a 1 year warrenty.

Around Christmas the card broke (lots of corruption on screen). I returned the card to X.

They said they have no similar cards in stock and would need to send the card back to the manufacturer. I was told this could take up to 30 working days and there was no point making more contact before the (6 weeks) was up.

6 weeks later I phone X only to find the manufacturer has been messing them around. I can either take £175 in credit (have to buy again from X) or I can wait another 6 weeks to see if there is any progress.

The problem is, im running an sn95g5 which only has agp, has no room for a double slot card and i bought the above card with the hopes of using the VIVO to transfer some home videos to dvd.

Current X has no up to date agp cards in stock and does not intend to get any in the future. So im stuck with either getting a slower card or spending a fortune upgrading to a system which supports PCI-E.

Soldato
Q9. Must I accept a credit note instead of a refund?

It depends on why you want to return the goods.

• If you have changed your mind, then the shop doesn't have to do anything.

• But if the goods are faulty, incorrectly described or not fit for purpose, then you are entitled to your money back (provided you act quickly), and you certainly don't have to take a credit note

• If you do accept a credit note in these circumstances, watch out, as there may be restrictions on their use.

• If the shop displays a sign stating they only give credit notes instead of refunds, they might be breaking the law and you could report them to your local Trading Standards Department.

If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

As the goods were faulty I doubt you have to accept a credit note, however it looks like you wont be able to get the full purchase price back as a refund :(

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm should help you.

Last edited:
Associate
imho its their problem for not having informed you sooner, you should try and fight with them to get your money back as its not acceptable if you ask me. look at the consumer rights section and find out what you are entitled to, it should be pretty useful to find out where you stand if you do that.

Associate
Did you use a credit card to make the purchase ?

if you did then you are probably in luck . Contact your CC company and explain the situation .i.e the retailer has failed to honour the warranty and is telling you that they will only give a £175 credit note, even though they have supplied faulty item .Also stress that you have already waited 6 weeks .

Ask the retailer for copies of correspondance they have had with the manufacturer . Personally i would not accept a credit note under any circumstances .

Soldato
If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good

OP has had use of the card from March to December & then its gone faulty, i think the above applies.

Back
Top Bottom