Ronski's Training Log

Associate
Hi All,

I have been wanting to log in for some time but have always found some excuse or other but with 2015 here and a promise to myself to start new things I will do my very best to log here what I have gotten up to. (It is quite painful to type some of this)

Some background - living in Dubai is an easy place to gain weight and in the first few years here I quickly put on 20kg (100kg -> 120kg, I am 5ft 10) despite using the communal residents gym for some cardio now again I didn't really do much about it for sometime.

Realisation is a powerful motivator and I realised I could not move forward how I was and after rather stern talk from the Doctor (about the high risk I was running of Diabetes and hyper tension) at the start of 2011 I gave up drinking and fast food and embarked on group exercise classes. In perhaps the most brutal six months of my life I went to Les Mills Body Pump/Body Attack/Body Combat/Circuit Training Classes 4 or 5 times a week (it started at 2 or 3 classes a week) for a period of 6 months.

I didn't really go out all I did was go to the gym and do studio classes. After 6 months I had lost a total of 17kg but had endured during the process 1 calf strain, 2 hamstring tweaks and was sore pretty much all the time. The good news was I felt great and it was around this time I met my future wife :)

Over the next year or so real life and our relationship took a priority and I ended putting back on 10kg (112kg) and I felt terrible for it. So with the wedding coming up at the end of 2012 I went all out again on the exercise classes, we enlisted a personal trainer and I went on a 1800 calorie a day diet - the end result of that was losing 10kg for the wedding.

Wedding and honeymoon over we moved into a new house and renovated it (there is a thread on here about it) and the stress of this and reduced gym attendance, yep you guessed it I put back on 10kg.

Frustrated - I took stock. I read, re-read everything on here and time again you guys spoke about strong lifts. I had not lifted in anger since University - body pump does not count as lifting and I did some sporadic resistance training when we had a PT (but that mostly HIIT style stuff) I thought I would start doing stronglifts over the summer.

Stronglifts was humbling - as a big guy who had exercised regularly over the last couple of years I realised I basically had no strength, no core stability and major muscle imbalances. I persisted with stronglifts (not as regularly as I would have liked) during July - September and ended up with the following 1RM:

Bench Press -80kg
Strict Press - 47.5kg
Squat -100kg
Deadlift - 145kg

and a bodyweight of 107kg (down from 112kg) - not brilliant but I had come a long way in a short space of time and for the first time in a while I actually looked forward to workout days

As I really started to enjoy lifting - and ended up building a garage gym and I look at it as long term investment and I love being in there!

Getting into lifting weights made me want to explore more and I sought some advice from a strength and conditioning coach. After a long conversation with him and a few sessions with him it was very apparent that technique was the paramount above everything else along with a regimented scheme of diet and exercise program.

So mid September 2014 I started on the 531 program coupled with an introduction to Crossfit class (now I know there is some debate about crossfit but I had tried pretty much everything else up to this point) and while I thought my initial introduction to the world of exercise was tough crossfit brought a whole new level of intensity.

I also switched up by diet simply by eating a good whole food diet (veggies, meat, fish, nuts, fruit) - anything coming in a package is banned or eaten in small quantities.

The onramp to crossfit (about 12 sessions) taught me basic lifting techniques and modifiers for movements I could not yet do. The emphasis the whole time is on proper form.

I found the WoDs or Metcons incredibly hard to begin with I initially had a capacity of about 8 minutes before the wheels came off and I was a on my back in a sweaty, gasping for breath heap. In order to improve my conditioning I did two circuit classes a week focused High Intensity Interval Training for the first six weeks as well as doing 531 for squat, bench press and deadlift. Now I go to crossfit class 4 or 5 times a week with lifting and/or metcons in my home gym a couple of times a week.

After 12 weeks of hard work and I did every session of two cycles of 531 I tested just this week and here are the results:

Bench Press - 97.5kg (up 17.5kg)
Strict Press - 56kg (up 8.5kg) - didn't specifically train this
Squat -142.5kg (up 42.5kg !)
Deadlift - 160kg (up 15kg)

Bodyweight - 100kg (lightest I have been in 10 years)

I have also now started to me able to do some of the WoDs (Workout of the Day) as Rx (as prescribed)

Honestly, I was delighted to have achieved a 400kg total and this was the goal I set out to achieve. Here are the lifts:

Also what motivates is my attempts - so close yet....:

So what next?

Well I be lifting for sure :) I am working with my coach on some appropriate goals for the year at the moment and will log those here. I do have some for now:

5 strict pull ups (can do 1 now)
5 strict toes to bars (can do zero now)
1 ring muscle up (ugh)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to capture everything over the last three years!

Trying new things is the theme for me and so yesterday I did my first ever yoga class (hot yoga as well) and survived and literally burnt 650 calories in the hour - in all a quest to help my mobility (another big goal for 2015 - shoulder and mid thoracic mobility)

Namaste - Ronski

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome to the logs! That's some journey you've been on :) Congrats for sticking with it this time and now being able to post some very respectable numbers. Good Crossfit is good, it's the high rep high weight dodgy form stuff that worries. I like the idea of the intensity - training on my own I do think I could posh harder sometimes.

