• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 applying NVsurround : one screen goes black

Associate
No issues with my 2080 Ti.NVsurround is working correctly with that card.

Installed my Inno3D 3090 X4 yesterday and while it installed very easily it does not want to show NVsurround on my 2x 4K display setup. Displays at 3940x2160 and 30 hertz each.

When clicking apply to Enable it in the NVsurround menu, one display goes black and looking on the Resolution tab it shows just one display at 3840x2160.
When Disableing NVsurround the black screen becomes active again and thg ei8mage is on both screens.

Is the 3090 not compatible with NVsurround or are the drivers not working correctly.
I have tried the last 4 drivers.

All suggstions are welcome.

These are large Sony 4K Led tv’s.
And it works perfectly with the 2080 Ti.
Also just tried the 2080 and no issues too.

There is surely an issue :

Both displays are 3840x2160
When Clicking Enable NVSURROUND display 1 stats at 3840x2160 but display 2 shows 4096x2160 in white characters on the black screen.
Different resolutions are not compatible with NVSURROUND.

When Disableing NVSURROUND display 2 goes back into 3840x2160 again.

I have tried setting both to 4096x2160 before enableing NVSURROUND but then display 1 goes into 3840x2160 and keeps it image. Display 2 stays at 4096x2160 and becomes black.

Last edited:
Just read in another topic about someone with just one 4K monitor and at random moments the screen would turn black.
It worked correctly with his former 20 card.
He was advised to try another HDMI cable as it was an older one.

My HDMI cables are 2.0. However NVSURROUND with the 2080 Ti is working correctly.

The 3090 is capable of HDMI 2.1.
Before buying 2.1 HDMI cables : could my card have issues with my 4 yo HDMI cables, where my 2080 Ti can handle it ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.
So I guess that the only thing I can do is return the card as it doesn’t do what it is supposed to do.

In the article a workaround could be using a lower frequency.
I even tried at 2x 3840 @ 24hertz but no reveal.

The card has 3x DP and 1x HDMI 2.1.
The issues exist with all kind of connector combinations.

As it also has the issue when using DP only it could also be the drivers.

But theses cards are out now for a few months so I would have expected that NVsurround would work correctly....

I have 3x DP cable and 1x HDMI 2.0.

The store advised me to wait and see what Inno3D has to say. I have 30 days to return the card.
And perhaps a better driver might be released.

In the official Nvidia forums there are multiple people using a 3090 with NVSURROUND but all are using 2K displays .
No one using 4K displays like me.

Unfortunately no difference.
When clicking Enable Surround first display 1 becomes black and display 2 shows the right part of the image.

Then display 2 becomes black and display / shows the complete image.

Below it says NVsurround enabled....

Just ordered 2x DisplayPort 1.4 5 meter cables with gold plated connectors
Expensive cables but top quality.

My current cables are DP 1.2 cables which should do it (as the 2080 Ti proves) but these are 8K card, so more enough bandwidth ..

Certainly fingers crossed.

To mimic NVSURROUND I have my left monitor at 3840x2160 and the right at 4048x2160.
Now an image “connects” behind the bezels.

However ingame I can only use 4096x2160
and stretch that image manually over the 2 displays. It is like 3K screens now ...

After another few days of testing it looks like it is the driver or the hardware used.

I have tried 8K cables and the issue remains.
For a second pc I have bought a second hand Inno3D 3090 X3 and tried that card too : also with that card the issue of the black NVSURROUND screen exists...

I think that I will return the X4 to the store and wait another 1-2 months before buying another 3090.

Nvidia Support asked me to show the issue in a vid, which I did and then they remained silent..

Thank you for sharing your experience.
With my 2080 Ti NVSURROUND is working correctly too.

I have bought a second Inno3D 3090 second handed for my client pc. This was a X3, while to first one was a X4.

It shows the same issue.
I have tried with 8K DP to HDMI cables and 1 DP to HDMI (with adapter) : both cards have 1x HDMI plus 3X DP.
Cables and adapter where 8K.
Both displays are Sony Bravia 4K 43” tv’s and only have HDMI connections.

I did not try updating the displays firmware yet, so that I will try.

Yesterday I got a respond from NVidia. Unfortunately their suggestion did not work :

1.First download and install the Revo Uninstaller from here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
There is a 30 days trial period.
2. Restart windows in Safe mode with networking
3. Once in Windows launch the Revo Uninstaller tool.
4. Uninstall all NVIDIA entries. There should be a few and they all should start with "NVIDIA....".
5. After each one you uninstall, Revo will give you option to scan for additional registry entry. Do the scan for each component and then select all the additional left-over registry entries and delete them all. This way all traces of all NVIDIA components will be removed.
6. When all NVIDIA entries have been removed, restart windows in Safe mode with networking again.
7. If windows detect new hardware and prompt to install driver then cancel if you can but if not then allow it to proceed and complete first. Restart Windows in Safe mode with networking again if prompted, otherwise proceed to next step.
8. Navigate to "C:\Program Files" and delete the entire "NVIDIA Corporation" folder if it exists.
9. Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)" and delete the entire "NVIDIA Corporation" folder if it exists.
10. Download and Run the driver from here: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/164741/en-us
11. Accept the license agreement.
12. Select the "Custom (Advanced)" option.
13. Put a checkmark in the 'Perform clean install" checkbox.
14. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.

For a ticket : https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/home
Make sure to open an account.

Both my Sony Bravia’s have the latest firmware installed.

This afternoon I got an email from Inno3D. If the latest driver does not fix this, then according to them it is a driver issue that only Nvidia is able to solve.

Back
Top Bottom