Road Tripping in the USA!

Caporegime
Just booked up for Canada in September into October. Flying into Calgary, pick up hire car. 1 week in an air BnB apartment in Canmore, lots of hiking and exploring. 2nd week driving to Jasper and staying in Alpine Village (looks incredible). Going to be a very active holiday...well honeymoon. On the way home we are going to stop I'm Vancouver for 3 nights as well. Can't bloody wait.

Car hire much the same as in America in terms of included insurances?

You should be ok with those dates, but be prepared for snow on the Parkway (and elsewhere) in late September/October. If there’s a big dump the road may be closed. Even if it’s open, depending on what you’re driving and your experience, you may have to do a detour through Edmonton to get back to Calgary (about 8 hours+ of boring driving).

If it does snow you’ll need winter rated tyres to legally drive it too (all seasons with snow flake symbol, avoid proper winters at that time of year unless it’s particularly cold). You’ll also want something with decent ground clearance so if you’re talking a Mustang or something then it’s diversion only in that situation.

You’ll probably be ok, but just be aware of the requirements in the Parks.

Also for hiking look at Kananaskis rather than just Banff park - the latter is full of tourists... :p. Again, be aware of weather. It normally starts snowing beginning to mid September on the higher elevations, and the beginning of November is start of ski season. It could be beautiful and warm, it could be -10 and a blizzard...

Drive the Smith Dorian from Canmore to the lakes and there’s lots of hiking opportunities along it (as well as wildlife). Highway 40 is also a great road, and there’s always sheep along it (unless I’m taking others to see them...).

Soldato
Hi guys, following on from my post a few pages ago, is this drive doable in a day if I pick up a hire car at LAX at 4-5am?

Well versed in driving long distances as drive between Scotland and Essex every couple of months in a slow 3.5tonne van which normally works out being 8-9 hours.

RLgzbkx.jpg

Soldato
There is almost no point if you are just going to drive it in one day. You will not have to time stop anywhere, explore or even take in the surroundings, just take the freeway.

If you are are going to spend at least a couple of days exploring the little towns, stopping at the beaches, big sur, countryside etc. and exploring. Totally.

Soldato
There is almost no point if you are just going to drive it in one day. You will not have to time stop anywhere, explore or even take in the surroundings, just take the freeway.

If you are are going to spend at least a couple of days exploring the little towns, stopping at the beaches, big sur, countryside etc. and exploring. Totally.

Is the scenery while driving not worth the extra couple of hours? Have a day set aside for the drive so 5 hours or 7 hours doesn't really make a huge difference :)

I've only got a week after a wedding in San Francisco, and want to go to the comedy store in LA and go to Santa Cruz for some mountain bike action, two places i've wanted to go since I was a kid.

Soldato
Is the scenery while driving not worth the extra couple of hours? Have a day set aside for the drive so 5 hours or 7 hours doesn't really make a huge difference :)

I've only got a week after a wedding in San Francisco, and want to go to the comedy store in LA and go to Santa Cruz for some mountain bike action, two places i've wanted to go since I was a kid.

I think you posted about this awhile back and most thought it wasn't the best idea. If you want to go ahead and do it then fine but I'm not sure its been fully thought through.

It's not just the 2 hours extra driving, the different route will make a huge difference to how fatigued you are at the end. Highway one is not isn't a freeway either, its a 2 lane country road, it isn't exactly straight and it's packed with cyclists and tourists, you'll need to concentrate fully.

How are you getting from the Comedy Store to LAX? It's only 13 miles but its about an hours drive or 2 hours by public transport. What time does the Comedy Store close? The acts are likely on to 10pm, so bed by midnight at the earliest? Up again at 3am-4am if you actually want to be on the road by 4am-5am once you factor in getting to the hire car place from a near by hotel and sorting all the paperwork etc.

Don't forget you have to actually spend the rest of the day in Santa Cruz doing stuff, I assume you'll be riding the bikes the next day? You'll likely be pretty tired before you even make the trip to LA from the wedding, jet lag and the general busyness of a 'city break'.

I think you said your main flights are booked in and out of San Fran. It makes more sense to spend that week going to Santa Cruz, doing mountain bikes etc., working down highway one, taking in the scenery and culture and go to LA last. Hit the comedy store, get a flight back to San Fran that evening or the next day and get your plane home. LA > SF flights are more frequent than most city centre bus services and it takes an hour. Doing 1000 miles to and from the Comedy Store right in the middle of the trip makes zero sense and is just dead time. If the dates don't work out then don't try and force it as you'll just regret it.

