RX 480 - Dual Monitor - What do I need?

Associate
Hello all, so I recently bought a RX 480 from OC and whilst knowing it only had 1 HDMI port, I figured this would be fine as I have always used a HDMI > DVI converter for my second screen (projector) so surely I can do the same but with a DisplayPort > HDMI converter instead.

I bought this little £7 converter thing I'm assuming i cannot post direct links to what I have bought as its on amazo... so if you just google:

CSL - Displayport to HDMI adaptor full HD 1080p incl. audio transmission | DP plug to HDMI socket | Ideal for Apple products / PC graphic cards | Full HD (1080p)

It is the first link. I thought this would work.. but it doesnt. I tried with two different devices, Samsung HDTV T24D390 and also a 'UC40' projector. Both devices show 'No signal'.

I'm not sure if this is the defect in the GPU ports (I hope to not...its brand new..) or the more likely suspect that the adaptor simply isnt the right adaptor. Please can you advise on how I could connect those devices?

Associate
OP
AOC UK;30494802 said:
don't shoot me if I am wrong however display port is an active connection and wont convert fully with any old cheap convertor

this is listed on ocuk and I am sure someone will be here soon to either confirm or put me right and help you out :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/star...ideo-adapter-converter-dp2hdmi-cb-070-sr.html

Hello there, thanks for replying. Correct me if I'm wrong are you saying that I need to buy an 'active' converter? not a passive one? because the link you supplied is for a 'passive' converter?

Would I not need https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-value-display-port-v1.2-to-hdmi-active-adaptor-4k-cb-143-ok.html instead?

Associate
OP
[UPDATE]

Hello all, so I have discovered and found the solution thus would like to share this here should anyone in the future have a problem like this.

I tried several adaptors that were 'passive' and whilst only having 1 HDMI connection for my main monitor and various websites saying you can have two passive devices and it will work fine, but having a third would require an active adaptor. This is actually incorrect, at least in my case. I tried 2 different passive adaptors, neither worked. I popped in a ACTIVE adaptor and boom. No issues at all, worked fine first time and ever since then. I heard reports people sometimes had to switch their monitors on/off aftera while as the display would just turn off, but I don't even have this so yes. You need a ACTIVE adaptor if you suffer the above issues.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Back
Top Bottom