ROG Zenith Extreme fault - Q-code 68, twice!

Associate
Hi Guys,

Just built a new system - Specs essentially 2x 1080TIs, 1950X, Rog Zenith, 64 GB Corsair dominator RAM, 2 X NVME SSDs..

So story starts with attempt one - got it all working, filled up the CPU loop and then went onto getting 8 DIMMs working (we all know this never happens first go so just started the build with 2).

Put Dimm 3 in and booted - (i'd already installed Windows etc by this point) - got a random restart and then failed POST on a Q-Code 68. This is the PCI Host Bridge initialization (with a CHECK CPU error).. Took everything out and even in barebones just no POST (reset CMOS, tried different BIOS etc etc)

So RMA time..

Got a replacement board and CPU, got to exactly the same point in the build but this time had all RAM in and working. Changed the timings using the XMP profile just as performance was lacking on memory.

Restarted, got 3 fast beeps and it auto re-started and then no POST on q-code 68 again.

I've tested another graphics card (older 980ti) another EVGA supernova PSU and different RAM and still failed post.

Now - seemingly from every forum post no-one has ever fixed this and it's RMA, but i guess my question is has anyone ever seen it or know the cause? The only thing i can think of is i have a faulty RAM stick that's causing a short somewhere on the board, but even so i've never heard of that happening and i've built enough systems in my time! 2 RMAs in the same week for the same fault is just a bit too weird for me to accept.

Appreciate any advice or knowledge here!

Associate
OP
I RMAed both my boards / CPUs. Alex in returns is aware... We found 3 pins on the board that had rust on. The only thing i can think of that i did to both was a firmware update.

I would RMA and get a new board / CPU, keep the bios installed that it comes with (5706 i think) and check for any spots of rust on the MOBO CPU socket before setting up. Been stable for a week now..

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom