Rubbish Landlord!

Soldato
Hi guys.

After some advise about my rubbish landlord. Basically the boiler to my flat has been broken for 6 days now, i phoned him everyday and said he will come and fix it but he has never turned up :(. What are my options for action?

Thanks.

Soldato
surely he'll have to get someone out to look at a boiler? might as well ask who he uses for gas inspections/work and get phone them yourself.

Associate
Pay for it yourself, then bill the landlord.

I always inform my tenants before they sign the contract that they are expected to pay for immediate repairs such as boiler ect, and that I will repay them once they send the invoice and bank details. This means the work gets done immediately and everyone stays happy.

Associate

I always inform my tenants before they sign the contract that they are expected to pay for immediate repairs such as boiler ect, and that I will repay them once they send the invoice and bank details. This means the work gets done immediately and everyone stays happy.

What happens when they call a dodgy engineer and you get mugged off?

Associate

Don't you worry that they'll call a mate of theirs round to 'fix' the boiler for £200?

In an ideal world, you trust your tenants implicitly, but I can't imagine that's always the case.

Soldato
Don't you worry that they'll call a mate of theirs round to 'fix' the boiler for £200?

In an ideal world, you trust your tenants implicitly, but I can't imagine that's always the case.

only pay out on them producing a receipt from a gas safe (or whatever they're called now) fitter?

Associate

Nope.

My rentals are in Mayfair, London and the Seychelles. They are not aimed at people with no capital.

Permabanned
You could lie and say you think the boiler is leaking to get him on site. That might annoy him more though. you could threaten to pay someone to fix it yourself and tell him you will send him the bill. Then say that you can't promise it's going to be the cheapest plumber. That might kick him in to gear. Ask him to lay out exactly what he is doing to fix it ie who he is getting on site and when it's happening.

Associate
Hi guys.

After some advise about my rubbish landlord. Basically the boiler to my flat has been broken for 6 days now, i phoned him everyday and said he will come and fix it but he has never turned up :(. What are my options for action?

Thanks.

So you've had no hot water for six days? (Heating isn't really an issue at this time of year.) Six days is ample time for him to organise a repair. I'd now be informing him you are immediately getting someone out, will pay for the repairs yourself and be pursuing him for reimbursement.

Soldato
I'd now be informing him you are immediately getting someone out, will pay for the repairs yourself and be pursuing him for reimbursement.

Given that the OP is on benefits, payment of the repairs might be an issue.

I suggest the OP get someone in to QUOTE in writing for the work then hie herself to the DWP(?) to advise them of the situation and ask for an emergency loan to pay for the repairs. Especially stress the situation if children are involved. The loan will be refused unless children are involved but the landlord will get a rocket from the DWP and the problem will be resolved sooner rather than later. Your landlord does NOT want to get on a blacklist.

Back
Top Bottom