Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
Still confusion over the car hire issue. I had to take the collision damage waiver extra because it just wasn't clear what my liability was if I didn't take it. The holding deposit was only $300 but I was being told I could still be liable for the whole vehicle in an accident.

https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance-help-centre/rental-car-insurance.html

This seems to suggest that Canadians would have some form of protection on their own car insurance policies which covers rentals too. Obviously from UK I don't think I would have this.

On another note - stop signs. They are everywhere. I didn't know at first that you have to stop even if nothing is coming. There's no concept of a main road and a side road it seems, all junctions have stop signs on them.

Soldato
Starting to plan for our Florida trip in February/March which hopefully will go ahead. So far I've up with the very rough itinerary below

Day 1 Stay at airport
Day 2 Florida Keys
Day 3 Florida Keys
Day 4 Miami
Day 5 Miami
Day 6 Miami
Day 7 Naples
Day 8 Naples
Day 9 Sanibel
Day 10 Tampa / St Petersberg
Day 11 Tampa / St Petersberg
Day 12 Orlando
Day 13 Orlando
Day 14 Orlando / drive back to airport

My main question so far is whether Key West is worth visiting. Not only does it add a 7 hour round trip but the hotels might be more expensive than anywhere I've ever visited. We enjoy snorkling and I'd like to see Dry Tortugas which looks like a unique place to visit, so it would be a shame to miss out.

From the above itinerary is there anything we're obviously missing?

yeesh, planning a West coast road trip for next year. Flights are not too bad but hire car prices have gone absolutely nuts. We are looking at paying near as dammit triple what we did in 2018 for the same period.
It is ridiculous. I've had to book a car at Fort Lauderdale airport which will mean £100 or so in taxi fares to get there and back from Miami airport, but I'm still saving £1,500 against the prices of hiring in Miami!

Soldato
We did a similar trip back in 2009 and had a similar itenary but did Miami first, down to the keys and back up through the eveglades. I would say Key West was a highlight of that trip, it's a unique drive down there and an interesting place to wander around eat key lime pie and watch the sunset. To get out to the Dry Tortugas you may need more time though.

Associate
Planning on spending a month in America and just buying a banger there to travel with. What are the rules for foreigners owning cars there?

Soldato
Planning on spending a month in America and just buying a banger there to travel with. What are the rules for foreigners owning cars there?

It varies by state but it'll be virtually impossible in many of them to register a car if you're not a US resident - you'll need stuff you don't have like a social security number. Insurance will be an issue too.

Just rent a car, it's far easier.

Soldato

Pretty sure it is possible in some states as I’ve seen dealership adverts offering it but it’s almost certainly easier to rent a car. Anything that you could actually trust to take you around reliably would be pretty expensive too.

Soldato
Thought I would ask this in here, I'm travelling to Miami in April and hiring a car what do I have to look out for insurance and drivers licence?
Am I correct in thinking I only need to take my UK license and that is enough?

Insurance wise my rental covers
  • Additional liability insurance
  • CDW with $0 excess
  • Theft protection with $0 excess
  • unlimited mileage
  • Taxes
Am I correct in thinking if I do crash I am covered without having to pay any stupidly high excess fee?

Soldato
Your DVLA check code may be needed.

If you have a $0 CDW then you don’t need any other insurance. They’ll probably try to sell you breakdown cover.

Associate
I'm planning a trip to the west coast this year. anyone have any suggestions? Looking to do the pacific highway from LA to SF, then to yosemite, then Vegas and back to LA via san diego.

Associate
Search this thread, there's a lot of info
thanks, a lot to go through!

@Johno please? When are you going?

Tioga might not actually be open when you go, it's closed for half the year. The snow has been pretty bad 2 of the last 3 years and it's not opened until well into June. The alternative route is south via Bakersfield and Fresno. I ended up having to go that way because of how late it opened in 2017, its a long drive once you get out of DV but well worth it for Yosemite.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm
What about flying from Fresno to LV if visiting Yosemite?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom