Rocket Lake or AMD 5000

Associate
Hi All

Looking to upgrade my 9yr old 3rd gen Intel system. I use it for internet,email, 1080p/4k video watching and virtualisation (using VMware Workstation Pro). I can't decide between AMD (3000 or 5000 series) or Intel (11th Gen Rocket Lake).

I've been considering the following:

Intel:
Intel Core i5 11600KF
Asus Strix B560-F
2 x 16GB 3200Mhz
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB

AMD:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Strix B550-F
2 x 16GB 3200Mhz
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB

Each of the above systems are almost the same price. The main difference I can tell is that the Intel CPU uses 125W and the AMD uses 65W.

I was also considering paying the extra for the 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 5600X but that would add about £120 for the AMD system.

I can't seem to make up my mind, help please ;) I do want the system to last at least 5+ years.

Since I've waited this long if there's anything new coming around the corner I could wait a bit longer to upgrade! :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd go for a b560+ 11400F combo as right now that offers the best bang for your buck.

The price of each system is the same (give or take £20) so why B560/Intel?

The thing I don't get with the new Intel CPUs is, same have low base clock speeds, does this matter compared to higher base clocked CPUs?

Soldato
The price of each system is the same (give or take £20) so why B560/Intel?
Because it's faster while being cheaper if you go with a 11400F.
The thing I don't get with the new Intel CPUs is, same have low base clock speeds, does this matter compared to higher base clocked CPUs?

The base clock is the speed that the CPU would need to run at to stay within TDP so a 65W CPU will always have a lower base clock than a 125w CPU but the CPUs will run boost clocks so almost always run over what the TDP states.

The 5600X is faster than both by around 10-15% in all core workloads but then its double the price

Associate
OP
Aaaah ok thanks. So I'm assuming if you have a lower clocked base CPU of say 2.6Ghz that can boost to 4.2Ghz and a higher base clocked CPU of 3.6Ghz that can boost to 4.2Ghz the performance is the same?

Associate
I think AMD seems to be the safe bet if considering budget. The 3600 is actually cheaper now compared to the 11400, at least on the OCUK store. As you need to get a aftermarket cooler for the rocket lake which adds to the cost as the stock cooler isn't that good.

Associate
OP
I think AMD seems to be the safe bet if considering budget. The 3600 is actually cheaper now, at least on the OCUK store. Also you need to get a aftermarket cooler for the rocket lake which adds to the cost.

I already have a CPU cooler so all set on that side. Why is AMD the "safer" bet? The nice thing about Intel Rocket Lake is that it was released recently so its new tech. The Ryzen 5 3600 feels much older although is great value.

Hard to decide here.

Soldato
Flip a coin TBH, but the AM4 has a much better choice if you want to keep your system 5+ years as you've quoted. In year 3, you could probably pick up a cheap 5950x and drop it in if you feel you need MOAR cores, or MOAR power!!!

Associate
OP
Flip a coin TBH, but the AM4 has a much better choice if you want to keep your system 5+ years as you've quoted. In year 3, you could probably pick up a cheap 5950x and drop it in if you feel you need MOAR cores, or MOAR power!!!

haha, yes! AM4 gives great flexibility for future upgrades. Oh damn, this is a tough call.

The difference in price between the 11400F system and the Ryzen 5 5600x is about £115...

Soldato
haha, yes! AM4 gives great flexibility for future upgrades. Oh damn, this is a tough call.

The difference in price between the 11400F system and the Ryzen 5 5600x is about £115...

You are coming from a 3xxx Intel CPU, either will make a massive difference, and you'd not be able to tell either of them apart easily just by eye. £115 extra is a bit much IMO unless you must have the fastest 6-core, in 6-9 months time it will likely only cost you £115 to get one used, and you'd have residual value in the 3600 if you want to look at it from that direction.

Associate
OP
I don't need the fastest 6 core right now. If I can get everything done on my 9yr old PC I'm sure the 3600 will do just fine. Having an AM4 system then gives me great options/flexibility going forward to upgrade to an AMD 5000 CPU (6/8/12/16 core!). Everyone seems to love the 3600!

Associate
The flexibility to upgrade is great with the 3600, but I doubt you'll be upgrading since you mention wanting to last 5+ years. At the end of 5 years or even 2 years, the CPU landscape could be dramatically changed. Especially with DDR5 ram being announced recently. I think either way both the intel and AMD is fine, I guess intel is more appealing since its newer, so get that I guess?

