Rusty developer

Associate
Hello all, apologies if I've missed answers to similar questions but I need some advice.

I've been doing work in other fields over the past 4-5 or so years but I need to pick things up again to help out a client, so I'm trying to figure out where I should be heading. I was creating asp.net websites using C# and I think around that time we were being nudged towards MVC and Linq but I never got around to properly looking into that.

So what's considered the best approach for web development in a Microsoft environment currently? To clarify I'm not asking for the benefit of the client as the existing design/technologies should hopefully cover their needs, it's more so if I need to job hunt for this work full time again and just to be up to date in general.

So any advice?

Associate
I'd look into the new-ish .net core / asp.net core too. It's a modern rewrite of asp.net 5 mvc. Very fun! I've seen jobs appearing for it now, but I imagine it will be for new projects and startups.

Associate
OP
I'd look into the new-ish .net core / asp.net core too. It's a modern rewrite of asp.net 5 mvc. Very fun! I've seen jobs appearing for it now, but I imagine it will be for new projects and startups.

I suppose I could use .net core as an excuse to learn MVC as it apparently doesn't support web forms.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Associate
Web forms is old stuff and not really a recommended way of doing things now. These days it's all about the MVC frameworks to be modern and organised.

Soldato
.Net Core 2 is released now. Adding a whole tonne of features back in.

It's all under the umbrella of the .Net Standard 2.0. That covers, full fat .Net 4.6.1, slimmer .Net Core 2, mobiles Xamarin.Mac/iOS/Android and UWP.

Permabanned
Were currently building a .net core wep api with an angular 2(3, 4, 5) front end. Its pretty nice. :D

.net core 2 should add a host of missing features! Lost count of the stuff we tried to use and found missing/broken with the last version.

Associate
Dunno if that's true:
Indeed-Job-Postings.jpg

Source: http://www.codingdojo.com/blog/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-of-2017/

Back
Top Bottom