ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Associate
OP
Breach of NDA . the m.2 shouldn't take up a Sata port though :) its only boards with 2 m.2 which one runs at a slower rate that you have to read up carefully
thankyou, i didnt realise the nda covered motherboards as well as the cpu's, theres plenty of other 370 manuals (the taichi for example) just the hero wasnt available

Associate
OP
Got mine running 3.7 CPU with RAM at 2966.

Think I'll leave it at that until i get my Kraken mount (fu nzxt) and the BIOS matures.

I'd recommend the 1001 BIOS though, much more stable in my experience.
would u recommend the ch6 with the current bios as a good stable board choice?

Associate
OP
I think with the latest bios or 0902 the board is fine, just don't expect to run you ram at full speed and expect the odd bug or two in the bios or voltage/temp read out. But so far mines been fine when I have just set the ram to 2666 and not touched anything else. Only goes wrong when I start messing about with other stuff.

As far as I can tell I think most of the issues are related to the AM4 platform in general and not this board. Looks like in a week or 2 there could be the first update from AMD which will hopefully sort a few things out.
thankyou, were would one find this amd update when its released, or will it be pushed out to the board manufacturers

Associate
OP
I wouldn't not recommend it, but it's still a very expensive board that is likely to go far beyond what i ever actually need, the design is over engineered.

If you want something to OC your CPU and provide you with some tinkering a decent B350 board like the Gaming 3 could do the job.

If you need lots of ports though and love the aesthetics it's hard to look past it.

Stability wise, seems fine within the limitations of the platform, and of real benefit is the already brimming community, much more helpful than any official support service could offer.
i am considering the ch6 and the taichi, but the latter is nowhere to be found.

Associate
OP
iv been reading here and elsewhere about lots of issues on various bios with overclocking. what about stock, both cpu and ram, are there the same amount of bugs?

Associate
OP
jesus wept that makes me nervous as an imminent board buyer.
No I had no issues with it. On the contrary was working faster than on the Z170 Formula OC.

However I had to return my C6H today. Last night decided to shut down as I was playing, and since then cannot boot it up.
The error code 8 is showing and nothing else :(

Tried numerous times to flash it with 0902, 1001, 0038, removed battery and power, re installed the CPU. Nothing.

Associate
OP
is it ryzen bricking all these boards or a poor design by asus?
I didn't overclock mine. It was a 1700X running at stock speeds. Even the 3600Mhz ram was working at 2133 profile.
The main issue was not stability etc but the damn motherboard having a fit every so often, by just restarting the PC as happened earlier last night and took me an hour to make it boot. But the second time it just died the moment I was playing WOT, after I had watched the 8K video everyone was raving about. Everythined tried on it, was coming up with error 8 and thats it. (fans were spinning).

Maybe you will be luckier like everyone else. However I ended up on the 50% of the failures and bricked motherboards.

However 22 years I am building and overclocking my own new PCs every 8-12 months, and having build hundreds for clients over the years, first time I am experiencing such issues. Except once around 2005-6 with another Asus board, but not that severe issue, managed to stabilize my clients PC after BIOS update and he hadn't reported to me back with issues.

Don't get me wrong. The product and tech is great, see all the others having their systems overclocked chewing every task on their path.

Associate
OP
would u say ryzen is to be avoided altogether or just the ch6, im building a new pc and i am trying to choose between ryzen and the 7700k. sorry about ur board.
Am now returning my CH6 through OCUK. Its randomly overvolted my CPU to 1.7v as per this older thread. twice over a few hours of tweaking in the bios.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84041-Cpu-overvoltage-error

Not impressed.....less impressed when I see its on an older board as well.

Associate
OP
Ryzen is ace! This board is not. My 3.7 @ 1.225 (what It was on when ch6 decided 1.7v was better) is no longer stable. This board has damaged my chip. I will be getting another 1700 now. My last three boards have been gigabyte. Only issue I've had with them is a touch of lag in the bois. This will be my last Asus motherboard. I'm sure most won't have this issue and if they don't It's a decent board. So I'm not going to tell people not to buy a CH6 but from a personal point of view you can see how damaging a cpu is pretty much as bad as I motherboard issue can get. Especially when the same issue is being reported in earlier models with no word from Asus. That is enough to swear me off. Will order a k7 now.
is the k7 a more stable problem free board?

Associate
OP
From what I've heard there are less issues, I only went ch6 due to availability otherwise k7 would have been my choice. Gigabyte issues can be fixed via bios. More importantly they won't stick stupid volts through your cpu and damage a £300 component which judging by that old thread asus couldn't care less about
is the k7 readily available yet?

Back
Top Bottom