Rocket Lake or AMD 5000

Soldato
You have an aftermarket cooler so you're fine. Just a warning, the 11400 consume considerably more power than the 10400, the 65W TDP is a lie.
The TDP isn't a lie it's just what the CPU consumes at base clock.

AMDs CPUs work in a similar way also consuming more power than what's on the box.

Associate
An i7-9700KF can be had for 175 pounds, new Z390 motherboards start at 90 pounds. If you want to keep the system for 5 years and run virtual machines 8 cores are a good idea. Plus you can have fun overclocking.

Associate
OP
Thanks to everyone for your reply/input!

I'm lucky in that I am able increase my budget for this build quite a bit so have decided to go for an 8 core build rather and go all NVMe storage. I'm leaning towards Intel at this point so how do these parts look:

• Intel Core i7 11700KF
  • Asus ROG Strix Z590-F
  • 2 x 16GB 3600Mhz Corsair
  • Samsung 980 Pro 500GB - system boot drive
  • Seagate Firecuda 520 - 1TB- used for data storage and a few VMs
  • WD Blue SN550 2TB - backup drive with versioning

The Samsung and Seagate drive are PCIe 4.0 as I want maximum performance/IOPS for running VMs/Windows/Programs. The backup WD is a nice to have but will really help with the daily backups I make of VMs and all data.

My current setup is almost 9yrs old as I spent extra on it last time so now that I can do this again I'm hoping it will last up to 9yrs again!

Soldato
My current setup is almost 9yrs old as I spent extra on it last time so now that I can do this again I'm hoping it will last up to 9yrs again!
Standard 8 core isn't the way for that.
That's current console level.

The backup WD is a nice to have but will really help with the daily backups I make of VMs and all data.
Backup is something which isn't affected by say possible lightning strike frying your PC or every malware/user error.

Soldato
Couple of thoughts on this, firstly your backup, as EsaT said ...no, don't do it that way, for backups you want to do it to something that is seperate to your machine and not connected to it all the time, so either a different system entirely, NAS or whatever or really the best and simplest way for most people is just use an external hard drive, connect it to backup and then disconnect it. This is what I do, plus I have a copy of that hard drive I update every month or so (my important files don't change that fast generally) I keep at my mothers house.

If you want scheduled backups nightly then you're gonna need to backup up to another system that's up all the time of course, a fileserver or NAS ideally but I would still be weary of that to a point for a couple of reasons, if it's permanently running off the same power as the rest of your house it could suffer in the event of some sort of transient event, a good PDU with battery backup will help here, however in the event of fire or flood though ...not so much or a disaster like that it's worth thinking carefully if you should keep anything 'offsite'.

Also one you can configure your way around and a lot of people don't consider is the possibility of simple network exposure, for example if the backup location is easily accessible from your desktops via the LAN you could fall foul of a virus than encrypts not only your files on the infected desktop but also spreads and gets all your backups aswell ...I'm kind of painting worst case scenarios here but that's also part of my job being involved in running data centre operations for a software company so ...just bear this in mind, how secure do you really want those files to be?

If it's just a convenience thing you can tier it, so have a nice fast backup to another system in your house so you can restore your system quickly if you need to, but have a more secure offsite file backup to public cloud for your really important stuff perhaps. This can take a while to do an initial upload of but unless you are cranking out a lot of file changes should be quite manageably to sync to after the initial upload, however do bear in mind the encryption virus scenario still with this if it's just permanently syncing to cloud storage from your desktop, it's always best to have an offline copy somewhere.

Next thought is more of an observation as to the way I see hardware and software developing at the moment, I think the time of keeping a system for 9 years has passed now, I seriously doubt we will see that again for a while and if you wanted a chance at that you'ed need to be looking at something more like a Ryzen 5950X I reckon. I think 5 years will be a more reasonable expectation given the pace of development has picked up a lot the last 2 years but I don't see it being quite like the '90s and early '00s where you were thankful to get 2 years.

Finally, a technical thought, I 'believe' a Z590 system is only going to give you PCIe 4 support to a single M2 slot, usually the top one nearest the CPU. Bear in mind you only have 20 PCIe lanes direct to the CPU, 16 for the GPU and 4 for a storage device is typically how they are divided. Everything else will need to run through the chipset and without going away and doing some reading I am not sure that supports PCIe 4 on Z590 ...in the AMD world you need X570 for that as B550 can't do it either. As I say not 100% sure on this scenario with Z590 but I would be careful here, I would not be surprised if you can only use 1 PCIe 4 storage device and then have to drop down to PCIe 3 for the rest via the chipset.

