RTX 4080 or the new AMD 7000 GPU’s

Associate
Before the RTX 4000 series was released, there was a lot of talk about the 4080 likely to be more popular as it was inevitable the 4090 would be expensive. But the 4080 I think it’s fair to say is a lot more than ppl expected. And the 12gb is more like the 4070. But with the high price for the 16gb model. It’s starting to make me think that the 4090 isn’t as too highly priced. But I think more people will switch to AMD, the prices are a lot better. But I’ve always stuck with Nvidia and Intel but did find their CPU’s were good competition in terms of performance as well, although Intel does seem to be coming back. But with the Nvidia range, I’ll always consider them to be better for simple reasons such as using GDDR6x not GDDR6, and I don’t know how good AMD ray tracing is, but my hunch is Nvidia will be better. Can anyone give some simplified reasons why AMD should be considered apart from the price. I mean how good is Ray tracing, and also their alternative to Nvidi’s DLSS. Also interested in general views on motherboard brands. I have an Asus z370-G which I’ve been fairly happy with. My only grievance is if you update the Bios to latest version, it won’t let you overclock the Ram. The only problem using older Bios is using the Resizable GPU bar if I had a RTX 3000 or 4000 series GPU. But Asus’s Bios I’ve always found awkward. But still feel they seem to be the top brand. The only other brand I’d consider for now is Gigabyte. And if EVGA carry on with boards maybe them. But are their any less known brands worth checking out?

Soldato
Wait for reviews. We hardly know much about the cards apart from it having more sensible power draw. Whether it will be close or beat the 4080, in terms of both traditional and ray tracing, we don't know.

The whole GDDR6X vs GDDR6 can't really be compared to each other since the GPUs are very different designs, both will depend on GPU bandwidth differently, and in terms of the 7900 XTX vs 4080, it has a wider bus width which should make up for the slower speed.

FSR 2 I found to be pretty good in some titles, some even looking as good as DLSS but it's very game dependant.

I haven't really felt Asus as the top motherboard maker. One of the best sure but not the top of the crop. It seems for every different CPU generation, it's always a different brand with the best. Other ones to look out for apart from the ones you listed is MSI and ASRock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Heres my take.

4090 best RT + raster £1700 minimum.
4080 just over half the raster of 4090 with RT a bit better than ampere. £1267 minimum
7900XTX close to 4090 raster with RT on par with top ampere. just over £1000 minimum
7900XT raster between 4080 and 4090 but closer to 4090, RT again around ampere. just over £900 minimum

If you want the absolute best and don't care about cost then get the 4090.
The 4080 is not worth considering.
The 7900XTX if you want top end raster for £600 less and don't mind ampere levels of RT
the 7900XT if you want next gen raster and are more budget constrained.

Associate
OP
Wait for reviews. We hardly know much about the cards apart from it having more sensible power draw. Whether it will be close or beat the 4080, in terms of both traditional and ray tracing, we don't know.

The whole GDDR6X vs GDDR6 can't really be compared to each other since the GPUs are very different designs, both will depend on GPU bandwidth differently, and in terms of the 7900 XTX vs 4080, it has a wider bus width which should make up for the slower speed.

FSR 2 I found to be pretty good in some titles, some even looking as good as DLSS but it's very game dependant.

I haven't really felt Asus as the top motherboard maker. One of the best sure but not the top of the crop. It seems for every different CPU generation, it's always a different brand with the best. Other ones to look out for apart from the ones you listed is MSI and ASRock.
I keep forgetting about ASRock they seem to me like an underrated brand. For some reason I’ve never been keen on MSI, it must’ve been an old product I had used years ago that I was unimpressed with. I was hoping to get an EVGA gpu, as I first got a PSU from them and was so impressed with the look of the build quality and packaging, not sure why I chose them over Corsair, maybe better price, but felt confident that it’s just as good. So got an EVGA RTX2080xc and got no complaints with that and love their overclocking software.

Associate
OP
I'd agree I think it should be priced around $800 but then the 4080 should really be $800 or less also.
I was thinking much the same regarding the price. And with Nvidia we all knew the 4090 wouldn’t be cheap, but I think most were shocked how expensive the 4080 will be. And this almost makes me think the 4090 will be better value. I think that may be Nvidia’s intention.

Soldato
I was thinking much the same regarding the price. And with Nvidia we all knew the 4090 wouldn’t be cheap, but I think most were shocked how expensive the 4080 will be. And this almost makes me think the 4090 will be better value. I think that may be Nvidia’s intention.
It's not even just the cost, the 3080 had 81% of the cuda cores of a 3090 yet the 4080 only has 59% which makes it more of a 70ti class.

Back
Top Bottom