Reyland 6 litre Firenza project

Ish

Ish

Associate
Since Martin had serious health issues he decided that he actually needs to finish his oldest project car.

This is the start of my Firenza build...

Have measured up my Firenza and an LS2 engine and T56 box will just about fit, have just ordered a Hummer sump from the states as it looks to be the best fit..

This is the spec:

Firenza SL (zero rust and owned by me for 17 years)
LS2 6 litre engine/box
Mustang 5 litre 8.8 inch rear rear end
Cosworth 4x4 brakes f/r
16" split rims
Porsche seats

Etc etc

bst031.jpg

Pics to follow ......

Here's the car back when I bought it in 1992..

Firenza001.jpg

Firenza002.jpg

Firenza003.jpg

Firenza004.jpg

Firenza005.jpg

Firenza.jpg

The last picture shows the car having new wings fitted, the old ones were as new but the earlier cars had wierd shaped wing tops that went upwards towards the edge, later models were a more flat design which I prefer.

Shortly after the pics were taken (mid 1992) I took it off the road and fitted a 4.1 Rover V8 with quad dellorto carbs, I was never 100% happy with the Rover engine so a BMW 4.0 V8 with 6 speed box was bought to replace it. The BMW engine didn't get fitted as my head was turned by the Chevy LS2 :)

As it is right now:

Firenza007.jpg

Firenza011.jpg

LS2 6 litre V8 :)

Firenza008.jpg

Damaged Pontiac GTO donor

Firenza009.jpg

Porsche seats will be re-trimmed but the shape is perfect for the car

Firenza010.jpg

Small update,,

while I wait for a sump from the states to clear customs I have decided it needs bigger front brakes.

I had originally fitted brakes from a Cosworth 4x4 but I noticed that my wheels could accommodate bigger. After a few trial fits the biggest I can get in are 330x28mm AP 4 pots, I have drawn up the brake bells and will get the alloy bells made this week, then I have to make alloy calliper brakets..
The original Cosworth conversion:
Firenza032.jpg

A few candidates:
Firenza033.jpg

The chosen disc and caliper next to the Cosworth ones:
Firenza034.jpg

Just a small update.. The alloy brake bells are being made and will be rerady for the weekend. Big bonus though, the sump has just arived from the States :D So after work this evening I will be trial fitting the LS2.
The original Pontiac GTO engine's sump holds the oil at the front of the sump..
Firenza035.jpg

So I first bough a Camero sump which has a rear oil pan (pictured at the top) but it was too long and the engine would have sat too far back, so I ordered a Hummer sump and it looks like thats the one. :lol:
Firenza037.jpg

Ok, time for a bit of an update...

Pedal box and steering needed! Bought a Wilwood pedal box and decided to use a Sierra throttle pedal...

firenza053.jpg

When I got the car back from having the tunnel installed it didn't steer because I'd lost the hole in the bulkhead the column passes through and I'd removed the upper column mount so I could make a new one further over to the right (so steering wheel was central with driver) so after a bit of head scratching I worked out where the hole needed to be and what angle I wanted the column. Power steering was on my mind so an MGF epas column was bought for £25 :grin:

firenza056.jpg

firenza058.jpg

Steering now much further over to the right and central with the speedo and rev counter (Metro steering wheel isn't being kept!!)

firenza059.jpg

Steering link chopped and ready for welding..

Firenza061.jpg

Firenza062.jpg

All fitted and it has steering again :grin: Note handy bulkhead bearing..

Firenza063.jpg

Next on the hit list was headers...

Stevie kindly sent me some over to try :king: But in the end I got some made up locally, space dictated what they ended up looking like but I'm happy with them..

manifoldrh.jpg

manifoldlh.jpg

Onto sorting the front brake brackets, just need to get the brackets made now..

brakes.jpg

hub.jpg

Rear axle shots...

Firenza116-1.jpg

Firenza115-1.jpg

Firenza114-1.jpg

Firenza130-1.jpg

Rear turrets..

Firenza125-1.jpg

Firenza127-1.jpg

Backed off coil overs and put loads of weight in the boot to weigh it down to check if any tyre fouling is likely to happen, all good :grin:

Firenza129.jpg

Front coil overs..

Firenza148.jpg

Gearbox x member is going to get in the way of the exhaust so new mount made...

Firenza152.jpg

Firenza153.jpg

Firenza154.jpg

Stripped the underseal off the rear inner arches to see if anything is being hidden and all good except for thin metal on arch returns on front of rear arches..

Firenza135.jpg

Firenza137.jpg

Firenza138.jpg

Firenza142.jpg

Firenza144-1.jpg

No rust here...

Firenza108-1.jpg

Everything got stripped off...

Firenza078.jpg

Firenza109-1.jpg

Firenza111-1.jpg

Firenza110-1.jpg