Surprised you can only do 1 pull-up even at your BW - I believe shoulder flexibility hinders mine which may be related?

PS you had 2/3 more reps in that bench video!

Associate
OP
Welcome to the logs! That's some journey you've been on :) Congrats for sticking with it this time and now being able to post some very respectable numbers. Good Crossfit is good, it's the high rep high weight dodgy form stuff that worries. I like the idea of the intensity - training on my own I do think I could posh harder sometimes.

Surprised you can only do 1 pull-up even at your BW - I believe shoulder flexibility hinders mine which may be related?

PS you had 2/3 more reps in that bench video!

Very kind mate - thank you!

Yeah - I had surgery on my left shoulder when I was 18 after a couple of rugby related dislocations. Now when I hang on the bar I get impingement pain in that shoulder. So am working hard on strengthening and mobility - its improving but after so many years its going to be a long road....

I agree with you on the bad form thing - if we have bad form in a rep during a WoD it is counted as a no rep until you do it with proper form.

This mornings work out was as follows:

Warm Up
Double Under Practice - 5mins
Headstand Practice
Cartwheel Practice
Turkish Get ups
Hip Mobility

Fight Gone Bad (A benchmark WoD)
1 min each of
Wall Balls @ 20lb
Sumo Dead lift to High Pull @ 30kg
Box Jumps @ 20"
Push Press @ 30kg
Row for Calories
Rest 1 minute
3 Rounds
Total Score = 267 (110, 78, 79)

Heart Rate Data here:

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move49630401

Associate
OP
Decided to have another six week cycle on 531 and chase after the missed lifts (145kg squat, 100kg bench, 165kg deadlift)

Here is this morning's workout including week 1 of back squat:

Warm Up
3 mins Double Under practice
10 Walking Lunge
10 Turkish Get Ups @ 15lbs
5 Wall Walks
10 Wall Balls @ 14lbs
Hip Mobility

Strength
Back Squats
Bar x 10
60kg x 5
85kg x 5
5 x Negative Pull Ups
100kg x 5
5 x Pull Ups with Green Band
110kg x 7 (wanted 8 reps but it has been nearly 3 weeks since I have squatted heavy for reps)
3 x BW Pull ups (PB) 2 x BW Pull Ups - surprised I was able to get a PB here now reset the pull up goal to 8 strict pull ups

Video of the last set of squats:

WoD:
AMRAP - 12mins
9 Front Squats @50kg
12 Hand Release Push Ups
15 Box Jumps @ 24"

Result - 4 rounds and 3 squats

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move49720934

Cool Down

Really happy to have pushed out all the front squats unbroken and with reasonable mobility in the Front rack position. Overall the WoD was really hard work and the overall class was a heavy session. Probably, going to have DOMs in the quads tomorrow.

Associate
OP
Back in the gym this morning

Warm up
3min DU practice
Wall Walks
Walking Lunge
Turkish Getups
Wall Balls
Hip Moblity
Shoulder Mobility

EMOM - 10mins
5 hang power cleans (2 @ 40kg, rest @50kg) - really need to work on my technique here on the catch so I can move up to 60kg for reps

WoD
250m Row
20 Burpees
200m Shuttle Run
20 Thrusters @30kg - broken into 3 sets
250m Row
20 Deadlift @60kg - unbroken
200m Shuttle
20 GHD Situps - still a challenge had to break into 4 sets
250m Row

Time - 13min 43sec

Cooldown

Heart rate data here

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move49848602

A nice metcon to kick off the day :)

Associate
OP
Shoulder day!

3 min DU Practice
5 Burpee Broad Jump
20 Walking Lunges
20 Mountain Climbers
10 Wall Balls
10 Good Mornings
10 Back Extension
Hip Mobility
Shoulder Passes

Strengh
Strict Press
Bar x 10
30kg x 8
32.5kg x 5
5 knees to elbow
38kg x 5
5 knees to elbow
43.5kg x 10 (PB)
5 knees to Elbow

WoD
4 Rounds for time
6 Burpee Box Overs @ 24"
12 DB Snatch @45lbs
18 Over head Walking Lunge with 45lb Dumbell

Time - 12min 30secs Rx

Cool down

The OH walking lunge was disgusting and showed I have serious overhead issues with my left arm (shoulder surgery) as I could only do 2 walking lunges with the dumbell in that hand per set.

Active recovery day tomorrow

Heart rate data here:

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move49939868

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Paging mrthingyx, mrthingyx to the thread please :D

*Poof* Whaddayaneed? :)

Nice lifting ronski, although the words "Crossfit" and "strength" in the same sentence immediately got my eyebrows raised. ;)

First off, are you getting help with your (power)clean technique? And secondly, if not, what seems to be the problem? If you're struggling to clear 60kg for reps with a back squat of 145kg, you are probably not using your legs...

Associate
OP
*Poof* Whaddayaneed? :)

Nice lifting ronski, although the words "Crossfit" and "strength" in the same sentence immediately got my eyebrows raised. ;)

First off, are you getting help with your (power)clean technique? And secondly, if not, what seems to be the problem? If you're struggling to clear 60kg for reps with a back squat of 145kg, you are probably not using your legs...

