• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070Ti no display, BIOS issue?

Associate
Hi all,

I’ve purchased an ASUS TUF 4070ti, upgrading from a Gigabyte 2080.

I swapped them over yesterday and powered the PC on. The 4070 RGB lights up and the fans on it spin but there is no output to the monitor, not even the POST screen.

It’s being powered by a Corsair AX750 modular PSU and I’m using 2 separate 8-pin (6+2) power connectors from the PSU to the GPU (via the included adapter) as recommended. The motherboard is an ASUS Prime Z390M-Plus.

If i connect to onboard graphics I can see that the 4070 isn’t detected in device manager in Windows. I’ve removed all drivers using DDU in safe mode but when trying to reinstall the latest drivers it states there is no compatible graphics card installed, I therefore cannot install them.

I’ve reinstalled the drivers with the 2080 connected, then re-installed the 4070 but the issue persists.

As I can’t even see the POST screen I don’t believe it’s a Windows/driver issue though…

When accessing the BIOS and looking within Advanced/System Agent Configuration/PEG Port Configuration it shows “Not Present” against the PCIE port “PCIEX16_1”. Whereas with the 2080 installed it shows “x16” and sets the link speed to “Gen3” automatically.

I’m therefore assuming that it’s a BIOS issue and the GPU isn’t being detected. I’ve updated the BIOS to the latest version downloaded from the ASUS website, but no joy.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to another PC to try the card in.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hoping it’s not a dead card!

Associate
OP
Have you tried different pcie slot? Different cable?
There is another PCIE slot, but there’s not enough clearance below it for it to fit there.

However, I’m pretty sure it’s not the PCIE slot, PSU cables, display cables or monitors as if I put the 2080 back in it’s place it all works fine

Associate
OP
There is another PCIE slot, but there’s not enough clearance below it for it to fit there.

However, I’m pretty sure it’s not the PCIE slot, PSU cables, display cables or monitors as if I put the 2080 back in it’s place it all works fine
I’m thinking it’s either a faulty GPU (hopefully not) or a BIOS setting somewhere that’s making it unable to detect it…

Associate
OP
Have you cleared the BIOS to defaults ? Try the BIOS clear on the motherboard either a button or a jumper and remove the battery too for a while say 5 mins while the jumper is set to clear BIOS and remember to set it back to normal before starting the pc as it will not post correctly.
I’ve set BIOS to defaults via the in-BIOS “set to optimised defaults” option. But not via the mobo button. I’ll give that a try and report back

Associate
OP
Try flicking the VBIOS switch on the graphics card too as a test to rule out a corrupt VBIOS too, second one may allow the system to post.

Also try HDMI and DP to the monitor as a test too, to rule out the motherboard not detecting VGA error too.
Would this be the “performance” vs “quiet” switch on the GPU?

Associate
OP
Quick question: do the 4000-series GPUs require a PCIE 4.0 slot?! I’m seeing conflicting info online…

My mobo only has 3.0 slots, so that may be the issue?

Associate
OP
is the gpu heavy and sagging, might need one of them support brackets?
It’s reasonably heavy yeah, it comes with a support stand. I haven’t used it every time I’ve swapped the card back in (about 5 times now) but did initially on first setup and it didn’t work

Will use it during any further tests to be sure

Associate
OP
True on the slots but if
A 3090ti could bottleneck pci 3.0 and this card is (supposed to) compete with that, what info have you drawn your conclusion from?

Op are you using a pcie riser cable? Or is the gpu connected DIRECTLY to the motherboard slot? I've recently had same issue as you after updating mobo bios (it changed my slots to pcie gen 4.0 and riser is only pcie gen 3.0 capable).

It might still be it. Set the motherboard up to use Pci-e 3.00 only using your old card.

If that works and you weren't using a riser perhaps the mobo maker cheaped out and didn't put pcie gen 4.0 on the secondary slot.
No, I'm not using a PCI riser or adapter of any sort, GPU is directly connected to the slot on the motherboard.

I think I already tried setting the link speed to "Gen3" in the BIOS rather than leaving it on "Auto" but will try again.

If left on "Auto":

2080 installed - Displays "x16" and Link Speed displays "Gen3"
4070Ti installed - Displays "Not Present" and Link Speed displays "Auto"

Associate
OP
Though I've had several instanes of riser cables causing some issues that are usually fixed with a 4.0 cable upgrade or a BIOS switch from auto to 3.0/4.0 I've not had a direct slot insertion cause this. The fact that the GPU isn't even registering in the BIOS where the other GPU does is very suspicious of a DOA card.

Maybe power related as some GPUs won't boot without the extra cables but as you say your 2080 works fine.

I've had a 7900XTX & 4080 FE with and without riser cables and no issues. However an RTX 2060 yesterday worked until the Windows drivers kicked in and then nothing. Not even a boot screen after so something was triggered in the BIOS. Swapping the old GPU back in and then setting the auto to 3.0 for the PCI-E slot fixed it so odds things can happen.
Yeah unfortunately it's starting to look more and more like a DOA card...

My plan this evening is:

- Re-install the 4070Ti with support stand
- Test (in case it's miraculously fixed itself)
- Set Link speed setting to "Gen3" in BIOS (temporarily using on-board HDMI for video output)
- Test
- Toggle the switch on the GPU from performance to Quiet mode
- Test
- Clear CMOS with jumper short and battery removal
- Test

If all of the above fails I think it's gonna have to go back.

Associate
OP
Are you saying this is what is displayed on your monitor by the non-working 4070Ti?
No, I can only interact with the BIOS and see this info if I connect to the HDMI port on the motherboard.

I have not managed to get any display (POST screen, BIOS, Windows) when I connect a monitor to the 4070ti. The monitors simply detect no output at all from the card.

Associate
OP
Yeah this sounds like a DOA card.

Id next try
1) try the gpu in another pc if you can
2) clean the contacts on both mono and gpu with some contact cleaner and dry then re try
3) try with a riser cable if you have one (I've seen weirder fixes happen ).
4) again know this sounds stupid by double triple check your power connections are OK. The 4080 series use a weird y type psu connection which should have been included in the box.

5) if that don't work send it back.
1) unfortunately i dont have access to another PC. My brother has a fairly new PC but dont think the PSU will have the required connections (2x8PIN). ill find out though.
2) i dont have any contact cleaner. obviously the 4070 is brand new out the box and the 2080 works in the slot fine so i'd say that's pretty unlikely. will give the slot a blast with some compressed air though
3) i dont have a riser cable
4) yeah it comes with the Y cable. Im using 2x separate 6+2 PIN cables from the PSU to the 4070. The card powers on ok (RGB lights up and fans on it spin)

Associate
OP
sidenote: I raised a support request with Overclockers yesterday, just to get the ball rolling in case of a return really.

It's been over 24hrs and havent had a response yet...

Associate
OP
is there any led or diagnostic read out stuff on mb for fault finding? or anything on the gpu tho doubt it.
No nothing unfortunately.

The GPU looks fine. As I say, the RGB lights on it come on and the 3x fans are spinning.

If I leave it to boot, even though I can't see anything on screen I can actually RDP to Windows from my laptop so it all boots up fine.

It's just like as far as the mobo is concerned there's no GPU installed... :(

Associate
OP
As you can RDP to the affected machine, it seems to boot, what does it show in terms of GPU being connected to that machine?
Device manager only shows the intel GPU, the 4070 doesnt show.

Additionally, if i try and run the Nvidia driver installer it says no compatible graphics card is found/installed.

Which makes sense as it's not detected during POST/in BIOS, Windows isn't ever going to see it

Associate
OP
could it possibly be a cable issue? Some older cards might work with normal cables that come with monitors but some of these new cards might work better with aftermarket cables the supposably proper hdmi or dp cables.

Probs not but just a thought i had. Usually its just a issue on high res and high hz monitors but i dunno.

Dunno if its even possible for it to be a cable, if its not even showing in device manager when u remote login. So maybe forget the post?

Hopefully tho u can get ocuk to check it out with a rma, then ull know for sure one way or the other.
ive got 2 monitors, 1440p 165hz (DP cable) and 1080p 165hz (HDMI and DP cable connected)

the DP cables are third party ones i purchased and the 2080 works fine, so i dont believe its the cables

will do some testing tonight with the various suggestions ive been given and report back!

if not then yeah, itll be back to OC for a replacement hopefully

Back
Top Bottom