Edit: I did some reading for you as I was curious, yes I was right, you're only going to get one nvme gen 4 storage device to work with a Z590 system ...unless you use a PCIe 4 nvme expansion card in your top PCIe slot so you can use the GPU lanes for it.

The chipset lanes of which there are 24 are PCIe 3, so given the limitation is actually the DMI link from the chipset to the CPU here not the total number of lanes, you actually have enough bandwidth theoretically to run 2 x nvme gen 3 drives at full speed off the chipset.

Have a look at these articles if you want to have a look for yourself.

https://laurentschoice.com/2021/tech-news/4782/
https://techteamgb.co.uk/2021/01/29/z590-explained-pcie-gen-4/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Moeks: Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand what you mean re backups so maybe I should explain a bit more how I do backups :) I use the drive in my PC as an online backup and it also has versioning so I can go back to files/folders from different dates. This is like a convenient backup where I can quickly restore something when needed. Lets call this my online backup. Then I have my offline backup. This is a USB drive I keep in the same house as my PC. Then I have an offsite backup which I keep at a relatives house in another country which is another USB drive. On top of all that I also backup to the cloud in real time (phew). I also have a UPS for my PC...

I reckon for what I use a PC for I can upgrade my existing PC to something new that will last at least 5 years and possibly 8+ years. I'm seriously thinking about getting the 8 or 12 core AMD 5000 CPU but want to do some more research before pulling the trigger.

I'm out of touch with CPU news, will there be a refresh of AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs this year that is worth waiting for? My PC is so old so whats another 6 months of waiting lol

Caporegime
The TDP isn't a lie it's just what the CPU consumes at base clock.

AMDs CPUs work in a similar way also consuming more power than what's on the box.

I think at stock AMDs CPUs stick quite rigidly to their TDP limit and its just when PBO2 is turned on they can go above this?

Intels TDP rating on the other hand is just make believe.

Soldato
I think at stock AMDs CPUs stick quite rigidly to their TDP limit and its just when PBO2 is turned on they can go above this?

Intels TDP rating on the other hand is just make believe.
My 3600 pulled around 88w and my 5800X around 142w at stock so they do consume more than what's on the box.

Caporegime
Soldato
There's a nice deep dive on Anandtech:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1621...e-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/8

AMD is a lot tighter on power limits than Intel. You're right they do use above the TDP rating but marginally compared to Intel.
I think it's just down to AMD 7nm being much more efficient than Intel and also AMD have dynamic all core clocks depending on how heavy the load is so for example R20 runs at 4650mhz on my 5800X while prime lowers that to around 4450while Intel just have a set all core turbo speed.

Soldato
@Moeks: Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand what you mean re backups so maybe I should explain a bit more how I do backups :) I use the drive in my PC as an online backup and it also has versioning so I can go back to files/folders from different dates. This is like a convenient backup where I can quickly restore something when needed. Lets call this my online backup. Then I have my offline backup. This is a USB drive I keep in the same house as my PC. Then I have an offsite backup which I keep at a relatives house in another country which is another USB drive. On top of all that I also backup to the cloud in real time (phew). I also have a UPS for my PC...

I reckon for what I use a PC for I can upgrade my existing PC to something new that will last at least 5 years and possibly 8+ years. I'm seriously thinking about getting the 8 or 12 core AMD 5000 CPU but want to do some more research before pulling the trigger.

I'm out of touch with CPU news, will there be a refresh of AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs this year that is worth waiting for? My PC is so old so whats another 6 months of waiting lol

Ok sounds like you're on-top of all that then. Did you read the last bit about the number of nvme gen 4 devices you can actually use (at gen4) on a Z590 board though? ...might want to look at that before you buy anything given the price difference between gen 3 and gen 4 drives at the moment.

Soldato
My 3600 pulled around 88w and my 5800X around 142w at stock so they do consume more than what's on the box.

But the disparity in power draw between Intel & AMD s massive ATM, although I don't factor that in when buying a CPU.
Personally, I'd go 3600 for future flexibility or 11400 for current VFM

index.php

Associate
OP
Ok, am trying to finalise the shopping list so here is what I have so far taking all the helpful feedback into account. I've decided to high end and spend more as I am building this with 5+ years in mind:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (plus optional TPM for Bitlocker)
  • Corsair 2 x 16GB 3600Mhz
  • Samsung 980 Pro 500GB(boot/system drive)
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Data/VM drive)
  • BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4CPU cooler
I'll be reusing my PSU, GPU, case and SATA SSDs (these will be used for my online backups).

The motherboard has 8 SATA ports, can they all be used if I have two M2 drives installed?

Also. are there enough PCIe lanes to add a third M2 drive using one of the PCIe slots? The plan is to replace the SATA drives with single M2 drive later on.

Back
Top Bottom