Reverb G2 or Cosmos Elite?

Soldato
Been eyeing on the updated version of the G2 as my first VR headset but I noticed the Cosmos Elite is now on sale at £649 until the end of this month. I heard the base Cosmos had bad tracking but the Elite is more accurate thanks to the included base stations. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages between the two?

Associate
Been eyeing on the updated version of the G2 as my first VR headset but I noticed the Cosmos Elite is now on sale at £649 until the end of this month. I heard the base Cosmos had bad tracking but the Elite is more accurate thanks to the included base stations. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages between the two?
does the elite have vive/valve basestations included for £649?

Associate
Yeah. I didn't love the G2. Great in sims if you can power it, but tracking was rubbish, and I found the whole Mixed Reality interface gltchy. Every other time I wanted to use it I had to quit and restart everything or reboot the PC.

Quest 2 is a great first VR headset. We now have two. Being able to play without a PC is a surprisingly great addition. Playing wireless PC with Airlink is also really great. For the most part though I use it standalone which is the exact opposite of what I expected.

Associate
Yeah think I'll wait, just noticed how many bad reviews the Cosmos gets, didn't realise it was that bad. Thanks everyone.
i noticed the bad reviews too (i quickly googled it after i read your post).
it seems like everyone here is a quest 2 enthusiast and tbh they mostly are, and for good reason, its a great headset.
imo the G2, especially now its been revised, is a good alternative option too if you'll be simming a lot.

Soldato
G2 is a great sim headset, but though the revised version has improved the controller tracking volume, the controllers themselves are pretty poor as they have no capacitive touch (important for finger tracking and immersion) and eat batteries.

Soldato
OP
I've tried the Quest 2 and while it's great I felt like I wanted something with a bit more resolution on the lenses.

Got a friend from the US who offered to help buy the G2 and it's ending up much cheaper than the UK price even with shipping, so I can use the saved money for better controllers.

Soldato
I've tried the Quest 2 and while it's great I felt like I wanted something with a bit more resolution on the lenses.

Got a friend from the US who offered to help buy the G2 and it's ending up much cheaper than the UK price even with shipping, so I can use the saved money for better controllers.

Have you got it? How much will it be if customs take an interest?

Soldato

There aren't any better controllers for the G2 unfortunately, unless you're willing to go the Steam VR route and pair the G2 with Index base stations and controllers. That's an expensive and tricky route to go down though, as it requires getting special bluetooth dongles, and messing about with various utilities to get the 3D space of the G2 and the Index controllers to match.

Associate
G2 is a great sim headset, but though the revised version has improved the controller tracking volume, the controllers themselves are pretty poor as they have no capacitive touch (important for finger tracking and immersion) and eat batteries.
I found mine wasn't too bad on batteries but afaik you had to choose the correct type - 1.6V Ni-Zn, which I did.

Soldato
I found mine wasn't too bad on batteries but afaik you had to choose the correct type - 1.6V Ni-Zn, which I did.

As you found, you can't use standard rechargables as they don't supply enough voltage, and non-rechargeable batteries don't last long, so it does eat batteries unless you buy special rechargables.

Quest 2 controllers last weeks or even months on 1 AA battery, and even non-rechargables last ages.

Soldato
Right now, I'd be getting nothing other than a quest 2. There is no perfect headset on the market. They all have various pros and cons, but personally, the quest 2 is better overall taking into account price, tracking, resolution.

I'd get one now, and then upgrade when the next-gen ones are released (arpara, cambria etc etc) especially if they are using oled and being smaller/lighter.

Soldato
I have a quest 2 and a V1 reverb G2. for my uses the Reverb G2 (after modding the faceplate) is my go too pcvr headset in most cases, the visuals are just superb and the sound is a lot better than the quest 2...... but i dont play competitive shooters etc in VR.

if i had to choose between the quest 2 and the reverb G2 (V1) however......... that would be a real toughie. i think it would have to be the quest 2 as wireless VR is so nice, and the superior tracking the icing on the cake.

For most people looking to get their 1st VR headset and are not already sold on VR imo the quest 2 is hard to ignore, its cheap, its capable in most areas (those who say the visuals or tracking are "poor" are objectively wrong imo.... sure they are not cutting edge, but go back 5 years and people were paying 3x the price for a lesser headset.) and its simple to set up.

once you have had the quest 2 and have decided they are vr fanbois (i consider myself one, its not meant as a slur) then i would say it is the time to cast your net wider and see what you can get if you look to spend more.

Associate
Yeah. I didn't love the G2. Great in sims if you can power it, but tracking was rubbish, and I found the whole Mixed Reality interface gltchy. Every other time I wanted to use it I had to quit and restart everything or reboot the PC.

Quest 2 is a great first VR headset. We now have two. Being able to play without a PC is a surprisingly great addition. Playing wireless PC with Airlink is also really great. For the most part though I use it standalone which is the exact opposite of what I expected.
I'm sort of finding that too, way more time standalone than I thought I would! Currently loving RE4 as my first time playing that game!

Soldato
OP
Didn't realise this thread was still ongoing.

I have had the G2 for just over a couple of weeks now and it was mostly plug and play, as soon as I connected it Windows and Steam started downloading the relevant stuff. Set SteamVR's resolution to 50% as suggested by other G2 users and haven't noticed any issues with the small games I've tried so far. Tracking has not been a problem too, I heard the controllers is affected by weird lighting so I made sure no unneeded lights were on and to close the curtains since during the day sunlight shines directly in. Compared to the Quest 2 it's definitely a step up in resolution, I got the prescription lens mod too and everything looks great. I grabbed a pack of 1.5v Li rechargeable batteries too which works fine with the controllers no issue.

Don't get me wrong the Quest 2 is a great starter set, and the controllers definitely is a step up from the G2's, but I really wanted something with more resolution and I've been trying to avoid Meta services for a good few years.

Now the main issue I have now is... my lack of stamina when playing :p.

Associate
Didn't realise this thread was still ongoing.

I have had the G2 for just over a couple of weeks now and it was mostly plug and play, as soon as I connected it Windows and Steam started downloading the relevant stuff. Set SteamVR's resolution to 50% as suggested by other G2 users and haven't noticed any issues with the small games I've tried so far. Tracking has not been a problem too, I heard the controllers is affected by weird lighting so I made sure no unneeded lights were on and to close the curtains since during the day sunlight shines directly in. Compared to the Quest 2 it's definitely a step up in resolution, I got the prescription lens mod too and everything looks great. I grabbed a pack of 1.5v Li rechargeable batteries too which works fine with the controllers no issue.

Don't get me wrong the Quest 2 is a great starter set, and the controllers definitely is a step up from the G2's, but I really wanted something with more resolution and I've been trying to avoid Meta services for a good few years.

Now the main issue I have now is... my lack of stamina when playing :p.
It does seem like a great headset but I'd love it with better controllers, maybe the next gen of high end headsets will be a nice step up and we can have even higher res with higher fov and excellent tracking. But honestly I just want more games to play on the Quest 2 and quite happy to stick with that for now

Back
Top Bottom