Rig needs work

Associate
Good Morning all,

I recently changed rig to replace my old Intel i5-4460 and I now need to change for parts of this new one to be able to casually game.

The motherboard is a standard HP 8906 with 8GB Ram
Standard PSU.
CPU is Ryzen 5700G

the new PC done not yet a GPU in it but I still have the MSI GFX 970 from my previous rig.

Any advice would be great.

Man of Honour
Standard PSU.
how many watts? does it have any 6/8-pin pcie power cables?
does HP use a non-ATX standard PSU? if they do, then your upgrade options may be limited

budget?
the gtx 970 is a fair bit faster than the integrated gpu of the 5700g
but again need to know the exact specs of the power supply

also is the motherboard bios locked down?
some oem motherboards do not allow free upgrading of components

Associate
OP
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Yes it is a standard PSU so would need replacing. Im my old rig i put a EVGA BRONZE 600W in which powered my GFT 970

Man of Honour
Are you certain the hp motherboard uses standard power connectors?

It doesn't appear so from my cursory googling

Soldato
This will end badly. If you wanted a new gaming PC you should've bought/built one to begin with :confused:

So you bought a home/office HP desktop PC filled with proprietary connections and ports? They don't make them very upgradeable tbh...

Caporegime
This will end badly. If you wanted a new gaming PC you should've bought/built one to begin with :confused:

So you bought a home/office HP desktop PC filled with proprietary connections and ports? They don't make them very upgradeable tbh...
yea new motherboard, new psu, new case :p might as well have just bought a real pc to begin with
all the OP got was an expensive CPU at the end of the day

Man of Honour
You could open up the case and take a few pics and let us have a look (may void your warranty though)

This. If it has a label on the side, take a picture and check if there are any 6/8 pin connectors for the graphics card.

If the PSU is a standard PSU, it will connect to the motherboard with either a 4 or 8 pin connector near the CPU cooler and a 24 pin connector on the side of the motherboard. A non-standard PSU will probably use a 6 pin instead of a 24 pin.

Back
Top Bottom