Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 Ride - 7th to 9th June 2024

Soldato
RBLR 1000 Endurance Ride
https://rblr1000.co.uk/

Can I tempt anyone else to join?

I will probably be doing the Northern route.

Cost is £75 (£25 entry fee and £50 minimum sponsorship/donation)

Also, anyone completing the 1000 miles in less than 24 hours becomes a member of the Iron Butt Association.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcr
Soldato
OP
B0Jpu4J.jpeg

8KWKKOY.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jcr
Soldato
OP
I'm interested. Would rather do it with somebody even if it's just for conversation. The seat on my CB1000R is a bit rough so would have to look into doing something with it. Most I've done in a day is maybe 450ish miles.
Most for me is about 400.

My CBF1000 seat is not that bad, but I am resigned to the idea of my ass getting destroyed

I might try a gel seat topper though.

Would be nice to ride with others, have comms maybe, especially during the later hours.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I'm def interested, not too sure about going north tho. I have gel inside my seat and tbh I never noticed the difference. If I do this I will probs look at geting one of those sheep skin seat throw over things. I already have comms, the Cardo Mesh thing that I can't remeber the name of atm. I may also have to book a day off.
Those throws are supposed to be very very comfy for touring.

I only chose North route as wanted to go touring around Scotland since I got my licence so this ticked a lot of boxes for me, also less Motorway miles too I think.

Soldato
OP
Hi, I’m going , first go at this and looking at going North clockwise, more than happy to buddy up with anyone, strength in numbers and all. No idea or expectations on this, so not being on my Tod would be a good move.

Like yourself, first time, no expectations but just want to enjoy it.

I am not a speed demon, not slow but not interested in breaking the land speed record by any means.

Someone to talk to on the last leg from Newcastle after 900 miles in the bank will help.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I’ve registered for north clockwise already and booked a hotel in Castleford, the Wheldale hotel. Everywhere else was full and this is 15 mins down the road. Happy to chat round it.

I am camping at Squires, after the 1000 miles, I would happily sleep on in the central reservation on the M1.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hear you but thought my old bones would thank me in the morning. So, do you want to pair up, bit of moral support for us two IB newbies?
A definite yes to pairing up.

Moral support will definitely be welcomed, not an easy task by any means but definitely an opportunity to have some fun and make some memories.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Whilst looking at iron butt site found a link to this. Odd as not a gamer, but there was a convo re IB. I’m West Wales. Don’t worry I’m not a stalker , but if you’re not comfortable that’s fine.

HAHAHA

If you want to stalk a grey haired, middle aged dude, feel free :D

Welcome to the forum anyway, hang around, rather a good community and various subs going on.

Do you have any maintenance to take care of before the ride?

I just had a Road Pilot 4 fitted to rear in October, got a puncture about 3 weeks ago, plugged it but do not trust it so need to get another unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up for those contemplating taking on the IB challenge, counter leaning is great way of delaying or avoiding a sore backside as you're constantly shifting your weight on the seat through bends, rather than being sat in one position all the time like you would be if you constantly lean into corners with the bike. While it's not as fun as leaning with the bike it does have some safety benefits which would also be worthwhile when fatigue sets in, and your concentration suffers.

I watched that before and realised I was doing already doing that on occassions, I thought I was me being a noob too afraid to "put my knee down", however, it felt more "comfy".

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, that happened :D

Managed to get my IronButt certification.

There were ups and downs, especially when I ran out of fuel near Perth on the way into Edinburgh on the M90, around 10.30pm. The local Police kindly took me to a garage so I could get some fuel and get back on my way. I really thought had blew it at that point so helmets off to the Police for helping me out.

My butt held out till maybe the second half of the ride. Rather proud of the achievement, one of the more physically and mentally demanding things I have ever done. I know calling it "physically" demanding sounds a stretch but anyone who rides will know what I mean.

Roll on next year.

Can I tempt any of the OcUK faithful to join in? :D

Any questions, fire away.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I expected worse to be honest. After a certain amount of time, you get used to the discomfort I guess. Not like you have a choice :D

From everything I had read about the seat on the CBF, especially for long miles, I expected worse considering was sat on it for 24 hours albeit with maybe 15-20 minute stops.

Any "none motorbiker" following me would have thought I was having spasms or something seeing me do all sorts of gymnastics while sat in my seat trying to get blood moving around parts of my body.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom