Router and Open VPN download speeds

Soldato
Finally went for Linksys 1900ACS, works well and manged to increase download speed on Vu Solo running OPENVPN by about 5 so now just under 20. Much better and limited buffering now.

Been watching pfSense videos on you tube and may well give that a go at some point by installing on an old laptop.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

You should be able to get your 60+ from that router when loaded with a DD-WRT firmware.

How much did you pay for it...?

As noted that router and the WRT3200ACM (faster core clock) is very capable as far as routers go.

Associate
OP
You should be able to get your 60+ from that router when loaded with a DD-WRT firmware.

How much did you pay for it...?

As noted that router and the WRT3200ACM (faster core clock) is very capable as far as routers go.

Not checked DD WRT as yet, soon. Cost me via Amazon £119 with the additional 20% discount offered to student prime members, so good deal me thinks.

Soldato
I wish i’d Seen this post earlier - I could have potentially saved you £119.

1) The Solo2 is ancient, slow and largely unsuited to IPTV, not as bad as the older ZGemma crap, but that mips processor is geriatric by modern standards. I say this as a long time owner of it an an S4K. I know why you have it and why you use it, but better options exist for considerably less money than you have just paid out for the router.

2) While a VPN isn’t required for IPTV, I know why you would choose to use one as it negates 3rd parties blocking the server(s) in question and seeing what you view. Most IPTV streams are under 8mbit, it’s unlikely if that’s what you are actually getting that buffering is due to the connection speed.

Solutions that work:

Drop the VPN encryption level used, PIA offer a much less secure but equally functional option from memory and it works well for what you need, not so much if your life depended on the privacy of your connection, but it doesn’t.

Run a docker/VM with the Privoxy Proxy. It needs a host machine to run on, but it’s easy then to just set a proxy on the box, use strong encryption and see full line speed with virtually zero overhead.

Running a VPN for the whole LAN on a router is less than ideal, especially if the connection drops and your router then lets traffic flow over an unencrypted connection.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Since installing the linksys not had any problems, download speeds are better than they were before and it also benefits from better wifi.

Open VPM is still running on the solo2, speed is up and all good at the mo. Mind Sat PM might be the teller. I'll check the PIA encryption and do a bit of digging on docker/VM

Many thanks

Soldato
If you are running VPN on the Solo2, the speed won’t change based on your router - it’s not going to alter that mips CPU being slow/old and lacking an FPU.

Back
Top Bottom