Rift on Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming.

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get the oculus rift working with the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming (1050Ti version)?
I have searched online and found many having trouble with this but no definitive answer.

Two problems that I can see.

One, the 1050ti is on the minimum rated spec for the Rift, but, it's really weak. You will have to play everything on the lowest settings. You won't be getting the recommended 90fps most of the time. It will be running at 45fps using ASW. That's why there might not be any definitive answer. Some people might be happy with that. Others will find it unplayable.

Second: You might need to buy a good USB hub. The onboard USB might not be able to supply enough power.

Associate
OP
Two problems that I can see.

One, the 1050ti is on the minimum rated spec for the Rift, but, it's really weak. You will have to play everything on the lowest settings. You won't be getting the recommended 90fps most of the time. It will be running at 45fps using ASW. That's why there might not be any definitive answer. Some people might be happy with that. Others will find it unplayable.

Second: You might need to buy a good USB hub. The onboard USB might not be able to supply enough power.

It's not so much the quality of the experience, but whether it will work at all.
Others have experienced no output to the headset, with speculation that it is due to Optimus being used on it.

Soldato
Well, that I can't answer as I don't have one.

But, I would question whether it would be worth buying with a GPU that weak. The 1050Ti on a laptop isn't even as good as a desktop 1050Ti and that's the bare minimum!!

Soldato
I haven't tried my Rift on my laptop (I have the Dell mentioned) but the 1050 ti in laptops is not cut down, in fact the laptop version is clocked higher than the desktop version.

Doesn't matter, It will still come behind the desktop version in performance. At it's best, under ideal cooling conditions, it might just about match the desktop version.

Associate
It's not so much the quality of the experience, but whether it will work at all.
Others have experienced no output to the headset, with speculation that it is due to Optimus being used on it.
Yep, that seems to be the issue. The Rift appears to need direct control over both the HDMI output and GPU doing the rendering, so having them split over separate graphics hardware is messing things up. I wouldn't hold out for a fix, Optimus is fundamentally a giant hack (admittedly one that works quite well, provided you don't try anything fancy with it).

Back
Top Bottom