Rift Supersampling

Associate
Hello
i recently purchased a rift, i am running a 4790k running 4.8ghz, 32gm 2400mhz ram and an r9 390.

when i run games with supersampling off the performance hud says im pretty much a solid 90fps but no headroom from machine.

so my questions here is am i better to leave fps at 90 and be happy or set supersampling to 1.3 1.4 which AWS on also and get a solid 45 fps but with some supersampling?

any help greatly appreciated

lee

Associate
What do you prefer personally? For me, I'd rather take a solid 90fps with no supersampling rather than ASW 45fps with SS. Different games also seem to cope better with ASW than others, and games that use Touch suffer worst in my opinion, as the movement of your virtual hands tends to show up ASW artifacts more than anything.

Just do what is right for you. In my case, the right choice was a new graphics card :p

Soldato
It all comes down to the variance from game to game, vr development is just as all over the place in terms of optimization like pc development, and the limitations of the boundaries of vr are fairly obvious. Personally 45 or 90 isn't a problem, going back to stock default with no sampling is though, after recently experiencing it with a fresh install.
Search out the games with an ss option in the game, so you can see the visual differences and rates of performance on a game by game basis on the fly.
I can only speak to the vive, but my spec is similar to your own aside the 1070. Asynchronous is on, interleaved repo off, defaulting at 1.5 ss puts me golden on the steam frames and in everything I regularly play.

Unless your flush though, and really feel the need for a ss at 2/2.5 right now (where the ability of the ti dumps over everything else from a great hight), id hold on the expense of a 1080i. With a generic brush, unity, unreal, and NVidia are improving rendering technics on a regularly basis to make it less demanding on the hardware, and obviously as vr development moves down the line, optimization comes more of a thing.

Associate
OP
cheers i do plan on upgrading my GPU although im thinking of getting the AMD Vega 64. i presume this will be the best option if rumours are true of 499 with 1080 performance.

im surprised my r9 390 is struggling so much though. i presume trying to run a rift and dual monitors is just to much for it

@lokiss so based on what your saying i am best to have SS set to 1.4 or 1.5 and have AWS on?

Soldato
Not sure on the exact comparison with the 1070/390 but most seem to recommend 1.2/5. Asynchronous is a given, repo for anything that struggles on the cpu or isn't well optimized. They say go with interleaved if performance see's random drops, but in my experience it makes things worse. I'm not an expert, but again it really is a game by game thing.

Associate
OP
so im using Oculus tool tray.

474inufqitsh.jpg

so force 1.5 and set ASW to on then see how i get on with that for a better experience. i presume on the Performance HUD i dont want to be running max probably need a bit of a buffer of 15% over head?

Soldato
Just remember that when you have SS turned on in the oculus tray tool you must disable it in the game. Because the effects of SS are cumulative it will kill the performance.

Associate
OP
cheers, well once i worked out that my FPS was dropping to 45 from 90 i havent used the Oc Tray but im guessing you need to use it for Oculus games as some dont seem to have options. unless im missing them. games like RecRoom from Oculus home or The Lab from Steam

Back
Top Bottom