Road Cycling

Soldato
Also, there's a few segments on my regular route which i must do a couple times a week where Strava is completely wrong. This is classed as an 18% cat 4 climb, yet as you can see. There's no way i'm flying up a hill like that at 20kph!

It shows as >100m but the actual elevation is only around 20m

Where on earth is it getting it's data from!

The elevation data for some segments from early GPS computers when Strava started around 2011 are diabolical, built-in barometers are getting better but they still can have bad days!

I use Strava's "correct elevation" option (often "correct distance" too, but very little adjustment these days) for my rides recorded on my few Lezyne GPS computers I've had since '17 and if I spot horribly wrong segments, I hide them and create a new one using Strava's data.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rode ZRL Finals last night, last race of 3 and a crit - 5 laps clockwise & then a gap followed by 5 laps reverse. Eating very close to start time I didn't really do a warmup... Had mega legs the first race, along with a good result for me... Then had nothing left for race 2 so really dropped the first selection and sat in the handful of riders to beat them all at the end. Chuffed I had 1 good race and not 2 'meh' so that's a positive to finish this season of ZRL which I've been totally 'out-gunned' riding against top B riders. Nice little bump to my FTP (to 270W) from the first race, but consider it quite a 'soft'/false value from a 23 min race and not a 30-40 min effort.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11247727295 - 8th!
https://www.strava.com/activities/11248150442 - 7th from last!

My back/shoulder (still slow going) felt ok riding. Pretty stiff afterwards and wondered if I'd hurt myself a bit too much, but much more mobility and less pain this morning. Feels like the end is near! Need to get some longer rides in, I have good 'race legs' from Zwift but I'm feeling like I don't need race legs once the weather turns. Need endurance legs! Set a bit of a challenge for around a months time as there's a 'FRR Charity' day on Zwift/Ventop and I'm planning 3 ascents for my vCingles badge (and gain the coveted FRR jersey!) so will probably be a 6-8 hour ride and my longest indoor ride by some margin. But a good stepping stone to some longer outdoor rides this year - I really want to cross off some proper Sportives/Events as it's been a few years since I did any.

<snip>
The Shimano brakes are much easier to bleed. However, I love that you can swap batteries on eTap between front and rear and it's way easier to carry a spare.

I find the ergonomics of both similar now. Di2 used to be much nicer but SRAM has improved a lot on that front.

If relevant, Shimano kit is generally better for touring/travelling as shops will almost always have Shimano spares but very rarely SRAM.

It's pretty much a tie for me for general riding.
Really good info & feedback mate! What's the mega hilly event you have planned for needing that 44t?!?

Lots of Pro's on SRAM used to drop chains (JV seemed very good at it!), but seen far less of that recently. Shimano is not exactly immune but have to admit I've seen a massive amount more chains dropped on TV than in many years of group rides outside... Their margins might be so tight in the hunt for gains or maybe just something more prevalent on the top end groupsets with the bigger chainrings and 'faster' cassettes they tend to ride - or the massive difference some have between their front rings...

I love the idea of eTap batteries and how 'swappable' they are compared to Di2. One thing I've not visited yet (but intend to) is looking at reducing the amount of cables required for Di2 charging. I'm surprised not many have done it - the older Di2 charger is massively big of mostly empty of plastic for a very basic charging circuit which plugs into USB. I nearly always charge mine (overnight) from a little battery pack and it'll full charge from 'low' to 100% using less than 20% of the battery pack - the same pack will barely charge my mobile more than 75-80% from near 0. So the requirements to fully charge Di2 are very low mAh @5V & 2A. Really I have no need to charge my Di2 out on the road, but as my ELEMNT is now not lasting longer than 3-4h then long rides I'm taking a battery pack with me anyway, so seems silly not to have a more portable Di2 charger too (although you can't charge Di2 and use it at the same time, if you can fully charge in half an hour then the portability/swappability of eTap over Di2 is negated). Love a bit of hardware hacking :D

But back to groupsets... I'd always ride Di2, but my reasoning is around the price of components. It's just significantly cheaper when it comes to replacing/upgrading anything. Chainrings and cassettes are massively cheaper. But I know lots of people who have 'some of each' and don't prefer 1 over the other when riding, so I'd happily ride SRAM - just didn't go for it on the new bike as 105 di2 12s is such a deal.

