Rights when swimming in lake

Soldato
There's a freshwater lake near me that I'd like to swim in. There's a water sports centre on it which does a bunch of activites, including swimming, but it only does swimming one day a week, and it's ludicrously expensive.

There's also a couple of other access points to the lake that are used for fishing, so it's not like the centre owns the entirety of the lake.

How can I find out who owns the lake? I'm tempted to just turn up and swim before the centre opens but don't want to get done for trespassing! I could ask the watersports centre, but of course they'll say it's not allowed to try and get me to go to their paid for session.

Soldato
I suppose you could give it a go, you may get run over by sail boards or boats or whatever also takes place on the lake. As it is probably a private lake, even with other accesses for fishing, you may get hauled up. I cannot imagine fishermen appreciating someone trolling through their areas, they tend to get uptight at people spoiling their (paid for) pleasures.

Permabanned
Be very careful, a good friend of mine came SO close to losing a leg when he grazed it climbing out onto a jetty at Sale Water Park in Greater Manchester. Weil's disease was the cause, from rats urinating on the timbers. The matters of trespass and drowning may also be a concern.

Soldato
There's a freshwater lake near me that I'd like to swim in. There's a water sports centre on it which does a bunch of activites, including swimming, but it only does swimming one day a week, and it's ludicrously expensive.

There's also a couple of other access points to the lake that are used for fishing, so it's not like the centre owns the entirety of the lake.

How can I find out who owns the lake? I'm tempted to just turn up and swim before the centre opens but don't want to get done for trespassing! I could ask the watersports centre, but of course they'll say it's not allowed to try and get me to go to their paid for session.

I mean just as an FYI you can't "be done" for tresspassing so as long as you leave when asked to by the owner.

Commissario
You have the right to go all wrinkly.

If the lake is privately owned then unless you get permission from the owner you have no right to use it, and indeed may as has been said cause issues for other users who have arranged for/paid for the right to use it, for example the official swimming may be arranged around other activities that the swimming would disrupt, or where the swimmers might be in danger from them.
For example if it's a lake that is used for boating then having unexpected swimmers in it, or outside of the area they are meant to be in could end very badly for the swimmer, as boats tend to both move much faster than swimmers, and have issues with stopping suddenly, even a small one person sail boat is a fairly large lump that can move surprisingly fast and the person using it may not notice some idiot who isn't meant to be swimming at that time (as their attention is more likely to be on other boats, and doing stuff on their own one).

there is also always the whole thing about swimming in water you're not familiar with, without a life guard or similar around (even a nice peaceful looking lake can have unexpected movement of water, or things under the surface).

Back
Top Bottom