Rift "no hdmi detected" error?

Associate
Hi All,

Just bought and fitted a Radeon VII into my setup, and thought I would give VR a try on the new card.

Plugged in the headset and the rift software is showing an error on the headset - "hdmi not detected"?

Interestingly windows quite happily allows selecting the rift as an additional screen and spanning desktop etc so card, port and headset display are working fine?

Can't seem to find any settings relating to hdmi in the rift software? Latest version too..

Associate
OP
Well, looks like a lot of other people are having similar issues after a recent update of the rift software, so may be coincidental. Considering I can use the headset as a monitor in windows I suspect it's a software thing. :(

Edit : actually the articles I was reading were a year old. :O

Device manager is showing the rift under monitors and seems to be working as expected, yet rift software still reporting "No HDMI connection". :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Think I've got oculus stumped. Raised a support case and got the usual "ensure latest drivers, patches etc" even after I explained that headset screen is working fine under windows. Provided a support capture too.

Next reply was try a different connection, port, leads etc - again works fine in windows so can't be any of those things. Then asked if I could do a repair install of their software which I have already done. I've even completely removed the software and all settings for a fresh install and same issue.

Already on latest version of windows, drivers et all too.

They are now off to "have a think".

Considering everything worked fine with the 980ti I suspect it's a software issue, perhaps not talking to the amd driver properly. I suspect they may well just blame it on that.

Anybody else using a Vega based card with a rift?

Associate
OP
Next they wanted me to uninstall (not just disable) AV and reinstall oculus drivers. Now it's remove and reinstall latest GFX drivers. I've only just installed the drivers for my Radeon VII....

I don't think I'm going to get anywhere here. :(

Might enable on board and plug it into that just to see if it then detects a HDMI connection.

Soldato
I feel your pain. Had a massive amount of conflicts with Steam VR, USB devices, and my monitor/s since building a new machine.

It all works, but it's all hanging on loading and exiting and screwing with steam, and dropping my controllers ffb when it feel like it too.

This is all Vive stuff though, and windows 10 seemingly ineptitude to recognize half my stuff.

Good luck with your quest.

Associate
OP
getting support from oculus is like pulling teeth, try going back a driver or two see if that helps

Unfortunately there is only the initial release driver for Radeon VII. The rift uses the installer that's a downloader type setup, so always downloads and installs latest version. I even tried joining the beta channel but that didn't help either.

Latest from support is a request to run DISM, SFC, Chkdsk and memory checker - usual "make sure pc is ok" type stuff. All passed ok. Considering everything is fine otherwise, playing games etc there's nothing wrong with my system otherwise.

Associate
OP
Just carried out a fresh install of Windows 10 v1809 on a different drive.... and HDMI and rift headset are now being detected. Bonkers.

Now don't know whether to persevere on my original install, or try rebuilding, reinstalling and re-tweaking everything on new install. Hmm....

Edit: Support came back and asked me to run DDU. I've had issues with it messing up windows in the past so a bit reluctant, but decided to give it a try anyway. A clean up of both nvidia and amd drivers, then reinstall of amd drivers seems to have actually done the trick.

On first reboot after clearing nvidia drivers an error came up from the AMD software stating it couldn't find a file - so I guess there was a file conflict somewhere and nvidia's own uninstaller did a rubbish job.

All sorted now so good to go. Haven't played "in death" for a while.... :)

Last edited:
Associate
i had this after upgrade to vega a year or so ago - maybe longer from a 390, turns out the pins in the hdmi cable are super easy to bend, had to contact them and get them to send a cable. now i have the hdmi cable plugged into an extension permanently and when unplugging i unplug the extension. apparently its a common issue, however looks like your issue is not that so thats at least good news. :)

Associate
Just carried out a fresh install of Windows 10 v1809 on a different drive.... and HDMI and rift headset are now being detected. Bonkers.

Now don't know whether to persevere on my original install, or try rebuilding, reinstalling and re-tweaking everything on new install. Hmm....

Edit: Support came back and asked me to run DDU. I've had issues with it messing up windows in the past so a bit reluctant, but decided to give it a try anyway. A clean up of both nvidia and amd drivers, then reinstall of amd drivers seems to have actually done the trick.

On first reboot after clearing nvidia drivers an error came up from the AMD software stating it couldn't find a file - so I guess there was a file conflict somewhere and nvidia's own uninstaller did a rubbish job.

All sorted now so good to go. Haven't played "in death" for a while.... :)
Should always use DDU when changing drivers, never mind swapping GPU's

Associate
OP
Should always use DDU when changing drivers, never mind swapping GPU's

I've had issues with DDU in the past messing up windows (granted that was a fair while ago), so prefer to try using the official uninstallers first and give them the benefit of the doubt. Thought I'd try DDU this time since was considering reinstalling windows from scratch anyway.

Not had any issues before, and games etc were fine on radeon otherwise. It was just the HDMI detection thing on VR oddly.

Associate
DDU works fine now as long as its the latest version and you opt for safe mode restart.
No issues ever with it.
Always use it when changing drivers as the official un-installer always leaves traces from the previous driver.

Back
Top Bottom