Running machines..

Soldato
Suggestions welcome.

The idea that we have something that both I and the mrs can use. I know there's mother nature out there but the machine may be a better option atm.

Thinking running machine - but being 6'4 and 34" inside leg means a long deck and decent speed required. I used to run at 12-17mph on a machine with an incline. Although I don't think I'll get there I want to have the option for a quick run rather than a around the houses or a longer country run.

Soldato
OP
So had a look (and run on) a couple today:

NordicTrack C100 - larger, the absorbing suspension seemed to work better, you have to run further back from the console as the track starts further back. However the track seems to turn up at the edges, the incline was there. The track is shorter than indicated.
BodyPower Sprint T700 - smaller, narrower deck, the suspension seems harder, seemed better put together, more incline but lower power motor.

There seems to be more reviews of the C100 compared to the T700.

Budget seems to be <650. Must be folding, must be capable of a 6'4 person running, must have incline and must have absorbing deck (she has knee problems but will be walking). As long as it can do manual program, intervals and a random incline program that's fine.

Caporegime
Save your money, run outside and get properly fitted running shoes, knee problems or otherwise (the TM wont really help here).

Soldato
OP
Have invested in one.. for a very reduced amount thanks to discounts, gift cards and nectar points (well under 1/2 price and certainly less than a double gym membership). Reebok One GT50.

I know what you mean, but in the past I have actually enjoyed a daily 45min run to the zen of a wall and a running machine. If it means I can put the food on, run and then keep an eye on the kitchen.. happy..

I will get the mrs to a running analysis session - point made..

Caporegime
Treadmills have the time and place:
time - when you are a serious runner doing some very intense training for a specific race and cannot afford to miss a workout. You run outside 99% of the time, but the weather is too dangerous to attempt the weather outside. i use a TM a few times a year, last time there was a tornado warning and i used the gym as a tornado shelter.
place - gym. Tread mills are very big, any fold-up treadmill is a waste of money. They are very heavy, you can;t move them about. They are very expensive if you want one that is actually usable. Considering the above, you never really want to own one unless you are an a serious runner living in an environment with frequent severe weather and you have a house big enough to set up a dedicated room with lots of additional cooling.

They are also useful if you a very old, frail, sick etc. and at risk if you are outside. Or you are coming back form injury and want the ability to instantly stop.

But by far the biggest problem is they are just incredibly boring to use it is no joke but they were originally invented as a kind of torture deice for inmates to break them down mentally and tire them out so they would be subdued in prison. They are called a mill because they were used o provide power in the prisons.

Caporegime
:D

I have a treadmill for quite a few years now Horizon T4000 premier and I love it. I suffer with my left knee running outside not due to impact as much as the twisting on the knee due to uneven camber etc on roads and pathways. The running routes where I live are horrific, so much stop and start. I can run everyday for as long as I wanted on my treadmill and not suffer. 5k outside I start to feel it, or like last nights 10k it hurts. I love mine. Well when I say mine, the Mrs bought it and used it about a dozen times :D

Soldato
OP
Treadmill works nicely! What I like about it is that it shows the block diagrams etc for incline and speed. One minor niggle is that it only does the programmed speeds on the program - it doesn't take the speed you've set and scale the rest of the program speeds/incline. No biggie as there are lots of preset programs with far faster speeds/greater inclines but having that little bit of 'bunk up' makes the lower programmes easier for stride length but ... being forced to go slightly slower seems to take more effort.

It has programs for fat burning etc but at the moment I've stuck to one that gives me intervals.

I tend to use it in the morning (~5am) and she uses it in the evening before I get home.

Soldato
We're getting one in December, just have to pick a model, as there's a huge choice. Looking at something like the Reebok Jet 200.
Ours is going in the shed once I've cleared a space and strengthened the floor. :p

Soldato
OP
We're getting one in December, just have to pick a model, as there's a huge choice. Looking at something like the Reebok Jet 200.
Ours is going in the shed once I've cleared a space and strengthened the floor. :p

We looked at the Jet 200, the Nordic Track etc. Settled on the Reebok GT60 only to find the price disappear.. ended up with the GT50. Decent for the price we paid £400 from Argos :D

Only thing with the 200 is that the price it's available from one place and they don't have a stellar customer service reputation..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom