• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 - Zotac Trinity OC underwhelming ?

Permabanned
I really do think that "expectation" has been blown out of all proportion with the 3000 series. The performance of the 3080 is good, sure, but the thing that really made it amazing was it's price. Now that the price has gone through the roof, it's no longer a very attractive card. The 3090 started from a worse place, in that it was never really considered a gamers card because it's price/performance. Of course those who must have the best will buy them, but really the performance of the 3080 and 3090 no longer reflect the prices they are selling for, especially if you already have a decent card like a 2080ti, or a lower performance monitor.

Associate
I really do think that "expectation" has been blown out of all proportion with the 3000 series. The performance of the 3080 is good, sure, but the thing that really made it amazing was it's price. Now that the price has gone through the roof, it's no longer a very attractive card. The 3090 started from a worse place, in that it was never really considered a gamers card because it's price/performance. Of course those who must have the best will buy them, but really the performance of the 3080 and 3090 no longer reflect the prices they are selling for, especially if you already have a decent card like a 2080ti, or a lower performance monitor.

I tend to agree, the proposition of the price is what sold it, I would happily stay on my 2080ti if the prices were like they are now 6 months ago.

Soldato
You may get higher FPS going from 1080p to 1440p due to a CPU bottleneck but I doubt 4k will run faster than 1440p as it will nearly all be about the GPU.

Increasing the resolution from 1080p to 1440p doesn't increase the FPS.

It decreases the CPU bottleneck but that's just a side effect of the GPU pushing less frames.

Permabanned
Of course it can, if the game was running good FPS you would not have need to do anything as happy so side effect or not you may get higher FPS at a higher RES (as much as it sounds strange) IF your CPU was bottlenecking that actual game.

That does not means you can then go from 1440p to 4K an get even higher FPS as that will come down to your GPU and there is still a CPU bottleneck but far less apart from certain games like FS where it is all nearly about the CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
You need to be UW or 4k to see any real difference - then it's only measurable rather than a difference you'd 'feel'. You only have to look at reviews and many games there is next to no difference in FPS between a 3080 and a 3090 @ 1440p or a 6800 and 6900 AMD card.

Maybe try DLSS if your game supports it as version 2.0 can give good results - depends how well it was implemented in the game.

What is the max refresh rate of your monitor?
This.

And yeah you know, it's a 4k card. And deffo not supposed to be good "for the money" at all

Permabanned
4K with no RT, and if so ideally using DLSS, then FPS may still be in the double figures which is fine but we have 120-240HZ LCD's for a reason (to try get more fluid motion like CRT/Plasma) in addition to Adaptive Sync techs.

Caporegime
This.

And yeah you know, it's a 4k card. And deffo not supposed to be good "for the money" at all
Ironically, a 3090 at original MSRP prices looks like good value for money now simply with how insane the market has become... but you are right that they are still horrible value in real terms and it's a sign of what we are willing to accept if we want to be able to actually have the gaming experience we want during the pandemic when we are spending so much more time at home. I would say that the importance of our PC has changed for many of us (at least those that didn't spend all their time gaming even before the pandemic) in the last 12 months and it has taken on a new significance.

I know I have had a resurgence in my PC gaming interest and now that I have a bleeding-edge gaming build I can't imagine going back to anything lower-end for a long time. Gaming at 4k with everything maxed out on a 65" OLED with a PS5 gamepad is something amazing which I had never before experienced and it has really changed my traditionalist perception of PC gaming.

From now on, knowing what the market is going to be like for the next few years, I am ordering the best possible GPU available at launch for MSRP and then just sitting tight and selling my old one when I have the new one in my hands.

Soldato
That is far too much like common sense. :D

IMO buying a 3090 just for 1440p is daft to start with.

Yes I agree, but you can't blame people for a long we've been under the assumption that a new gpu will boost your game performance everywhere every time, every resolution and every setting - unfortunately it's just not true anymore - the cause is the last 7 years of compounding CPU underperformance, while gen on gen GPUs has consistently delivered 30 to 60% performance gains, CPUs have run around like headless chickens and those chickens have now come to roost

Soldato
I agree too, the 20 series got slated not so much for it's performance but because it was a poor value proposition. The 30 series got great reviews for price/performance at MSRP but if they had been priced the way they are now I think most of the reviewers would have said to give them a miss.

Caporegime
Yes I agree, but you can't blame people for a long we've been under the assumption that a new gpu will boost your game performance everywhere every time, every resolution and every setting - unfortunately it's just not true anymore
I agree there are some fixed perceptions of this but there is now also so much in the way of reviews and benchmarks for Ampere since so many months that there is literally no excuse for not doing your research to understand what you are buying.

However, I guess many people are just buying whatever is (or was) available and worrying about the small details later.

Soldato
3090 will start to stretch it's legs at higher resolutions like 4K which is what i run mine with, it's going to vary from game to game also.

And VR of course, which is the primary use for my 3090, and it's made a huge difference compared to my 1080ti.

As has been pointed out, at launch the MSRP of the 3090FE looked way overpriced. Months later, when supply is meager and prices are bonkers, it's not looking so bad.

I'm certainly happy I got one, even though I agonized over the price initially. Getting off the stock alert train has been much better for my nerves too.

Back
Top Bottom