While we're on the subject of groupsets, anyone on newer 12s di2 comment on the wireless shifters & their batteries? Peeled back hoods when doing tape last weekend and although I didn't really look, didn't notice an obvious place for a battery cover/door. Do you need a screwdriver to change them? :o

It shows as >100m but the actual elevation is only around 20m

Where on earth is it getting it's data from!
The GPS data of the person who first created the segment. Which is why you see so many crazy ones around! There used to be far more 'cliffs' around on flat roads, so Strava have got better at sorting the obvious ones. The less so obvious maybe less so hard to catch...

I'm the same as Steve - I use the 'Correct Elevation' on my long outdoor rides with my ELEMNT as it nearly always under reports. My battery woes may lead to replacing it with the BOLTv2 (can't justify getting the ROAM). I've no idea if they're any better. I always find my elevation below that of my Garmin teammates - but also many of them are overstated too, while I'm under. The truth is somewhere between...!

Associate
While we're on the subject of groupsets, anyone on newer 12s di2 comment on the wireless shifters & their batteries? Peeled back hoods when doing tape last weekend and although I didn't really look, didn't notice an obvious place for a battery cover/door. Do you need a screwdriver to change them? :o

I found this a great resource for all things di2. I haven’t replaced my shift battery yet, but it appears straightforward.

Soldato
Wow, that does look pretty epic. I'm trying to think how 700km spread over only 50 hours would feel. Obviously, very tough but wondering if I actually could?! Only once have I done 200km in a day, so this might be beyond me...

Unfortunately, it's over the weekend I go to the Alps anyway.

Soldato
Wow, that does look pretty epic. I'm trying to think how 700km spread over only 50 hours would feel. Obviously, very tough but wondering if I actually could?! Only once have I done 200km in a day, so this might be beyond me...

Unfortunately, it's over the weekend I go to the Alps anyway.

Haha no chance i'm doing it this year. I'm trying to work up to only 166km in a day :p

Might be one for my list before i'm 40.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about this one?
To be honest, this one would interest me more. 350km in 4 days, staying in hotels between is within my ability. Yes, it's pricey, but I also would get 100 Euros off as I own a Skoda :cry: Two weeks before I go to Girona, so time to recover. Let me know if you decided to, I'd probably join you :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, this one would interest me more. 350km in 4 days, staying in hotels between is within my ability. Yes, it's pricey, but I also would get 100 Euros off as I own a Skoda :cry: Two weeks before I go to Girona, so time to recover. Let me know if you decided to, I'd probably join you :cool:

I think again it's a next year thing. Too close to my big Gran Fondo i think. Also hopefully next year i could justify some spending rather than every penny going into this house build!

I'll let you book 2 entries :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I like MFP. My ride is classed as "Very Fast" :D

t8MOoTH.png

Soldato
Not gonna lie, even with a shimano mechanical groupset I always struggled to get the auto trim to work perfectly. ie. you could use almost the entire wrong end of the rear cassette for the front chainring. Can't imagine how bad it would be without it at all. Then again, perhaps I just shouldn't be cross chaining that much and should learn not to do it.
Yup, such is the 'danger' of the tighter tolerances of modern hubs to squeeze all those extra gears in. Gives a massive scope for users to be ignorant of crosschaining and abuse! It's a good thing to learn about - bet most of us wear our larger chainrings far more than the smaller ones... And it's not all because of the massive powers we are outputting! ;)

I found this a great resource for all things di2. I haven’t replaced my shift battery yet, but it appears straightforward.
Yup, Terry is great! But good reminder to check there first rather than google - usually end up back there every time I index as a reminder of the process :D

Reactions: fez

fez

fez

Caporegime
Where the **** is spring. I think there has genuinely been about half a dozen days where it has actually been nice most of the day since the new year. Today, grey, chilly and drizzle. For the next 2 weeks thats pretty much the forecast with patch sun at times.

Soldato
Looking warmer from middle of this week here but still a fair bit of rain. Rode over to help at our club TT and it was zero when I left the house this morning. Full winter kit and had to pack a down coat for standing around, ffs.

Soldato
I got sick of the weather apps playing games about when the rain would start today, so flogged myself doing the first two Zwift Insider Tiny Races instead.

That was a baptism of fire, no chance of attempting the third or fourth race! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom