Running Boinc invisibly

Soldato
In easy terms how do I set boinc up to run so theres no icon or other sign of it. Task manager etc. is ok, as they wouldnt be able to find that with GPS a map and a 3 month head start. :p

Just want no sign of it from the desktop and nothing showing at start up. Its a single user machine with no password.

TDF.

Associate
Haven't used BOINC for a while now but here's how it used to work for me: When you install BOINC on the pc, there is an option to install as a service. Which will indeed run in the background and not show anything on the desktop or at startup. However I have a feeling that it still places startup shortcuts to the BOINC GUI (which when it's configured as a service doesn't need to be running to be crunching). So just search out the startup links for the GUI and disable them. Then you're all set. :)

Soldato
OP
Nope it wont have it, the no password causes a problem. I tried installing with a password then deleting it from the user account and the sevice.msc thingie, still not haapy.

TDF.

Associate
I set up my sisters PC so that it runs as service.

She's running XP home so I can't use the Administrator account thats installed with windows. So instead I put a password on her username and told windows to auto login with her username with the password. That way I can use her username and password in boinc and she doesn't know I've changed anything.

Soldato
OP
Sussed it in the end, add another account, give it a password, install Boinc, go to services>Boinc properties>log on and change it to local system account, then delete the new user account.

Thank you all.

TDF.

Back
Top Bottom