• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX3070 FE Under performing

Associate
Hi All, I've been playing Hunt: Showdown and currently my frames wont go any higher no matter what I do on my graphics settings. Everything is on Low but I'm not getting any luck at all. Below are my current specs:

RTX3070 FE
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
ASUS ROG B450-F
CORSAIR VENGANCE 2x8GB RAM DDR4 2133MHz
CORSAIR 650W VS Series PSU
The game is stored on a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 drive and I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling but the problem still persists. I've also attempted to run this offline in trials and I have no problems hitting 144fps constantly. Please help. Any pictures required let me know and I'll send them over.

It's worth mentioning, I had a 1080 previously and it seems like I've actually lost frames since upgrading to a 3070 which is a bit worrying.

Permabanned
2133 mhz ram on r5 3600 means you're beneath the performance of a first gen zen chip that runs with a 3000 mhz ram (not joking)

you need to get yourself 2x8 3000 cl15 ballistix kits and oc it to 3600 cl16 (chepest way) and tweak the subtimings along the way for most optimal performance

even going from 3000 to 3466+tweaked subtimings can mean a tons of performance difference... and u run at 2133

"It's worth mentioning, I had a 1080 previously and it seems like I've actually lost frames since upgrading to a 3070 which is a bit worrying."

this is not that possible (unless you used an ADM GPU before, that could've made sense), i made the completely same upgrade on a lower tier cpu yet i see improvements in every gpu bound game i played so far. if you try to push low settings on a 3070, you will never see improvements over a 1080... sorry to say this

but admitteddly, you need to go beyond 2133 mhz, that's for sure

for reference;

OHRtPsH.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
2133 mhz ram on r5 3600 means you're beneath the performance of a first gen zen chip that runs with a 3000 mhz ram (not joking)

you need to get yourself 2x8 3000 cl15 ballistix kits and oc it to 3600 cl16 (chepest way) and tweak the subtimings along the way for most optimal performance

even going from 3000 to 3466+tweaked subtimings can mean a tons of performance difference... and u run at 2133

"It's worth mentioning, I had a 1080 previously and it seems like I've actually lost frames since upgrading to a 3070 which is a bit worrying."

this is not that possible (unless you used an ADM GPU before, that could've made sense), i made the completely same upgrade on a lower tier cpu yet i see improvements in every gpu bound game i played so far. if you try to push low settings on a 3070, you will never see improvements over a 1080... sorry to say this

but admitteddly, you need to go beyond 2133 mhz, that's for sure

for reference;

OHRtPsH.png
This is really helpful, thanks for this. I'll get new ram ordered asap! Thanks!

Permabanned
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Desktop-Gaming-BL2K8G30C15U4B/dp/B083TSFGBP

the kit i talk about is this one

you can directly buy the 3600 mhz one if you have the budget and don't want to bother with OC. but practically all crucial ballistix kits are micron e-die and are brilliantly overclockable

if you buy the 3600 mhz one, you will have more overclock headroom due to better binning (you can prolly push 1.45v 3733 cl14 and stuff)

a reminder, do a price research, i don't know if the price is optimal or not

Permabanned
Not likely the RAM if you have lost performance?
this needs documentation though, it feels like its a conclusion that derived from the frustration

don't think why would he lose performance unless ampere doesn't like zen 2 cpus for some reason

going from amd gpu to nvidia gpu can actually cause frames loss, since amd gpus uses %20 less cpu

t this graphic tells us that overhead for all nv gpus are same, 4790k will become cpu bound near 130 fps with all nv gpus and become cpu bound near 150 fps with all amd gpus... so overhead with 1080 and 3070 should be the same

Fjt1LSY.jpg

Permabanned
Your CPU is struggling with that ram and unfortunely the 3xxx cards have a hugeee driver overhead problem.
its not specific to 3000 series. overhead is the same and consistent across all nv gpus (since the kepler) and has always been the case.

if he were to go from 5700xt (or in some cases, even from rx 580) to 3070, we could've most likely pin the issue down to overhead, but its not the case here

he's probably saying that out of frustration (op, please don't get me wrong)

Last edited:
Associate
its not specific to 3000 series. overhead is the same and consistent across all nv gpus and has always been the case.

if he were to go from 5700xt to 3070, we could most likely pin the issue down to overhead, but its not the case here

he's probably saying that out of frustration

thats fair enough but that slow ram must be slowing his CPU quite a lot i imagine.

Permabanned
thats fair enough but that slow ram must be slowing his CPU quite a lot i imagine.

yup, that's my consensus too. 2133 mhz is too low for any modern cpu at this point, even for any intel cpu, to the point where intel let the b560 run 3000 mhz on their i5s to be more competitive on performance

Permabanned
CPU is totally fine. Better RAM and/or timings would improve things. What is your exact model of ram ?

Suspect its probably just the game being trash, do some further testing on other games and compare to others benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom