Router and extender combo for max wifi speed and multi gig lan

Associate
I have fttp 900mb with plusnet. I briefly used the the hub 2 with beryl ax and was getting around 400mbs to my pc. I cannot wire the pc to router but it is wired to the extender.

I switched back to my 4g tp link router and tp link extender. This is only good for about 100mbs to the pc.

I don't have a big home, so a router and extender will probably suffice, rather than mesh.

Can anyone recommend a router and extender combo that would give max wifi speed, and possibly have 2.5gb lan for if I ever upgrade to 1.6. Some decent parental controls would also be desirable. I have the basic tplink ones but have read their homeshield, or whatever it's called, is much better.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a router and extender combo that would give max wifi speed
No, not really. If you can't hard wire to the PC or APs, using an extender won't give anywhere near what you would be expecting. I would be looking at a decent mesh system, and ignore extenders.

You're not going to get anything like close to 900Mb with a range extender, your best bet is probably a power line adapter; if your homes wiring is suitable. I.E where you plug them in they are both on the same mains ring. 900Mb/s is a tall order for anything but the best WiFi setups and even they usually need a degree of wiring for perfect positioning of the Access Point.

Last edited:
I used powerline adapters in the distant past. My issue was every now and then they would disconnect. My pc desk weighs a ton so it was a pain pulling it out to get to the adapter.

I then moved from virgin back to sky. They sent an extender that I could place nearby and wire my pc to it. It worked flawlessly. When I ditched sky I bought a tplink 4g router and extender. Again it worked flawlessly, and as I was getting around 20/10 speeds over 4g, wifi speed wasn't an issue.

I don't need extreme speed for my pc but it would be nice to get 500+ over the wifi. I was getting 400+ with the hub2 and a beryl ax, so I would hope something more capable could achieve a higher speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom