RIFT DK2 - Worth it now?

Soldato
I have just got myself a DK2 for £100 aswel and its apparently new. I dont know how people can get them new, is it old stock from the manufacture?

Soldato
I think someone was selling a bucket load of these cheap and they have been bought up by someone else(s) and are selling for that price like hot cakes. They are EOL.
Cheapest way to find out if Oculus VR is your thing in the comfort of your own home.

It happens way back when PC DVD drives just came out and they were just moving up to the first iteration of faster speeds I managed to buy a load of 1x 2x really really cheap and I made an absolute killing selling them at a much lower cost than the faster speeds. Did same job playing movies etc even came with free software and were proper Panasonic Retail ones. Sometimes also people dont understand the tech they are selling and its worth.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well my mate let me try his Vive out just before xmas with a few games, and yeah I liked it, but seeing the pixels was a bit off putting. But apparently people say, once your focused on the games that your playing, you kind of forget of the pixel problem. I am hoping I will get use to that, but the res on the DK2 is lower then the Vive but hopefully it wont be a huge drop.

I am going to be using the DK2 mainly for my racing sims, if I can work out how to set the DK2 up, as it looks quite hard going by what people say on the net.:eek:

Soldato
I got the DK2 today, and yeah its brand new, as I had my doubts it would be, and its working great. I only have installed the oculus home, and game are working from the oculus home and steam without installing anything else.. But its leaning forward and back the wrong way, when I lean forward it goes back and when I lean back it goes forward?

Associate
Two things to try:
Try a different USB port (and/or removing all other unnecessary USB items)
And copied from Reddit
I had this issue when I was too excited to read instructions on what plugs go where and it screwed up my positional tracking. I plugged the aux-looking cable from the camera directly into the jack on the headset and it did exactly as you said, not allowing it to lean backwards or forwards properly.

Soldato
Grrrr, I didnt have the sync cable plugged in, as I thought the camera did the head movement so I thought everything was working... what a tit I am:eek:

Another thing tho, I would have thought I would have 2 displays in my ati thing, but Im only seeing my monitor and no headset on my 2nd display, but its working fine tho?

Last edited:
Soldato
Grrrr, I didnt have the sync cable plugged in, as I thought the camera did the head movement so I thought everything was working... what a tit I am:eek:

Another thing tho, I would have thought I would have 2 displays in my ati thing, but Im only seeing my monitor and no headset on my 2nd display, but its working fine tho?

look at the comment on page 1
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30670512

Caporegime
Funny I was just looking through the bay of E and saw some DK2's for around a hundred notes and was about to post asking if it was worth it. Some food for thought having tried the gear VR on my S7.

Soldato
So the DK2 is still worth it then? The resolution isn't terrible and they still work well? Do the touch controllers still work with the DK2?

Passable. Lets you try it on the cheap. You still get the WOW factor for the first time. Dirt Rally is pretty good when your eyes work. Controllers dont work. Steer clear of touch controller games just use a Xbox PC type controller if you have one.

Soldato
I bought a headset stand for my DK2, printed out a xbox360 controller stand on my 3d printer and stuck it underneath the headset. I think it looks pretty cool, but I think I will re-print out the stand in black, when I can get some black filament...

16ab31k.jpg

33be7oi.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Resolution increase. The actual design of the headset - Integrated headphones, lighter weight, more comfortable.
Plus the downside - beefier PC to get the best from it.

Soldato
Any problem with compatibility if you use a DK2? Will everything that works with the CV1 work with the DK2?

I'm mighty tempted with having a punt at £100! (ish)

Things that require Touch controllers will not work with the DK2. I bought one recently precisely to check out VR on the cheap and have had some fun with it (various free demos, Lucky's Tale, Project Cars on Steam, a Doom VR mod). Currently undecided on whether to take the plunge on a CV1 (lot of outlay with Touch controllers and the required GPU upgrade) wait for the CV2/other next gen option or just see whether the novelty of VR wears off for me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
so bar the games that require the controllers these work ok? can you add a controller?
Im tempted on this as a cheap way to see if the kids would like it.
From what I've been able to find out and the posts above, the touch controllers don't work with the DK2 but you can use a game pad without issue.

Back
Top Bottom