Rorxy's Build Project

Associate
hey guys,

so I finally got to starting the dreaded new build project. Given that my rig iast an old 2009 purchase with only a handful of overclocks, cpu cooling and card upgrades, I had to start from scratch.

So, I started with the following bundle purchased on Cyber Monday:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-approved-elite-tier-haswell-e-bundle-intel-core-i7-5820k-4125mhz-gigabyte-x99-gaming-5p-bu-023-gi.html

In short, here is what I have and what is left to get:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K OC @ 4.125GHz
GPU: 980ti (still to buy. suggestions welcome)
SSD: 512GB NVMe PCI-E M.2
Cooling: OcUK Techlabs Extreme 240mm Hydro CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P
RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM
Monitor: 144hz (still to buy)
Keyboard: Mechanical (Still to Buy)
Mouse: Still to Buy, but love my Razor Diamondback 3G so something similar to that
Headphones: Sennheiser (Still to Buy)
Microphone: Still to Buy
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX2 (Still to Buy, but this seems to be the best)
Case:Corsair NZXT Phantom Enthusast is a favourite (Still to Buy)

I completely appreciate that a lot of this comes down to personal taste in the end, but all suggestions are welcome. I feel almost overburdened by the amount of options I have and the possibilities seem endless.

I want to be able to play high end games with ease and also have my sound gear up up to scratch as I wish to stream some of my gaming too.

I look forward to hearing some thoughts on what I should get next.

Soldato
Not really the right place for a spec / recommendations.
What people want to know / see in 'project logs' is either tech pictures or mods (at the very least tidy, colour matched kit)

Is it going to sit on your desk and be bling / or uber quiet and hidden away?
The NZXT case has a very angular look (black or red version?) - are you going to follow this through to the inside
(X99 mobo heatsink / ram colour hints at this)
Was a Corsair case a first option (see typo in op) and you changed your mind (why - that what we want to read)

So far all you've told us is you have some kit and no clear direction of what you want it to looks like, just what you plan on doing with it.
And your Kit is massively overkill for gaming and audio - 12 threaded i7 to game, really?
Sorry if I'm being harsh, but your OP has no direct so it not a surprise if you've had no response.

Have a think - pick a clear aim / goal and tell us all about it - or just build your pc in you own time and post up some pic's when its finished.
Building a pc is nothing special - most of us on here do it all the time
What the build log forum is for, is showing a pc build well or build with a silly high budget, or build differently.

Scratch builds, lego cases, uber bling, led mods, case painting, window mod, cardboard box pc, spray painted mobo's, stacks of rads, shiny stuff, case revamps, cats in pc cases etc
Doesn't matter what direction you go in - your ideas might be genius or fruitcake - out there or finest vanilla - focus (research or ask questions in other threads) and wow us!
Or just close the thread and build yourself a nice pc and enjoy gaming on it.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Razer mechanical keyboard and am very happy with it. great for games and general use. GPU depends on if you intend to wc at a later date. I always prefer a reference card as there is usually more choice on blocks.
Hope that helps but yes the choices do seem limitless.

Associate
OP
Not really the right place for a spec / recommendations.
What people want to know / see in 'project logs' is either tech pictures or mods (at the very least tidy, colour matched kit)

Is it going to sit on your desk and be bling / or uber quiet and hidden away?
The NZXT case has a very angular look (black or red version?) - are you going to follow this through to the inside
(X99 mobo heatsink / ram colour hints at this)
Was a Corsair case a first option (see typo in op) and you changed your mind (why - that what we want to read)

So far all you've told us is you have some kit and no clear direction of what you want it to looks like, just what you plan on doing with it.
And your Kit is massively overkill for gaming and audio - 12 threaded i7 to game, really?
Sorry if I'm being harsh, but your OP has no direct so it not a surprise if you've had no response.

Have a think - pick a clear aim / goal and tell us all about it - or just build your pc in you own time and post up some pic's when its finished.
Building a pc is nothing special - most of us on here do it all the time
What the build log forum is for, is showing a pc build well or build with a silly high budget, or build differently.

Scratch builds, lego cases, uber bling, led mods, case painting, window mod, cardboard box pc, spray painted mobo's, stacks of rads, shiny stuff, case revamps, cats in pc cases etc
Doesn't matter what direction you go in - your ideas might be genius or fruitcake - out there or finest vanilla - focus (research or ask questions in other threads) and wow us!
Or just close the thread and build yourself a nice pc and enjoy gaming on it.

appreciate the response. Fairly new to forums so did not know this was just for clickbait build photos! They will come soon I guess. With my background in media id also use it for editing and stuff along with streaming. I agree it might be a bit much, but couldnt resist the Cyber Monday deal on the 8pack bundle so there we go

Associate
OP
I have a Razer mechanical keyboard and am very happy with it. great for games and general use. GPU depends on if you intend to wc at a later date. I always prefer a reference card as there is usually more choice on blocks.
Hope that helps but yes the choices do seem limitless.

yea ive been liking the OcUK reference cards in particular. seen then go below 500 recently so that might be the way to go. thanks

Associate
Reference cards are easy to find blocks for to water cool and are generally ideal if you plan to SLI them on air too. Their fan arrangement exhausts hot air out of the case. And don't worry about posting in here - lots of people are interested in builds that aren't made out of lego :)

Have to say though - those are two nice builds in your sig shadowscotland. I really fancied doing a build in the L1.0 but it's so big I could live in it. Can't justify losing any more space.

Back
Top Bottom