• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Right to repair law

Associate
I wonder what Apple will make of this new law.
Well, let me guess.
The last time anything was attempted to make their tat more environmentally friendly by forcing the use of just one type of generic charger, Apple just ignored it.
That was a gentlemen's agreement the manufacturers made with EC though, so the next time the Commission is going to make it a directive instead.

Soldato
Fake law. People been repairing stuff well before the law.
Plenty people bring laptops to me with busted screens and dead drives to have them repaired no issues.

Whats this law change? Is it like the magnuson moss act in usa where you can service your own car and warranty wont be void?

Caporegime
Fake law. People been repairing stuff well before the law.
Plenty people bring laptops to me with busted screens and dead drives to have them repaired no issues.

Whats this law change? Is it like the magnuson moss act in usa where you can service your own car and warranty wont be void?

In the US those Warranty Void stickers you find on your cards are unenforceable, you can break that seal and take the cooler off without affecting your warranty.

Associate
I wonder what Apple will make of this new law.

Will just do as they already do in the US. Set up a scheme selling you parts, but at heavily inflated prices that make it uneconomic. And also demand you send in the original part as a "Core" first before they will send out the new part meaning there is a large waiting time for the parts to arrive? Also in the US Iirc they demand their "Repairers" they sell parts to send them the customers info/data? Louis Rossmann has some videos on this on his Youtube channel.

Associate
The average Joe should not get exited about this law. Manufacturers have to make parts available for 10 years but there is a catch.

The parts are available to professional installers only so the consumer cant just buy a part and fit it as they will electrocute themselves, a disaster waiting to happen.

A cheap fix isn't going to work here, it will cost a small fortune to get a pro to swap components.

For now it's only really aimed at appliances and TV's but there are looking ti extend it to phones, tablets etc but the tricky stuff like motherboards and GPU's are unlikely to figure in this.

Soldato
I repair commercial appliances for a living, the cost of parts and labour can be extortionate even for really small/seemingly minor items. When you start getting to the big stuff like PCBs etc. you're talking up to 50% the cost of the appliance, and we're talking stuff that costs multi £k to begin with.

Permabanned
'Right to repair' law to come in this summer - BBC News

Manufacturers will be legally obliged to make spare parts for products available to consumers for the first time – a new legal right for repairs.

The aim of the new rules is to extend the lifespan of products by up to 10 years, and officials estimate that higher energy efficiency standards will save consumers an average of £75 a year on bills over their lifetimes.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Regarding GPUs, the point of laws like this should be to stop companies like nvidia nullifying your warranty because you broke a sticker. If after inspection they can ascertain bungling or modification attempts thats another story; however for enthusiasts on forums like this you should be able to inspect the components and see if the pads were placed correctly, paste is applied or not dried up, and swap out duff fans.

Soldato
(ever noticed how something as simple as standard PC ram tends to go up massively in price after a couple of years as production swaps to the newer parts).

Yes indeed parts just aren't available or can only be sourced 2nd hand I put a replacement motherboard in and that was only available used/salvaged and cost me twice the original price new!

Permabanned
I hope nobody gets a shock opening their TV. A nasty shock if they do it wrongly.

It's not intended to allow people to repair their own TV's rather it is to allow service companies to repair them. For example, to allow the local electronics shop to offer repairs on graphics cards such as replacing fans, heat-sinks and things like that. Modding them for water coolers ( which they already do, I might add ). Course there would be nothing to stop them replacing components and so on, if they were skilled enough.

Permabanned
I hope nobody gets a shock opening their TV. A nasty shock if they do it wrongly.

It's not intended to allow people to repair their own TV's rather it is to allow service companies to repair them. For example, to allow the local electronics shop to offer repairs on graphics cards such as replacing fans, heat-sinks and things like that. Modding them for water coolers ( which they already do, I might add ). Course there would be nothing to stop them replacing components and so on, if they were skilled enough.

Back
Top Bottom