Rift S issue - frequent position resetting

Associate
OP
News update

I've installed a new Corsair 850W PSU in the PC.

It *appears* to be playing high stress games without shutting down...

So now I have a quandary about what to do with the RMA to OCUK.
Do I reinstall the original goosed PSU and send it back in toto for them to diagnose the issue?
Do I send just the removed PSU back and ask them to check that it's goosed and let me know what their desired course of action is?

I'll give them a call on Monday to find out their preference.

Meanwhile - I'll give the new PSU a good workout tomorrow to see if it will keep the PC from shutting down.

Thanks for the support, chaps. Appreciate it

Associate
OP
I grow more and more confident that the new PSU has totally resolved all the problems I was experiencing with (my system) mainly manifested by problems with the Rift S.

OCUK have been brilliant with me and worth a hearty thank you and congratulations.

When I called on Monday (the day prior to the pre-arranged RMA collection...) and said that I'd identified the problem by purchasing and fitting a new Corsair RM850 PSU, they listened to my story, thought about how to resolve it and came back with their plant to:

1. Send a Corsair RM850, so I could return the one I had for a refund ;)
2. Wouldn't take the difference in price to upgrade to more expensive 80+ Gold PSU (difference I offered to pay was equal to the price difference on their wbsite = £25).
3. Not interested in taking the old PSU back for testing to ensure I was correct, or even just telling the truth.

I got the new PSU the next day - and the package included some free Haribo.

Altogether, and amazing Customer Care response by OCUK - I am very grateful.

Associate
OP
Fair dues to Overclockers support. They really do go that extra mile.

I hope that's the issue solved once and for all. :)

Thanks for all the help, dude. Certainly hope so too. At first glance it's looking very, very positive. Got a bit of WattMan 950MHz memory overclock going on with the Vega56, 50% extra power enabled, custom fan (with auto stop) and a tad of undervolt on the GPU. Giving it some serious gaming stress and WattMan reports max power draw spikes of over 250Watts, with sustained draws of 220W. Nothing else has been changed since it kept shutting down. Couldn't even run the Shadow of War Benchmark beforehand, and now I'm gaming for good length of time and no sign of shutdowns.
Time will tell whether this PSU is robust enough - if not, I'm guessing it might be something going on with my system that's causing PSUs to expire quickly.

Back
Top Bottom