• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid And AMD HD 290

Associate
Yeah i think they were cutting 1mm off so that would coincide with what you found too. I think its funny how they are listing the hybrid on their website as 290(x) compatible even though it doesn't have the right spacers, its missing 4 of the ram heatsinks and there isnt a low profile heatsink for the chip under hoses/block so you really need to buy the Alpenföhn Passive DRAM / VRAM Chip Coolers as well which have been sold out everywhere for the last week or so :(

As for the black screens i get them all the time usually when messing with the clocks and voltages when mining but sometimes even at stock settings while gaming. I think its due to bad drivers and/or bad bios, well im hoping it is lol

Are those VRM1 temps with the fan at 100% they seem a bit high. Do you have a fan on the side of your case?

Soldato
Yeah i think they were cutting 1mm off so that would coincide with what you found too. I think its funny how they are listing the hybrid on their website as 290(x) compatible even though it doesn't have the right spacers, its missing 4 of the ram heatsinks and there isnt a low profile heatsink for the chip under hoses/block so you really need to buy the Alpenföhn Passive DRAM / VRAM Chip Coolers as well which have been sold out everywhere for the last week or so :(

As for the black screens i get them all the time usually when messing with the clocks and voltages when mining but sometimes even at stock settings while gaming. I think its due to bad drivers and/or bad bios, well im hoping it is lol

Are those VRM1 temps with the fan at 100% they seem a bit high. Do you have a fan on the side of your case?

Yes the 3.5mm spacers are a good fit and I had zero problems getting good cooler/GPU contact.

Yes that is with the fan at 100% and there are no side fans blowing onto the card. Though as stated that is also with a +100Mv voltage increase and 170MHz core increase. This core/voltage OC understandably adds around 15c to the VRM1 temperatures.

Under these circumstances I consider 85c very good for VRM temperatures under prolonged OC load. I will add a side fan to see how it helps.

Associate
I have a side fan and it knocks 5-10c off the vrm temps depending on the speed i have it at. thats with the stock cooler and my case is next to a window which helps a lot this time of year.
Thanks for all the info mate i may have some more questions for you if i ever get some heatsinks >.<

R3X

R3X

Soldato
awesome job thanks for the review and guide

I hope 3rd party coolers do an even better job with the 290s in jan/feb !

Soldato
Is there an alternative to using the glue for the heatsinks? I am planning on using the GPU cooler on my future purchases.

EDIT: I see you used a little amount - if I follow this same method what would I remove the remaining glue with that's left on the ram chips and VRM's?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Is there an alternative to using the glue for the heatsinks? I am planning on using the GPU cooler on my future purchases.

EDIT: I see you used a little amount - if I follow this same method what would I remove the remaining glue with that's left on the ram chips and VRM's?

I just use a flat hobby knife to scrape off the crap and then rubbing alcohol to remove everything else

Soldato
I can't wait to fit it as this stock cooler is abysmal but i'm waiting on the parts to arrive as there aren't enough heatsinks for the ram included with the cooler! Otherwise I may have just tried it with the glue.

Permabanned
OP
I can't wait to fit it as this stock cooler is abysmal but i'm waiting on the parts to arrive as there aren't enough heatsinks for the ram included with the cooler! Otherwise I may have just tried it with the glue.

There should be more then enough silver ones with the hybrid, I just ordered the kit as I wanted black heat sinks.

Back
Top Bottom