• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 2080 standard cable issue

Associate
Hello everyone,

This is my first build so apologies if this is really basic for someone however I have tried a few things now and I can't find a solution.

The issue I am having is the RTX 2080 I have purchased does not work on the cables provided with my PSU (corsair RM750X) the PSU is modular and does come supplied with 2x 8 pin plugs, I assumed these would be correct for powering my GPU... HOWEVER, when I fitted them for first fire up nothing happened the PSU just made a relay like sounding click, I tried this a couple of times thinking the cables were not fitted correctly and to my surprise the same thing happened again.

I took a closer look at the cables to realise the side that goes into the GPU did not clip correctly on the locking clip it was too wide however they still fitted into the GPU power port. The RTX2080 is now running however I had to resort to the ugly mustard coloured cables provided. I believe they are 8 PIN to PCIE.

My question is where could I possibly get some cables that look tidier than my current ones and that are more suited to the job?

I have tried to attach images to help but I can only post in URL not attach an image.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello everyone,

This is my first build so apologies if this is really basic for someone however I have tried a few things now and I can't find a solution.

The issue I am having is the RTX 2080 I have purchased does not work on the cables provided with my PSU (corsair RM750X) the PSU is modular and does come supplied with 2x 8 pin plugs, I assumed these would be correct for powering my GPU... HOWEVER, when I fitted them for first fire up nothing happened the PSU just made a relay like sounding click, I tried this a couple of times thinking the cables were not fitted correctly and to my surprise the same thing happened again.

I took a closer look at the cables to realise the side that goes into the GPU did not clip correctly on the locking clip it was too wide however they still fitted into the GPU power port. The RTX2080 is now running however I had to resort to the ugly mustard coloured cables provided. I believe they are 8 PIN to PCIE.

My question is where could I possibly get some cables that look tidier than my current ones and that are more suited to the job?

I have tried to attach images to help but I can only post in URL not attach an image.

I googled Corsair RM750X PSU review:

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/05/08/corsair-rm750x-2018-750w-power-supply/2/

Seemed it came with 4 x 6+2 pin dual connectors PCIE cables but it had no 6+2 pin single connector PCIE cables.

My Corsair AX860 PSU came with 2 x 6+2 pin dual connectors PCIE cables and 2 x 6+2 pin single connectors PCIE cables, was been used a 6+2 pin dual connector PCIE cable since 2015 worked fine with MSI GTX 970 Gaming and MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X but it did not worked with MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio with a 6+2 pin dual connectors PCIE cable and then tried added another dual connectors PCIE cable but it still not booted with warning message on screen "PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PSU POWER CABLE(S) FOR ALL GRAPHIC CARDS". Tried switched to other end PCIE connectors and still had same issue. Then I removed 2 x 6+2 pin dual connectors PCIE cables and installed 2 x 6+2 pin single connector PCIE cables to the PSU and connected it to MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, powered on PC and it worked successfully booted.

It could be worth try ask Corsair technical support to sent you Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved PCIe Cables with Single Connector, Type 4 (Generation 3) - Black which is compatible with RM750X PSU for free replacement. If not then you can buy it for around £15 somewhere as OCUK did not stock Corsair cables so you can googled the part number CP-8920172 or buy it from Corsair store direct.

Back
Top Bottom