It's an issue in the catch in the quarter squat, I don't really have super mobility in the front rack position so it all looks a bit ugly and your right I could probably use a bigger leg/hip drive.

Any cues to help with the catch?

Man of Honour
It's not really about the catch, tbh - it's about the bar's path and position.

That might sound a bit zen/derp-worthy but there's not much point in getting clever with the catch until your bar path works. If the bar is looping around because your hip drive is forward and not back, then the bar will clatter you. If you're not getting UNDER the bar fast enough, then that's atually a different problem...

HOWEVER... :D

If you're struggling in front rack, that's a different issue. If you can't get your humerus to parallel with the ground in front rack, then you REALLY need to sort out your shoulders before trying to go heavier as you will just wreck your clavicles (and yes, it hurts. A lot).

Right. So...

When you are doing a "power clean" you are effectively jumping the bar up to shoulder height. I have taught the PC as a forward hip-thrust type thing because it gets people used to the idea of "bringing their hips through the bar" rather than just aggressively deadlifting the bar and upright rowing it to their shoulders. This is entirely dependent on how good the person's hip extension is.

The "shrug" component of the PC exists to pull the lifter under the bar: if you're PC-ing, this should be so hard in combination with the leg drive that you're not going down far - a quarter squat as you call it. As the weights get heavier/reps get higher, you'll generally find you pull lower and lower, meaning you wind up in a quarter-, then half-, then full squat.

And then, just to be really confusing, it all depends on how you've been coached. :)

I commend yours for encouraging you to do all this stuff without the requisite mobility (as the lifts are all very cool/awesome/beneficial/etc), but you are on a hiding to nowhere without it and iwll just injure yourself, eventually.

Associate
OP
Thanks mrthingyx!

The coaching is good and I am getting a good bit of feedback on my positioning in the power clean. He also agrees that if I dont get into a good position I will do myself a mischief hence we have been keeping the weight at 50kg. Any lighter and I find it difficult to exert the proper hip thrust/shrug technique.

Having said all this the mobility in the front rack is slowly improving (mobility wod and yoga starting to work) its perhaps getting there with the super fast elbows is what I am lacking, as you say. Can I get under the bar fast enough? Probably not.

Associate
OP
Inspired by mrthingyx

5 min DU practice
Shoulder passes

Bench Press
Warm Up
Bar x 20
36kg x 5
45kg x 5
54kg x5

Working Sets
60kg x 5
68kg x 5
77kg x 10 (PB) - last time I benched 77kg for reps I managed to push out 7

2 x 5 Scarecrow Cleans with Bar

Now my triceps really are shot...

Associate
OP
I got a bit of surprise earlier in the week - one of my colleagues has entered me into the Dubai 10km which is taking place on the 23rd Jan

So in some last ditch effort to prepare myself I am going to do some build up runs over the next week.

This morning was a gentle 6km along the newly constructed corniche in Dubai and it was absolutely stunning and I enjoyed the morning run.

Did a good 20mins of mobility afterwards to help ease up the legs.

Heart rate and GPS data here

Associate
OP
Back in the gym this morning:

Warm up
Row 500m -
10 Air Squats
5 inch worms
10 GHD situps
Shoulder Passes
1min couch stretch per leg
Hip Opener

Deadlifts
3 x 5
5 Pull Ups between sets (first 2 sets at BW broken up 3/2, last set Green band)

Deadlift
bar x some
70kg x 8
95kg x 5
110kg x 5
122.5kg x 15 (PB) - dat Cardio

WoD
15 min AMRAP
5 Deadlift @50%
10 Bar Facing Burpees
15 Med Ball Cleans 20/14

Result - 195 reps @ 80kg Rx

Phew was a hard workout but glad I forced myself out of bed. Actually looking forward to doing the hot yoga class tomorrow...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Logging back in the correct thread....

Took a complete rest day on Friday - I went for a sports massage on Thursday night and Friday morning felt good but drained. So back in for class this morning:

Warm up rowling (bit of a game/fun to start)
Row 100m x 10
Try and stop at exactly 100m - +/- is one burpee per meter. Do burpees at the end (I ended up having to 17 which was not bad - one guy had to do 33)
Hop Mobility

Skill

Hand stand push up - using 20" box to scale

WoD

1. 200m Row
10 Thursters @30kg
Max Pull Ups (green band) = 9

2. 2 Rounds of Cindy (5 pull ups (I was on green band), 10 Press Ups, 15 Air squats)
Max Clean and Jerk @50kg = 2 reps

3. 20 Burpees
Max Med Ball Clean @20lb = 12 reps

4. 6 Gym Sprints (25m a length)
Max Reps Hang Power Clean @50kg = 12 reps

5. 50 Air Squats
Max Reps Shoulder to Overhead @50kg = 7 reps

6. 50 Box Jumps @ 20"
Max Deadlift @70kg = 0 reps (44 box jumps completed)

2 minute window for each round
2 minutes rest after each round

Total score = 42

Was again a very intense workout but feeling good afterwards. Will be back in tomorrow for squat day.

Heart rate data here

Back
Top Bottom