Rift CV1 to Rift s ?

Soldato
For me the difference is huge. So much so that I knew two minutes after putting on the Rift S that I could never go back to the Rift.

don't let the paper specs fool you, the clarity on the Rift S is night and day compared to the Rift. No Godrays with barely any SDE are massive improvements by themselves.

Associate
It's a huge improvement! I went from the CV1 to the Samsung Odyssey, and then the Rift S. The difference is noticeable!

Soldato
Interesting responses here, think I might have to upgrade then, was holding off as spec wise on paper it doesnt look like a big step.

"I can tell you want to say its an upgrade but on paper it really feels like there are too many compromises. The Rift S is a really weird device. I read the specs and thought it was a side grade at best but when you put it on and use it, everything just feels that little bit more right. No more sensors, comfortably halo design which I thought I would hate, a huge sweet spot, absolutely beautifully clear lenses, hugely reduced god rays. Everything ambitous the CV1 and Vive tried to do, they've either consolidated or discarded. For example everyones stopped chasing deep OLED blacks now because of expense, response time and god rays just destroying certain elements. Similarly having loads of USB wires around your room is just horrible for anyone that cares about decor and can't afford or doesn't want to dedicate a room to VR. I've pretty much ruined my home theatre room with a tonne of wires ontop of my speaker wires. The only real let down with this device is the audio. Its just really inexcusable that Oculus didn't do something better. Given how thick the halo strap is, I thought they'd actually pack some really strong and loud sound out of it but they haven't. The fact that the Go and Quest's straps are so thin but emit such a huge sound shows just how little effort they put into this headset. It takes a huge step back from the ease of use of the CV1. When you use and put on the Rift S, permitting your IPD is in range, its really is that upgrade we needed without pushing the us to have to buy RTX 2080tis."

Soldato
smaller ur ipd, bigger screen is.

bigger screen, smaller the ipd.

im around 59 and i'd say its definitley bigger than my prev cv1.

Associate
The biggest thing stopping me from switching to the S has been the audio, I really like the physical on-ear headphones of the CV1, massive downgrade to me.

Soldato
Yep confirmed, Rift S is definitely sharper than the CV1, noticeable from the moment you first put the unit on, even without any SS applied.

It is a more comfortable too and doesnt move around as much so stays on the sweet spot.

Soldato
Yep confirmed, Rift S is definitely sharper than the CV1, noticeable from the moment you first put the unit on, even without any SS applied.

It is a more comfortable too and doesnt move around as much so stays on the sweet spot.

Glad to hear you are happy with the change.

I think a lot of people are put off by the specs, like I was. Until I actually bought one and tried it out.

Associate
Its an extra £19 and 15 minutes of time to mod it with the Koss KSC75 headphones. Makes a huge difference

That defeats the issue of spending absolutely zero and continuing with my current CV1 with superior audio quality, if I'm gonna make an upgrade, I'm reluctant to have to make effort on my own part when you're talking about £400 odd.

Soldato
That defeats the issue of spending absolutely zero and continuing with my current CV1 with superior audio quality, if I'm gonna make an upgrade, I'm reluctant to have to make effort on my own part when you're talking about £400 odd.

lol.. man these CV1 lovers are crazy.

I do think for £400, its not worth it. luckily i was able to switch my cv1 for a rift S. if u could shift ur CV1 for £200 then i'd say the Rift S hits the spot.

The clarity upgrade is just too huge and tbh, dark scenes which take advantage of the OLED blacks are to an extend marred by the awful god rays which CV1 has, not to mention out of every OLED headset, CV1's blacks are by far the worst.

Back
Top Bottom