Soldato
I don't need the fastest 6 core right now. If I can get everything done on my 9yr old PC I'm sure the 3600 will do just fine. Having an AM4 system then gives me great options/flexibility going forward to upgrade to an AMD 5000 CPU (6/8/12/16 core!). Everyone seems to love the 3600!

I'd rather have flexibility that a few % extra performance if you aren't going to need it, or notice it right away.

As for loving the R5 3600, when in launched it was great, and 6 months later when it was selling at ~£140 it was unbeatable VFM, right now it is a solid middle ground choice, neither amazing or rubbish, but the higher pricing is somewhat annoying.

Associate
I'd go with the Ryzen 3600 build. As others have said, it gives you a better upgrade path if you want to drop in a better CPU in a few years' time. It's also a very solid CPU in its own right and will be a big upgrade over your current system.

Associate
If you're going for the AMD option (perhaps better with upgrade options as previously suggested eg to 5000 series down the line) then I'd stick with the 3600 for now. The added price tag on the 5600 really isn't worth it compared to the 3600.

Soldato
If you're going for the AMD option (perhaps better with upgrade options as previously suggested eg to 5000 series down the line) then I'd stick with the 3600 for now. The added price tag on the 5600 really isn't worth it compared to the 3600.
If your going to do that then you might aswell just go with the 5000 CPU now as buying a 3600 then upgrading in a couple of years time will probably end up costing the same as just going for 5600X now with 2 years of lower performance.

Though I'd still recommend the 11400F as its so cheap with performance just under the 5600X and rather than upgrading the CPU just upgrade to what ever the new stuff is in 3 years time which will heavily outperform the current offerings.

Soldato
The 3600 was great a year ago and even 6 months ago, however now, I feel it's time has passed really, for a new purchase at least (it's a great used purchase), I would 'only' recommend it if it's intentionally a stop gap before putting a much more powerful Ryzen 5000 series chip in further down the line, if it's just going to be the only chip until you retire that system I would suggest the Intel 11400 instead because it's quite a bit faster, not just a little bit and you can also upgrade that later to a 10850k if you want to (get a aboard with a beefy enough VRM though).

The only reason that it's still part of the conversation for a new build now is because AMD don't have any price equivalent replacement for it yet. If you are buying a CPU in the sub £250ish market now I would suggest Intel. The problem even the 5600X has are the 10th gen 8 core Intel's are offering great value now and so are the 10th gen 10 core chips for that matter although they do cost more than a 5600X but less than a 5800X.

The 5600X and 5800X in many respects perform more like an Intel with 2 extra cores but not in all things, it depends exactly what you are doing really and or what you might intend to do in the future. The best way of looking at the AMD platform now I think is you can use PCIE-4 and you can put a 12 or 16 core chip in later if you want to. The Intel platform doesn't offer that kind of core count at all and you can only use PCIE-4 with an 11th gen chip of which only the 6 core ones are worth buying at the current prices. The AMD platform is better all said and done but it doesn't offering better value at the mid to lower end. Both platforms are end of life now though, there won't be any new generation chips for either, both will require new motherboards and probably DDR5 memory aswell at this point.

Quick note aswell though, if I wasn't clear enough when 'upgrading' an 11th gen to a 10th gen with more cores, which I assume quite a few people will likely do this at some point in the future given that you can get 10 core parts for 10th gen and no such thing exists for 11th gen, bear in mind if you happen to be using a PCI-E 4 NVME at that point ...it's a no go, got to stay on 11th gen to use those.

Last edited:
Associate
If your going to do that then you might aswell just go with the 5000 CPU now as buying a 3600 then upgrading in a couple of years time will probably end up costing the same as just going for 5600X now with 2 years of lower performance.

Though I'd still recommend the 11400F as its so cheap with performance just under the 5600X and rather than upgrading the CPU just upgrade to what ever the new stuff is in 3 years time which will heavily outperform the current offerings.

Thats a fair point!

Associate
I think AMD seems to be the safe bet if considering budget. The 3600 is actually cheaper now compared to the 11400, at least on the OCUK store. As you need to get a aftermarket cooler for the rocket lake which adds to the cost as the stock cooler isn't that good.

both the i5-10400f and i5-11400f outperform the 3600 in games

and use bugger all power and heat is not a issue run my 10400f with a corsair h60 on air intake and its never been over 60

almost certain this system will get a decent run like my last one

might pass it onto my son in a couple of years time but that will be my only reason to change it

Last edited:
Associate
You have an aftermarket cooler so you're fine. Just a warning, the 11400 consume considerably more power than the 10400, the 65W TDP is a lie.

Back
Top Bottom