RM 1st Class signed for?

Soldato
Does anybody know how long this takes in the real world? It states 1-3 working days, but I posted the package (old passport) on Sunday @ 11:46 at my local delivery office and there has been no update since. My passport renewal can't continue until it's delivered, and I'm getting slightly anxious about it now.

Permabanned
Does anybody know how long this takes in the real world? It states 1-3 working days, but I posted the package (old passport) on Sunday @ 11:46 at my local delivery office and there has been no update since. My passport renewal can't continue until it's delivered, and I'm getting slightly anxious about it now.

royal fail good luck with that, i only get around 2 deliveries a week.
they may have received it as i dont think they bother getting a signature for signed for usually.

should have sent special to guarantee it.

Soldato
As it's a signed for only system I don't believe you'll get any tracking updates apart from "Delivered and signed for by....." when it arrives. At this point no updates just means it hasn't been delivered. It could be 5 minutes away or lost forever.

Commissario
I learnt from recent OcUK secret santa not to use 1st class signed for/recorded - it can take up to 14 days.

Go with special delivery in future!

Soldato
OP
I learnt from recent OcUK secret santa not to use 1st class signed for/recorded - it can take up to 14 days.

Go with special delivery in future!

I was following the instructions given to me by the Passport Office, they said....

Send us your old passport.

Use a strong envelope that is the right size for your passport. Check the weight and pay the correct postage – consider using signed for delivery. Send it to:

HM Passport Office
UK-DAP
PEX *** *** ****
PO BOX 231
Redgrave Court
BOOTLE
L20 7YW

Commissario
Bearing in mind it won't have moved until Monday, it's not even been two working days so there's no reason to get antsy about it yet.

I don't think I ever got confirmation of mine being delivered when I renewed last year but my new passport was with me very quickly, I was impressed with the turnaround.

Soldato
Who are you expecting an update from?
My girlfriend recently renewed her passport, just last week. She sent it via the same, signed for delivery. She got a tracking number where she was able to check that it had been received and signed for the next day, but didn't get confirmation from the passport office that they'd had it for several more days.

Do you have a tracking number on the receipt?

Soldato
Hmm. Unfortunately, as Peerzy said, there's no way of knowing then. I tried to convince the GF to send it Special Delivery, but she just went 1st class Signed For - but as I said, it was delivered the next day.

In my general experience, RM First Class has always been pretty quick and reliable (1-2 days), even during Covid, but I guess service is going to be spotty in places at the moment.

Soldato
If posting on a Sunday, then the earliest you can expect it to arrive is on Tuesday - which it hasn't. Three working days, then I'd give it until Thursday, when I would also start making contact with Royal Mail.

Caporegime
3-5 Days
RM Special isn't even guaranteed next day now either, clowns!

Performance has dropped but they still offer guaranteed next working day or your money back. From the last statistics available around 93% are delivered next day.

Around 82% of 1st class mail is delivered on the first working day after receipt and 96% of 2nd class mail by the fourth working day after receipt.

Back
Top Bottom