Royal Mail Vans! What is the problem??

Soldato
Can't find the source, but given the number of post delivery vans, parcel force vans and Royal Mail & parcel force HGV's around the country then it's easy to see why they are so big, BT is relatively small by comparison and they don't have numerous huge delivery hubs around the country.

BT Fleet cover all the work vehicles for BT and OpenReach, but also a number of other large companies' fleets, including Network Rail, Thames Water and the AA. Not sure about the others but our liveried vehicles are all leased from BT Fleet, so assuming everyone else does the same, BT Fleet therefore has one of, if not the, largest physical fleet.
Supposedly The Post Office is also supplied by BT Fleet, which would account for why their vans are usually in pretty good nick while Royal Fail's aren't...

Soldato
What I notice with RM vans are that some are 10+ years old and still in service. Most companies seem to change their vehicles after 3 or 4 years if they are leased. I take it RM purchase them outright and run them into the ground. Saw one yesterday on a 11 plate but only had 26K miles on according to the MOT check, although it had broken down outside my house and was awaiting recovery for best part of the day.

Associate
our local postie has a new van now but he had a 12 plate or similar up until recently, see quite a few older one's going around as well.

WRT BT Fleet, when I was doing some work from them a few years ago one of the guys was telling me about how huge an operation BT Fleet was and anyone with their own car could get their MOT and such like done by them. Is that still the case?

Soldato
What I notice with RM vans are that some are 10+ years old and still in service. Most companies seem to change their vehicles after 3 or 4 years if they are leased. I take it RM purchase them outright and run them into the ground. Saw one yesterday on a 11 plate but only had 26K miles on according to the MOT check, although it had broken down outside my house and was awaiting recovery for best part of the day.
It's a wierd policy, I guess if a car still works and isn't breaking down all the time then why replace it?

Soldato
The depo in Kentish Town was where they stored the accident damaged ones. It was literally always full to bursting and it looked like they'd had the most horrific accidents. I guess they're properly used and abused though.

Associate
Strange really. I meet RM vans in the weirdest of places, on farms, single track rock layered roads, caravan sites, everywhere you'd expect them to have a rough time, and they're all in decent shape except some mud usually.
Sounds just like an episode of postman Pat?

Back
Top Bottom