US: Roseanne Reboot

Soldato
I watched the first episode of season 10 last night, very weird to see all the same cast, 20 years later. It's odd, I know I watched it a lot as a kid and I know I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I could tell you any of the old story lines, unlike perhaps Cheers for example.

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/roseanne-reboot-cast.jpg

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3337611.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/roseanne-2.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink images **

The episode itself was okay, but seemed a little forced. A good example, the opening titles where they spin around the table and finishes with Roseanne laughing, just seemed too'put on' for the camera.

There was some good bits, but seems a little political and the black granddaughter and gay grandson seems a little pushed in too.

It also seemed to me that actually DJ and Becky aren't that good at acting... but at least Darlene still had some great one line zingers as you'd expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yeah, can only describe the experience of watching the first two episodes as "odd". Was like episodes of Happy Days with whatever was showing on Fox News today shoehorned into it, and not in a subtle way. Some great lines but just.....weird. Goodman and Roseanne looked like they were reading off cue cards in a few places too.

Soldato
I only saw some episodes of the original because my Sister used to watch it, but I swear I must be going mental because I can't remember ever seeing Sarah Chalke in it.

Soldato
She was the original Becky. You just didn't see any of the first, what, 3 seasons? I recall there being some kind of joke in the show about the new actress being Becky.

Sarah Chalke was the second Becky, she took over after the original one went to college. I kinda remember the original one coming back towards the end but not completely sure.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, my bad, wrong way round.

At the very end of Sarah Chalke's first episode after replacing Alicia Goranson in the role of Becky, the family is seen watching an episode of Bewitched (1964). They are discussing how the producers of the show must' have been stupid to think that no one would notice that they replaced the original Darren (Dick York) with another actor (Dick Sargent). Becky (now played by Sarah Chalke, who relates to replacing a character) mentions that she likes the second Darren better.

:)

Soldato
I've watched 3 episodes so far but a few things are not the same. from what I remember from the show it seams like they have dumbed it down and the characters seam to have gotten dumber also but I was between 7-10 when i watched it so ill try and watch a old episode to compare.

Soldato
Ah well, I was kind of enjoying it but I certainly won't miss it this time that it is gone. It never felt as good as the old episodes where the kids were growing up and going through trials and tribulations.

Soldato
Wikipedia says that her political parties of choice where the Greens and then Peace and Freedom. Seems a strange move to be celebrating the Donald as president.

The pessimist in me says that it was a marketing choice to promote her show. To hell with the country as long as I'm lining my own pockets.

Caporegime
Wasn't the whole point of running for president, was to promote Trump's TV network. A perfect match maybe, she better get used to skipped pay cheques.

Back
Top Bottom