Robotic lawn mowers

Associate
Yeah installing the boundary wire a ball-ache. What is worse is when the landroid gets stuck on a border, then the wheels churn the wire, and then proceeds to cut it. I have found double end barrel crimps are a good way of repairing and damage done.

Soldato
My M700 has been fairly hit and miss since I installed it last November. I would say my garden is decently challenging given the shape and 'terrain' (not to mention fallen branches, leaves and children's toys), but I didn't expect as much difficulty as I've had.

It mostly comes down to three things.

First I need to be more clever about how the wire is set up. Sadly, I need to be more forgiving around corners and obstacles, as he just gets in a tizz all too often navigating around things.

Secondly, his traction is not what I'd hoped for. Any part of the garden that isn't nice easy turf is subject to getting ripped up by the wheels, often requiring a rescue and tidy up job.

Thirdly, I do have a lot of immovable obstacles (i.e. raised beds), and he just doesn't get as much of a clear path, or nice open space, as he'd like.

I haven't given up hope yet, just need to buy some more cables and connectors and find a spare 3 hours to sort it out.

Almost forgot to mention, he managed to cut his own wire the other day. You'd think that wouldn't be possible, but there we are. I really did do a proper job of nailing them all down when I first did it, but I imagine over time he might have indirectly dug it up himself, then somehow got tangled with it.

Associate
My M700 is similar. I have installed the boundary wire a little too close to the borders (I used the template) so its going to be another afternoon moving them away from the borders. When its taken a nose dive into the borders it tends to do a pretty good hatchet job on the boundary wire (I just solder in a new piece and cover it in double heat shrink) but these are all teething issues. Overall I am still very happy with it.

Associate
Can I ask where people are buying their Landroids from? I am tempted by the Landroid over a Husqvarna, but while there are several Husqvarna dealers who will come to the house to look at the garden and install boundary wires, I can't find any Landroid dealers that do the same thing. I am not sure that I would be confident in laying the large amount of wire correctly.

Caporegime
OP
Can I ask where people are buying their Landroids from? I am tempted by the Landroid over a Husqvarna, but while there are several Husqvarna dealers who will come to the house to look at the garden and install boundary wires, I can't find any Landroid dealers that do the same thing. I am not sure that I would be confident in laying the large amount of wire correctly.
I got mine from Worx's eBay store.

Man of Honour
I’d love one, but my lawn is small compared to some here. Plus I have a small one at the front (which I’ve been thinking about removing anyway as it’s mostly dead), plus another patch I have to now. My dog hates the current mower as it is so I could see him chasing a robot one around! Also, my lawn is a step lower than the patio area so I'm not sure what I could do about the base station.

Last edited:
Soldato
After ongoing issues with my landroid not making it back to home at the end of a mow due to getting stuck in places around the perimeter, I did a complete fresh lay of the cable on the weekend. Took about 2 hours, but so far so good. I have raised the cutter up from 30mm to 40mm as a precaution against cutting the cable before it beds in a bit.

Wondering if anyone else has added weight or upgraded wheels to their landroid for extra traction? See this mentioned a lot on the landroid subreddit (r/worxlandroid). I don't have any particularly bad slopes, but he does struggle for traction occasionally. I just wonder if the big spiked wheels you see might be in danger of damaing the cable, anyone tried them?

Soldato
Not on the landroid but i added the 'terrain kit' to my Husqvarna 420 which is more knobbly wheels with brushes to keep them clean and it made a notable difference in how well it handled the slopes in my garden, well worth the 50 quid.

Caporegime
OP
After ongoing issues with my landroid not making it back to home at the end of a mow due to getting stuck in places around the perimeter, I did a complete fresh lay of the cable on the weekend. Took about 2 hours, but so far so good. I have raised the cutter up from 30mm to 40mm as a precaution against cutting the cable before it beds in a bit.

Wondering if anyone else has added weight or upgraded wheels to their landroid for extra traction? See this mentioned a lot on the landroid subreddit (r/worxlandroid). I don't have any particularly bad slopes, but he does struggle for traction occasionally. I just wonder if the big spiked wheels you see might be in danger of damaing the cable, anyone tried them?
I've literally just received and fitted these from Etsy for my L1500 / WR153E, due to issues with it sliding beyond the boundary wire on a slight slope next to one flower bed.

So far so good; easy to fit but not confident in the tightness of the screws as they're going into the plastic wheels, and I've seen reports of the mower slipping on the base station with these on. It's immediately obvious that it turns much more accurately and doesn't scuff any more though. We'll see.

3oxroQg.png

Soldato
I've literally just received and fitted these from Etsy for my L1500 / WR153E, due to issues with it sliding beyond the boundary wire on a slight slope next to one flower bed.

So far so good; easy to fit but not confident in the tightness of the screws as they're going into the plastic wheels, and I've seen reports of the mower slipping on the base station with these on. It's immediately obvious that it turns much more accurately and doesn't scuff any more though. We'll see.

3oxroQg.png
Ah nice one, thanks for posting that. Will be interested to see what you make of it, especially if you think there's a chance or (hopefully not) you get damage to the perimeter wire.

Have also read that extra weight at the rear can improve traction, so I think I'm going to give that a go with some hillbilly engineering before trying the wheel upgrade.

Associate
Bought a husqvarna automower. Glad i did, like other said it's tedious putting the boundary wire in but once that's done just sit back and watch it work. Grass hadn't been cut all winter so in places it was taller than the robot, needed a few pushes to get through the thick stuff and especially when going uphill but it's done an amazing job!!
Just need to sort some outside power for it now instead of running the transformer through an open window..

Associate
They are fantastic. I'm sat here in the garden right now. Suns shining, i'm drinking tea and my lawn looks great as the mower took care of it this morning for me.

Back
Top Bottom