Router Recommendations

Soldato
OP
Well I want to buy my own one and not take the one offered by the ISP. Budget around £ 69 as that is how much the ISP charges for their router which I believe is a Technicolor.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As far as I am aware the router supplied by the ISP is a Technicolor TG589 vac v2. I believe the basic NETGEAR R6800 Nighthawk Dual-Band AC1900 (1.9 Gbps) Smart Wi-Fi Router I have ordered is more up to date and better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Edgerouter Lite & UniFi UAP-AC-Lite
Probably twice your budget but would be the entry level in terms of doing your connection justice.

In what way exactly won’t a R6800 do justice to his connection? It’s capable of sustaining a WAN>LAN of more than FTTH can provide at present and is vastly superior to Technicolours offerings in both features and support, it’s a decent (relative to its peers) AIO consumer router. Personally i’d probably suggest considering the R7000 for DDWRT support if you want an AIO, but it’s not within budget.

I agree Unifi CPE is generally nicer to work with and superior to consumer grade AIO products, but the idea that he needs to spend that kind of money to do justice to his connection seems slightly out of place.

Soldato
In what way exactly won’t a R6800 do justice to his connection? It’s capable of sustaining a WAN>LAN of more than FTTH can provide at present and is vastly superior to Technicolours offerings in both features and support, it’s a decent (relative to its peers) AIO consumer router. Personally i’d probably suggest considering the R7000 for DDWRT support if you want an AIO, but it’s not within budget.

I agree Unifi CPE is generally nicer to work with and superior to consumer grade AIO products, but the idea that he needs to spend that kind of money to do justice to his connection seems slightly out of place.

I read FTTP and assumed Gigabit speeds to be honest. I’m still trying to understand why all this infrastructure is being installed and vastly undersold/underused.

If it’s just “normal” VDSL speed services being delivered over fibre then yeah, fully agree aforementioned Netgear or most router up to 4-5 years old should eat it.

Soldato
I read FTTP and assumed Gigabit speeds to be honest. I’m still trying to understand why all this infrastructure is being installed and vastly undersold/underused.

If it’s just “normal” VDSL speed services being delivered over fibre then yeah, fully agree aforementioned Netgear or most router up to 4-5 years old should eat it.

In simple terms ‘money’.

BT etc. get subsidy payments to invest in a network they own, so it’s worth doing for them. ISP’s don’t market it because it’s not available widely enough. In such a close market where almost everyone sells essentially the same product, it’s not worth wasting marketing on advertising a product that the majority can’t receive.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I am planning on taking out a 250mbit/s download 50mbit/s upload service, it won't be a gigabit. I will be trying to use Ethernet cables direct to router where possible as none of my wifi equipment is 802.11ac and my powerline adapters are rated for 200mbit/s max.

Thinking of buying a USB 802.11ac adapter to try and get max speed over wifi, my iPhone 6 Plus has 802.11ac and when I did a speedtest at my brothers who already has the 250mbit/s service it got max speed albeit in same room as the router which is a Netgear Nighthawk R6400 AC1750 incidentally.

Associate
If part of the Layer 2 transits the ISP owned network, then their back hauls are reliant on being able to deliver the bandwidth which means some providers are limiting the speeds down to ensure they can offer the service out to more End Users rather than a smaller amount of customer's getting the full whack and possibly over-utilising the links.

Shawrey

Soldato
OP
Here's a screenshot I took of my iPhone 6 Plus connected to my brothers up to 250mbit/s Internet service via Wi-Fi.

2zem2xz.png

Last edited:
Soldato
So i'm in s imilar position to the OP. I have a zyxel vmg8924-b10a and i feel its letting things down a little, my connection is 'only' 100 meg, however i may upgrade soon to go faster. Is the only difference between the XXXX series of netgears above just the speeds? I've got an xbox one and ps4 on 5 GHz, but still have some legacy things on 2.4GHz, so will a 7000 for example work ok?

Back
Top Bottom