• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4090 Hotspot Temperature > 100C

Associate
Hello all,

I bought an ASUS TUF RTX 4090 a year and half ago and it has performed fine until about 2 months ago when I noticed the fans immediately ramping up to 100% in most games and the hotspot temperature reaching 110C and above. This temperature is then maintained while the load on the GPU continues (and so are the fan speeds). The card is therefore extremely noisy and, in the medium to long term, this cannot be good for the card itself.

I know this is not normal behaviour and as such I have sent the card for repair/replacement under warranty with the reseller (which is not OCUK), but they have dismissed my claims and initially said that the card was behaving normally and saw no such high temperatures. Now, after shipping the card back, they have changed their tune (I have since sent them more evidence by testing the card on different systems and observing the same overheating behaviour) and claim that this behaviour is completely normal for an RTX 4090. This is an excerpt from a recent email:

"These hotspot temperatures aren't a cause for concern, looking through the speeds you're experiencing the clock speed is only dipping by a small amount which wouldn't indicative of a fault per say, especially when the machine is in use and the card is undergoing GPU intensive tasks. the temperature being so high also isn't necessarily an issue, especially with 4090 cards as they run significantly hotter than the previous versions."

This is one of the many screenshots I have sent them of the card reaching 110C/100% fan speed shortly after starting a game or a benchmark (and again they had the chance to experience this themselves as they had the card in their possession).

CyberpunkScreenshot

Since I have been going back and forth for with them for a while on this and they are refusing to admit that this is a fault, what is your advice?

Thank you in advance!

PS: The specs of the systems I have tried this card on are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d
Arctic Liquid Freezer III 360
MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk
32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 Corsair Vengeance
Crucial T500 M.2 SSD 2TB
Corsair RM1000x PSU

AMD Ryzen 5800x
NH-D15 chromax.black
Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Teamgroup
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus M.2 SSD 1TB
Corsair RM850x PSU

At first glance it isn't a fault in the strictest meaning of the word. Sounds to me that the card will be solid again with acceptable temps after a repaste.

EDIT: Of course, your warranty will most likely be called into question if you do it yourself. BS in my opinion but nevertheless important info to have on hand. Hotspot is very far off the very acceptable edge or normal temp suggesting to me that you have a spot in the paste on the core that needs replacing(by replacing all the paste btw).

EDIT2: If you decide to go ahead and do a repaste but are feeling a bit insecure about it, you could go with a graphene thermal pad like the kryosheet from Thermal Grizzle or one of the alternatives from other manufactorers. The end result wont be as good but it should solve the problem.

Last edited:
What kind of gpu temps are you seeing if the hotspot is 110c, i would say you have thermal paste leakout more common on 4090s due to the temprature diffrences the card experences under load and then idle conditions. However case airflow is most important with 40 series (4080-4090) the amount of heat these cards can expell is scary sometimes, if all the heat has no where to go it's trapped and will heat up the card and most other components in your pc.

Does your room get super hot after a while, if so you need to open a door or window to bring down the ambient temp, that way the pc can breath and in turn will reduce operating temps.

I would stop going back and forth by email I assume and get on the phone and kick up a fuss. Speak to someone higher if you have to.

In this day and age of social media you've got them now being scummy and trying to fob you off, the likes of Reddit/twitter/Facebook will lap these excuses up and will do them more harm than just to accept your RMA.

Your problem is they will want to send it back to an ASUS repair centre and you might have issues all over again from what I read about Asus customer

Don't know vram tolerance on 4090s but 100% fan speed within a few minutes while gaming isn't within spec of any gpu.

They could be testing open bench, air con workspace, testing via synthetic benchmarks etc and it's 'fine' their end.

If your GPU is orientated on a riser, remove riser and check temps again.

As above, if the room heats up, it's only recirculating hotter air and your system heats up.

Use your phone to externally capture booting into windows and launching/playing (multiple) games with OSD info on screen, upload to YT and send them that info, see what they say.

I had a 2.5-year-old Zotac 3090 that I bought from OCUK that developed a problem with the hotspot temperature going over 100 degrees. Sent it back to OCUK and they replaced it straight away. Hotspot temperature is definitely a valid concern. Have you tried to contact ASUS direct? Personally I would not re-paste until I had exhausted all other avenues.

Back
Top Bottom