Man of Honour
OP
Hi guys, following on from my post a few pages ago, is this drive doable in a day if I pick up a hire car at LAX at 4-5am?

Well versed in driving long distances as drive between Scotland and Essex every couple of months in a slow 3.5tonne van which normally works out being 8-9 hours.

RLgzbkx.jpg

Pointless.

Soldato
It's pointless asking something like that on a forum really because it totally depends on your personal opinion. I'd happily do that drive and enjoy it, equally I know plenty of people who'd hate it. When I drove to Miami and back at xmas everyone told me it was a crazy idea and I'd hate it, we ended up loving it and saw loads of great places despite the time constraints. Only you can decide!

Man of Honour
OP
It's pointless because the road is really slow going and there is plenty to see. It's a total waste of a good opportunity. Spend a night at Monterey on the way up.

Soldato
Cheers for the replies guys.

Keen to drive it in a day as I’m not the biggest fan of having just one night in a place, half a day driving, then half a day here, rinse and repeat.

I’d rather spend more time in one place and properly explore if, and if I do see somewhere that I think I’d really like, I can always go back sometime :)

Soldato
I agree with everyone else.

You may as well just Google pictures of the PCH and take the fastest route. FWIW we did the same drive in 4 nights (1x Monterey, 1x San Luis Obispo, 2x Santa Barbara) and still feel like we missed a fair amount.

Soldato
No you shouldn’t. You should drive it and see it and stop along the way. Do a 7hr drive in 12-13hrs. Yes you’re going to miss loads of stuff but if there’s no other option you have to make the most of what you have. It’ll give you an idea of whether you want to go back there again and explore more.

It’s amazing that people are saying not to bother just because you can’t do it how’d they like to do it. We did an 8k mile trip around the US in 30days, one time driving pretty much non-stop for over 24hrs, spending 1-2 days in each city. I’m sure we missed loads of things but I now know which places I’d like to go spend more time and the places I don’t want to go again

Soldato
I'd drop a day elsewhere (inc San Fran) to add a night on PCH. The poster seems to suggest the reason he doesn't want to stop anywhere is because he doesn't like 1 night stops which seems crazy.

Soldato
So why drive one of the most iconic roads in the world at breakneck speed?

Are you then going to spend 4 days in San Francisco too? :p

Trip is currently Wednesday-Sunday in San Francisco. Girlfriends sisters wedding on Saturday.

Fly to LA Sunday afternoon and there through Tuesday AM.

Drive to Santa Cruz Tuesday day time, as Timmeh says above I won’t be racing along, but plan to get it done in a day.

Then Santa Cruz for a few days or mountain biking, thanksgiving and then will drop hire car off at SFO when I go back on the Sunday :)

No you shouldn’t. You should drive it and see it and stop along the way. Do a 7hr drive in 12-13hrs. Yes you’re going to miss loads of stuff but if there’s no other option you have to make the most of what you have. It’ll give you an idea of whether you want to go back there again and explore more.

It’s amazing that people are saying not to bother just because you can’t do it how’d they like to do it. We did an 8k mile trip around the US in 30days, one time driving pretty much non-stop for over 24hrs, spending 1-2 days in each city. I’m sure we missed loads of things but I now know which places I’d like to go spend more time and the places I don’t want to go again

This is my view personally, I get people would do it differently but different strokes for different folks and all that

I'd drop a day elsewhere (inc San Fran) to add a night on PCH. The poster seems to suggest the reason he doesn't want to stop anywhere is because he doesn't like 1 night stops which seems crazy.

Can’t drop a day in San Francisco as the wedding is on Saturday, and I can’t get away with ditching the girlfriend and her family till Sunday :p (She’s decided to buy a horse so doesn’t have the extra funds, I’m not completely heartless and telling her she can’t come :p)

I'd rather have an extra night in San Francisco than staying overnight in one of the quiet towns along PCH.

Just my 2p.

I’m a quiet town person over a busy city person personally. I prefer the outdoors and peace and quiet to the touristy hustle and bustle of a big city :)

Despite the conflicting views thanks for the replies guys, was after whether it was physically doable but gained lots more info for when when I go back (if I enjoy it that is :p)

Back
Top Bottom