Revit 2020

Soldato
Anyone have experience of Revit. Our Current building 27 stories and new building 10 stories, about 70,000m² of floor space has been produced in Revit. the detail includes HVAC, Fire Alarms, Light fittings etc and eventually furniture. How usable is a model like this, I use AutoCAD most days and clearly its lighting fast using a single floor in 2D. Would the entire model run like a dog. Ive seen it in Navisworks and it doesnt look great, a bit like pc games 15 years ago with a crap gpu. My Current work Laptop is i7-8850 , 32gb RAM, 1tb m.2 Quadro P2000.

My thinking is its going to run to slow to use than anything more than a glorified O&M Manual. I keep hearing yeah we are getting BIM will be great.. but I'm thinking its more of jumping on the BIM band wagon with not much thought on the daily use.

Soldato
i think your system will be fine. We have less capable workstations that are running fully intergrated revit models.

also bear in mind you will be working on a single displine at a time and not require rendering only with stuff from others in background as coordination. it will be fine.

what really is slow is the inital loading of the models and bringing eveything in. it is best you work off your local model and regularly sync up to central if that's your work flow.

if you are a main contractor or BIM coordinator, you will likely to be working with Naviswork models which brings all the navisworks and ifc in and federate them. that programme doesn't need great deal of horse power. it is pretty crappy written software and the basic visual looks like games from 1990s and even a supercomputer will struggle with a rendered view.

although your system can do with a bit RAM tbh. minimum requirement for a fully federated building model, you will want 32GB but 64GB is ideal. the model you described will be fairly large size depend on how effeicient the families are setup and how repeative are the room and floor layouts etc.

Soldato
OP
i think your system will be fine. We have less capable workstations that are running fully intergrated revit models.

also bear in mind you will be working on a single displine at a time and not require rendering only with stuff from others in background as coordination. it will be fine.

what really is slow is the inital loading of the models and bringing eveything in. it is best you work off your local model and regularly sync up to central if that's your work flow.

if you are a main contractor or BIM coordinator, you will likely to be working with Naviswork models which brings all the navisworks and ifc in and federate them. that programme doesn't need great deal of horse power. it is pretty crappy written software and the basic visual looks like games from 1990s and even a supercomputer will struggle with a rendered view.

although your system can do with a bit RAM tbh. minimum requirement for a fully federated building model, you will want 32GB but 64GB is ideal. the model you described will be fairly large size depend on how effeicient the families are setup and how repeative are the room and floor layouts etc.

Thanks, ive installed the trial version, they are going to try it on my laptop see how it runs. We havnt had any training at all, and are meant to be providing a " Soft Landing" approach but its a bit late for that as buildings nearly finished

Back
Top Bottom