Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 Ride - 7th to 9th June 2024

Associate
Hi, I’m going , first go at this and looking at going North clockwise, more than happy to buddy up with anyone, strength in numbers and all. No idea or expectations on this, so not being on my Tod would be a good move.

Soldato
OP
Hi, I’m going , first go at this and looking at going North clockwise, more than happy to buddy up with anyone, strength in numbers and all. No idea or expectations on this, so not being on my Tod would be a good move.

Like yourself, first time, no expectations but just want to enjoy it.

I am not a speed demon, not slow but not interested in breaking the land speed record by any means.

Someone to talk to on the last leg from Newcastle after 900 miles in the bank will help.

Last edited:
Associate
Like yourself, first time, no expectations but just want to enjoy it.

I am not a speed demon, not slow but not interested in breaking the land speed record by any means.

Someone to talk to on the last leg from Newcastle after 900 miles in the bank will help.
Yes, pretty much my remit also, get round and enjoy.

Associate
I’ve registered for north clockwise already and booked a hotel in Castleford, the Wheldale hotel. Everywhere else was full and this is 15 mins down the road. Happy to chat round it.

Soldato
OP
I’ve registered for north clockwise already and booked a hotel in Castleford, the Wheldale hotel. Everywhere else was full and this is 15 mins down the road. Happy to chat round it.

I am camping at Squires, after the 1000 miles, I would happily sleep on in the central reservation on the M1.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hear you but thought my old bones would thank me in the morning. So, do you want to pair up, bit of moral support for us two IB newbies?
A definite yes to pairing up.

Moral support will definitely be welcomed, not an easy task by any means but definitely an opportunity to have some fun and make some memories.

Last edited:
Associate

Moral support will definitely be welcomed, not an easy task by any means but definitely an opportunity to have some fun and make some memories

Moral support will definitely be welcomed, not an easy task by any means but definitely an opportunity to have some fun and make some memories.
great, I’ll ping over my mobile. So we can arrange a meet on the Friday.

Associate
I am in Nottingham.

If you dont mind me asking, how did you find this forum? I see you signed up here yesterday and only posted in this forum :D
Whilst looking at iron butt site found a link to this. Odd as not a gamer, but there was a convo re IB. I’m West Wales. Don’t worry I’m not a stalker , but if you’re not comfortable that’s fine.

Soldato
OP
Whilst looking at iron butt site found a link to this. Odd as not a gamer, but there was a convo re IB. I’m West Wales. Don’t worry I’m not a stalker , but if you’re not comfortable that’s fine.

HAHAHA

If you want to stalk a grey haired, middle aged dude, feel free :D

Welcome to the forum anyway, hang around, rather a good community and various subs going on.

Do you have any maintenance to take care of before the ride?

I just had a Road Pilot 4 fitted to rear in October, got a puncture about 3 weeks ago, plugged it but do not trust it so need to get another unfortunately.

Associate
Bikes ok, pretty new, bought sept last year. Main concern is getting my butt ready for it, looking at some MOTO skiveez. What are you riding, what’s your tank range like? Numb bum tolerance? Working on some assumptions as not done an IB before, but thinking100-150 and a stop. Tank range not the issue, but think I will be.

Soldato
Just a heads up for those contemplating taking on the IB challenge, counter leaning is great way of delaying or avoiding a sore backside as you're constantly shifting your weight on the seat through bends, rather than being sat in one position all the time like you would be if you constantly lean into corners with the bike. While it's not as fun as leaning with the bike it does have some safety benefits which would also be worthwhile when fatigue sets in, and your concentration suffers.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I’m ashamed to say I rode my bike for the first time since October today and my back was aching after 20 minutes. So there is no way I’d manage this.

At this point I’m seriously considering just selling my bike. I did manage 100 miles in the end, but that was after taking tramadol just to get on the bike. I thought the GS would make a difference after the VFR but sadly not.

jcr

jcr

Associate
Well I’m ashamed to say I rode my bike for the first time since October today and my back was aching after 20 minutes. So there is no way I’d manage this.

At this point I’m seriously considering just selling my bike. I did manage 100 miles in the end, but that was after taking tramadol just to get on the bike. I thought the GS would make a difference after the VFR but sadly not.
get a sit up bench and exercise your back.

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up for those contemplating taking on the IB challenge, counter leaning is great way of delaying or avoiding a sore backside as you're constantly shifting your weight on the seat through bends, rather than being sat in one position all the time like you would be if you constantly lean into corners with the bike. While it's not as fun as leaning with the bike it does have some safety benefits which would also be worthwhile when fatigue sets in, and your concentration suffers.

I watched that before and realised I was doing already doing that on occassions, I thought I was me being a noob too afraid to "put my knee down", however, it felt more "comfy".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom