Rudder pedals, what is everybody using?

Soldato
I've got a very old set of Simped vario pro's that while they still work perfectly I'm looking to replace as I'd really like toe brake functionality, what is everybody running and are there any go to recommendations these days? I quite like the look of the Turtle Beach VelocityOne's as they are a very reasonable price but would be willing to spend more for something better, any input will be greatly received :D

Associate
Using the Virpil VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals. No toe break but love them due to build quality - couldn't justify extra cost for toe break. I'd expect the other versions that include toe break to be equally great build quality just v v £££.

Associate
Still running my logitech (was saitek) rudder pedals. Must have had them for 10 years now still going strong.

Am tempted by an upgrade though

Associate
Vkb t rudder pedals.

Easy to get my long legs unders the desk and can get precise control with just my big toes when I'm lazy.

Soldato
Guys, I'm a total newbie when it comes to flying games. I would like to try ms flight sim and some others. I've just bought w cheap thrustmaster hotasX. Is this enough to fly planes and helicopters, or do I need pedals too?

Associate
Guys, I'm a total newbie when it comes to flying games. I would like to try ms flight sim and some others. I've just bought w cheap thrustmaster hotasX. Is this enough to fly planes and helicopters, or do I need pedals too?
If the stick has an axis for the rudder as you twist it then it should be manageable but you may find it takes a bit of practice to control the fine movements, especially for helicopters.

I have only recently moved to rudder pedals and have been using twist axis rudders for years.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Within FS2020, it’ll be fine, particularly so if you use some of the easy mode/help settings systems.

However, if you end up wishing to fly with a higher degree of realism, it’ll get progressively more difficult.
Jets tend to be the easiest to fly. Warbirds have some definite quirks, making rudders more important.

Realistic helicopters is where rudder pedals are a lot more important. FS2020 modelling is IMO no great shakes for choppers. DCS makes FS2020 choppers feel more like Forza.

My suggestion is give it a go to see how you get on. You might be quite happy not flying choppers or warbirds, in which case you’ll have saved some dosh. If you want to really feel like flying a Huey, start saving up.

Associate
Within FS2020, it’ll be fine, particularly so if you use some of the easy mode/help settings systems.

However, if you end up wishing to fly with a higher degree of realism, it’ll get progressively more difficult.
Jets tend to be the easiest to fly. Warbirds have some definite quirks, making rudders more important.

Realistic helicopters is where rudder pedals are a lot more important. FS2020 modelling is IMO no great shakes for choppers. DCS makes FS2020 choppers feel more like Forza.

My suggestion is give it a go to see how you get on. You might be quite happy not flying choppers or warbirds, in which case you’ll have saved some dosh. If you want to really feel like flying a Huey, start saving up.
Further to this, helicopter pedals stay in position rather than re-center like a rudder (they are called anti-torque pedals for helicopters) which is part of the reason I went for a set that could have the return mechanism disabled.

I also went with the optional damper kit whilst I was paying for delivery once already.

Associate
Turtle Beach Velocity One pedals here. They're my first rudder pedals but seem sturdy and are pretty heavy.

Proper rudder pedals take a bit of getting used to after using the twist function of my Hotas X, but they're much better for control, especially when taxiing.

Back
Top Bottom