Ridiculous court decision?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Procrastinating from a bit of uni work I decide to check out the local news site to check what the latest cases to go through the courts are.

Come across these two:

Baljinder Chohan, (40), of Flaxfield Close, Groby, admitted driving at 45mph in a 30mph zone on August 2 last year. He was fined £300, ordered to pay £60 costs and had his licence endorsed with four points.

Sarah Wright, (31), of Ashfield Drive, Moira, admitted driving at 43mph in a 30mph zone and driving without a valid driving licence on August 5 last year. Wright was fined £200, ordered to pay £60 court costs and had her licence endorsed with four penalty points.

So pretty much exactly the same offence. Yet the second person has no valid driving licence and thus presumably no valid insurance. Yet she gets a lesser fine and an otherwise identical punishment to the guy with a licence.

No incentive to bother with a licence if you're going to be penalised the same either way.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above, I was given a larger fine (£380 iirc) than either + 4 points for a speeding conviction (sp50, 70 in a 50) 5 years ago

Associate
Means adjusted or not, neither of those penalties are enough to be a proper deterrent... especially for the Woman without a Valid license. Also, apologies if this is a silly question but how can an invalid license be endorsed with 4points? Or do they just put it on your record as it were? Either way penalties in this country are rarely enough to convince people not to do it again, you can bet both of those too will be speeding again in no time!

Associate
Means adjusted or not, neither of those penalties are enough to be a proper deterrent... especially for the Woman without a Valid license. Also, apologies if this is a silly question but how can an invalid license be endorsed with 4points? Or do they just put it on your record as it were? Either way penalties in this country are rarely enough to convince people not to do it again, you can bet both of those too will be speeding again in no time!
they go on your provisional whether you have one or not. Apparently you can collect over 12 points on a provisional and then be disqulifyied for totting up :confused:

Soldato
Invalid licence could mean a number of things, not neccesarily no licence..... I would think

Most likely something like driving under a provisional with no one else in the car or similar.

Means adjusted or not, neither of those penalties are enough to be a proper deterrent... especially for the Woman without a Valid license.

Well, exactly.

How much does it cost these days for ~20 driving lessons plus theory and practical test?

20 lesson average to pass at lets say £15/lesson: £300
Theory: £31
Practical: £62

So a total of £393, assuming you pass first time.

This woman is still £133 ahead, and that's only because she got caught. Without the speeding offence, I'm guessing the penalty would have been even lower (if she even got caught). And it's not like they can use ANPR to check for unlicenced drivers!

InQ

InQ

Associate
Different magistrates offer different punishments and they only work within guidelines.

Also dont believe what you read as the punishment is even accurate!
For example i got banned for 42 days a couple of years ago for 93 in a 50. The local paper in their court roundup said i got 3 points!

Soldato
20 lesson average to pass at lets say £15/lesson: £300
Theory: £31
Practical: £62

So a total of £393, assuming you pass first time.

...and the rest!

I paid £22 per hour over 5 years ago for my driving lessons. From what I've heard they are £25-£30 per hour round here now (Surrey).

Back
Top Bottom