Rodent Infestation Yikes!!

Soldato
Killing them serves what purpose?

I let them loose in a forest *shrug* I wouldn't be letting them loose on a field next to someones hoose lol.
I always believed they may be able to find their way back so drove a few miles first haha

Aye missed this nasty ******** things them like

The one I linked above I filled with peanut butter, chocolate and some bird seed
They had a temporary stay in my big plastic hotel, then get to live their lives in the forest

Killing them is quick and humane? Releasing them elsewhere isn't necessarily so if they're house mice they don't live outdoors they're a tropical species and can't survive the winter here sometimes in a hot summer they will move outdoors but they don't survive the change in the weather for long

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Think i'll try the steel wool and expanding foam option, as the expanding foam by itself was successful, albeit temporarily.
What is the best way to do this. I have a one-inch drill bit, I could drill holes in the skirting boards, then shove in as much steel wool as possible, then inject in the expanding foam.
How much foam do i need to put in? Is this to act like a glue and hold the steel wool into place, so i may only need a small amount? How much steel wool do you think is best?
Many thanks

Soldato
Think i'll try the steel wool and expanding foam option, as the expanding foam by itself was successful, albeit temporarily.
What is the best way to do this. I have a one-inch drill bit, I could drill holes in the skirting boards, then shove in as much steel wool as possible, then inject in the expanding foam.
How much foam do i need to put in? Is this to act like a glue and hold the steel wool into place, so i may only need a small amount? How much steel wool do you think is best?
Many thanks

How are they entering the property/walls? That's a key thing, finding the source of the issue. Drilling holes in the skirting boards makes me think they're already in the perimeter of the house at that point.

It's possible they're sleeping in the structure during the day (maybe loft ) and then venturing out at night so if blocking them in they will try to find another route out.

Hope you get it sorted. It's not a nice experience :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
Many thanks

Stuff the space with as much wire wool as possible, dont rely on expanding foam to hold its place as it will eventually come loose once they have eaten through it.

Soldato
Pest control is really expensive these days. I recommend a few home made traps like water buckets with peanut butter as bait as well as a decent air rifle. Have some fun while you to it I say

Soldato
Pest control is really expensive these days. I recommend a few home made traps like water buckets with peanut butter as bait as well as a decent air rifle. Have some fun while you to it I say
I paid like £140 to £160 18 months ago. Thought it was pretty reasonable to end a stressful & horrible situation. Private pest controllers can't push rate too much as councils also offer the service.

VB6

VB6

Associate
1 part baking soda, 2 parts peanut butter. Mix in a bowl with rubber gloves (no human scent which they are careful of) and mix into small balls. Place under cover where you see them just before it goes dark. The baking soda expands inside the rat to create gas they can't get rid of. It will take longer than normal poison but is more environmentally friendly to the rest of the food chain.

Soldato
Cheeky buggers found their way into my garage and ate 2/3s of a 12kg bag of Arden Grange dog food.

I need to send the cats in for half a day to suss out where they are getting in.

Associate
I had some mice in a house I used to own, used some humane traps that capture them so I could release them into the wild once caught. First time I used it I noticed it was closed and when I picked it up it felt very light so I said to my wife there's nothing in here and opened it, scared mouse running around the kitchen worktop and wife going mad at the same time wasn't fun. Caught it and took it away in the car and let it go.

Still thought I had some some reset it and then went on holiday (forgot I had set it). Came back to dead mouse and lots of scratch marks on the inside of the trap. Not very humane now are you trap.

Soldato
Sorry for the thread bump. I've been sat watching the tennis with my back door open. Saw a rat wander in, bold as brass, and then leg it into my flat before I could do anything. I think at the moment I just have one rat, but I've no idea where it is, and obviously I want to deal with it before risking it becoming multiple rats.

Any ideas? Based on the above snap traps look like the best way to go? I live in London, so humane traps won't help - there's nowhere nearby to put live rats...

Permabanned
Mix flour, plaster of Paris and a sachet of Cup `a' Soup and put it by the entrances and exits they use, or in the cavity if you have access. It's no surprise they chew thrpugh expanding foam, they will, literally, chew through a concrete raft if they can smell food nearby. Rat traps in plastic or ceramic drain pipes will work. Or a dog that's a good ratter. I could hire out Roland Ratter here for a fee :) Giant Schnauzer cross Standard Poodle mongrel, he should be too big and slow to be a good ratter, but it seems no one told him...

Soldato
So I've done a bit more rat investigation. I've taken the panel of the bath off, and there are tons of droppings under there. I've no idea whether there are still rats living there (I've been shutting the bathroom door, so there's no way for them to get into the rest of the flat for food, but they could easily be climbing to the flat upstairs to eat). I also don't know how they're getting in - whether they can access the underside of the bath through the outside wall, whether one came up through the toilet initially (I leave the lid down now and it's pretty heavy) or whether it was just the one who came in through my back door when it was open.

What's the best thing to do from here? Clean up the droppings as best I can, set some traps and see if any more rats turn up? If not then I guess problem solved and I'll just leave the toilet lid down.

Edit: also, the smell under there is ******* gross. You didn't need to know that, but I just needed to vent!

Back
Top Bottom