• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

(Rumour) Intel Arc 2022 GPUs priced between $149 and $499 (competes with 6700xt and rtx3070)

Soldato
It depends if Intel decide to base their prices of the RRP of competitors cards or the price they're actually selling at.

If they target RRPs of competitors cards then it's going to be a good day for gamers as Intel cards will have a price/performance advantage over Nvidia/AMD and gamers will actually be able to get them.

If they target the retail prices then it will be less good for gamers but at least they should be easier to obtain than their red/green counterparts.

The thing is by AMD/Nvidia essentially ignoring the sub £400 market for the most part,it only needs for Intel to have something not totally crap in the £100~£300 to get more share. To put it in context the best sub £300 GPU you can get easily now is a GTX1650 GDDR6 4GB or a GTX1650 Super 4GB.

Associate
If they can hit the suggested price points (i.e. £400 for 360ti performance), that'll be good enough for me. (assuming £1=$1 conversion with taxes etc.)
The main question in my mind is whether they'll be using their own fab's, if so then hopefully they can mitigate the current supply constraints and drive prices down a bit.
Hopefully they'll be **** at mining :p

I'm still on a 4 year old 1070 that cost me almost £400, looking back I wish I'd just stumped up and bought a 1080ti at ~£650

Soldato
If they can hit the suggested price points (i.e. £400 for 360ti performance), that'll be good enough for me. (assuming £1=$1 conversion with taxes etc.)
The main question in my mind is whether they'll be using their own fab's, if so then hopefully they can mitigate the current supply constraints and drive prices down a bit.
Hopefully they'll be **** at mining :p

I'm still on a 4 year old 1070 that cost me almost £400, looking back I wish I'd just stumped up and bought a 1080ti at ~£650

Doesnt everyone, those 1080 ti`s held their price for silly amounts of time

Associate

Yeah I get that, would have bought a 3070 on launch if they had more VRAM than my current card (I also think the 3080 was a bit lean on that front).
Was dead set on getting a 6800(/XT) on launch too but baulked at the day 1 price increases....regretting it now!

I'm at least thankful that my 1070 has been enough for everything I've got around to playing and I have a lot of decent games stacked up that I've yet to play from a few years back :)

@JediFragger - You're not wrong, I'm just crossing my fingers that I can get a meaningful upgrade for under £500 in the next year!

Soldato
Just imagine if they're fantastic for mining..... :eek:
Never gonna happen. It will take years for them to be viable for mining.

To put it in perspective, mining on ATi GPUs kicked off around 2010 but mining on Nvidia GPUs didn't become viable until around 2014, and even then it was another couple of years until it was actually worth buying an Nvidia card when you could get an AMD one that offered better value.

Associate
Never gonna happen. It will take years for them to be viable for mining.

To put it in perspective, mining on ATi GPUs kicked off around 2010 but mining on Nvidia GPUs didn't become viable until around 2014, and even then it was another couple of years until it was actually worth buying an Nvidia card when you could get an AMD one that offered better value.
Surely most of that was just architectural choices?

I though it was more like, that at the beginning, for BTC, Radeons had some kind of bit shift operator.

At the second mining boom, Radeons were better for LTC.

The third mining boom was ETH which was purposefully designed to make ASICs not viable due memory bandwidth, and Radeons offered more memory bandwidth than GeForce.

The fourth, and current boom, is still ETH except this time RDNA2's Infinity Cache doesn't suit the algorithm as well as Ampere's raw memory bandwidth.

None of these things are a given for Intel. And Intel's OpenCL drivers should be far better as the whole reason they are even entering the dGPU market is because they want to break into the GPU Compute market, so to Intel Compute drivers are probably more important than gaming drivers.

So I'd never say never.

Associate
I don't wish I had because I did.:) Been looking for a high performing replacement for my 1080TI's ever since and think I'll have to wait until 4000 series from Nvidia
or RDNA3 or possibly the next top Intel card. So pleased there's a third player entering this market because AMD/Nvidia and the AIB/retailer cartels are having record profits and incredible margins
all the while spewing transparently spurious disinformation about shortages. Yes some of the reasons are legitimate but the idea that these companies aren't spinning this so called 'crisis' of supply
to print themselves millions of dollars in excess undeserved profits is nonsense.

Associate
Intel are going to need something compelling to shift GPUs, price/performance/efficiency aren't it it would seem.

Given the state of Intel's iGPU drivers over I wouldn't want one over a similar AMD/Nvidia card.

you just know they will be in every del gaming machine sold in the USA

Associate
I don't wish I had because I did.:) Been looking for a high performing replacement for my 1080TI's ever since and think I'll have to wait until 4000 series from Nvidia
or RDNA3 or possibly the next top Intel card. So pleased there's a third player entering this market because AMD/Nvidia and the AIB/retailer cartels are having record profits and incredible margins
all the while spewing transparently spurious disinformation about shortages. Yes some of the reasons are legitimate but the idea that these companies aren't spinning this so called 'crisis' of supply
to print themselves millions of dollars in excess undeserved profits is nonsense.

semi conductor shortages are real massive shortages in my industry

using a new source one supplier has raised it price by £300 on a product until the old source can meet demand

it was either that or the part ceased to exist this year which would have made the lorry driver shortages non existant as they would have nothing to drive

Soldato
If anyone thinks Intel aren't just going to pull up a seat at the money making table with AMD and Nvidia they are mental... Whatever they bring will sell out regardless so they may as well price it to the max.

Associate
If anyone thinks Intel aren't just going to pull up a seat at the money making table with AMD and Nvidia they are mental... Whatever they bring will sell out regardless so they may as well price it to the max.

DOA due to drivers.
Cant price it high, none buys Intel due to drivers.

Soldato
DOA due to drivers.
Cant price it high, none buys Intel due to drivers.

We don't know that yet. Integrated graphics are good for office work and watching YouTube videos. Regular updates aren't needed for that.

High performance gaming is new for Intel and I'm sure they're aware of the importance of regular driver updates. Feel free to quote this post is a couple years if I'm wrong.

Associate
We don't know that yet. Integrated graphics are good for office work and watching YouTube videos. Regular updates aren't needed for that.

High performance gaming is new for Intel and I'm sure they're aware of the importance of regular driver updates. Feel free to quote this post is a couple years if I'm wrong.

I do quote it today to make it a shorter timeframe.
They need to invest into drivers a lot to make it viable and that takes years.
Like anything, it takes a few generations to build and make both hardware and software that works well and then requires a lot of work to keep going.

Associate
I think people will stick with Nvidia to be honest. The extra features and stable drivers will justify the slighly higher price rather than being an early adopter of untried new technology. DLSS is a big selling feature and it's exclusive to most new AAA games.

If intel want to make headway into the market their top card which is equivalent to a 3070 would have to be priced at the £350 mark compared to nvidias £450 offering

Soldato
I think people will stick with Nvidia to be honest. The extra features and stable drivers will justify the slighly higher price rather than being an early adopter of untried new technology. DLSS is a big selling feature and it's exclusive to most new AAA games.

If intel want to make headway into the market their top card which is equivalent to a 3070 would have to be priced at the £350 mark compared to nvidias £450 offering

Yeah but Intel's prices might be the actual figures we'll see them in the shops for. Nvidias MSRP however, is much lower than it actually retails for in shops such as OCUK where it's £659.99. I'd rather buy Intel's equivalent for the price they're aiming for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom