• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX480 & Haribo arrived, I derped on cables.

Associate
My monitor is a Viseo 24"3D LED DVI.

Has 1DVI & 1VGA.

I've seen talk of needing an active convertor. Is this only if trying to use VGA?

Will a standard HDMI to DVI-D or DVI-D to DVI-D cable work fine on their own?
What about display port to DVI?
Thanks in advance.

I was so close to ascending hehe.
P.S. This card is huge!

Associate
I think what he is trying to say is that his card doesn't have a DVI port. To the OP: Depends on the resolution and frequency (1080p 60hz is fine with a simple hdmi -> dvi adapter, but for anything more you'll sadly need an active adapter).

Associate
OP
Thanks for replies.
Had a look about today when got finished, nothing locally had the right stuff.
Trip to other side of town, an electrical shop that has a name sounding similar to Butlins sold the cable for £40. Just a basic cable. I almost fainted, no wonder they went bankrupt once before.
Went to the shop next to it that starts with the letters pcw... They didn't have one, but I did see some hdmi-hdmi cables when I was there. Priced from £70-£99.
I almost had a heart attack!

Guess I'll order from here like I should've when got the card hehe.
/blush

Caporegime
My monitor is a Viseo 24"3D LED DVI.

Has 1DVI & 1VGA.

I've seen talk of needing an active convertor. Is this only if trying to use VGA?

Will a standard HDMI to DVI-D or DVI-D to DVI-D cable work fine on their own?
What about display port to DVI?
Thanks in advance.

I was so close to ascending hehe.
P.S. This card is huge!

If you're going VGA go with an Active Accell VGA adapter. Otherwise if going DVI you should be fine with any cable.

VGA is not natively supported by our GPUs, so compatibility can sometimes be up in the air when using adapters. It should work, but I've seen instances where it doesn't.

Associate
OP
If you're going VGA go with an Active Accell VGA adapter. Otherwise if going DVI you should be fine with any cable.

VGA is not natively supported by our GPUs, so compatibility can sometimes be up in the air when using adapters. It should work, but I've seen instances where it doesn't.

I'll be going the DVI route, might as well get used to this modern era ;)
Gone back to my 6850 until cables arrive.

Associate
OP
Just make sure your next worthwhile upgrade is a FreeSync display, you'll never look back. :)

I've heard loads good about them.
*checks OCUK store*
Oh what!? Had no idea some where that cheap :D

Oddly, was in pub last night, got talking games with some random person. Mentioned Freesync & he said "You mean gsync?".
Had to educate them :p

Associate
If you have a monitor with dvi-i input , then active adapter, dvi-d input passive adapter. With vga(d-sub) active adapter. I had hard time with these things as well before.

Don't know why amdmatt is saying dvi is out dated? If your monitor is 1080p or 1440p , this dvi port is more than fine. I don't like to throw cash out of the window. ( i use RX 480 atm. just saying)

Associate
Just make sure your next worthwhile upgrade is a FreeSync display, you'll never look back. :)
AMD should focus on EDID monitor info. I use the same active vga adapter to nvidia and amd. With nvidia i can "overclock" the Hz much better and able to use it without any problem but with amd is kinda impossible. If i do bump up the Hz on amd, the screen size will be out of nowhere. Impossible to shrink and move it to correct position. This EDID problem recorded since 15+ years already. Time to work on it!

i just sent this msg because with RX 480 Hz "overclocking" is kinda a nightmare.

With nvidia , i am able to use 150+ Hz on active adapter which is officially limited to 60 hz. With amd , just kinda not working at all.

To be honest , i had the same experience with amd long ago with dsub and dvi-i with old cards. Looks like this part is out of interest of amd to make it happen to regular users.

I had to use powerstrip utility to somehow use the regular 85hz or more on my monitor with amd card. It was painful. As it is now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
DVI is outdated too. :p Modern era is Displayport and HDMI. :D
Wut?

You know that HDMI video signal is *exactly the same* as DVI video signal? Just that HDMI also carries audio?

That's why you can have a completely passive adapter that works BOTH ways. Ie, HDMI-out to DVI-in, and DVI-out to HDMI-in.

DisplayPort is different. DP++ ports can output a DVI signal, if they detect a DVI display on the other end. Hence passive DP->DVI adapters only work ONE way (DP out, DVI in).

OP: If your source has HDMI (out), you just need any el cheapo HDMI<->DVI adpater, at a cost of about £1.50 for two (!) on your local auction site. Job done.

Don
If you have a monitor with dvi-i input , then active adapter, dvi-d input passive adapter. With vga(d-sub) active adapter.

That makes no sense either, monitors don't have DVI-I ports, GPUs usually do. Issue is modern GPUs only have DVI-D and so can only support digital signals (i.e. no VGA port).

Active vs Passive is a completely different thing, but generally if you have a DVI-D only graphics card, you will need an ACTIVE displayport->VGA adapter (as the card doesn't have the required RAMDAC / clock generator)

Caporegime
If you have a monitor with dvi-i input , then active adapter, dvi-d input passive adapter. With vga(d-sub) active adapter. I had hard time with these things as well before.
This is also wrong. DVI-I means it can carry both analog and digital signals.

If OPs source is HDMI, he absolutely does not need an active adapter. A cheap passive adapter will do.

If OP's source is DP++, he can use a passive adapter. If OPs source is VGA, he needs no adapter, just a VGA<>VGA cable. If OPs source is DP, not DP++, he must use an active adapter.

Caporegime
That makes no sense either, monitors don't have DVI-I ports, GPUs usually do. Issue is modern GPUs only have DVI-D and so can only support digital signals (i.e. no VGA port).

Active vs Passive is a completely different thing, but generally if you have a DVI-D only graphics card, you will need an ACTIVE displayport->VGA adapter (as the card doesn't have the required RAMDAC / clock generator)
His monitor has a DVI input tho... so we can assume that his source is not DVI or VGA, otherwise he'd have just got the relevant cable.

BTW, PC GPUs with DP outputs will be DP++... these can detect a DVI display and output DVI signal instead of DP signal (so no active adapter needed).

Associate
FoxEye: Won't work. I have tested it on HDMI. Tested with DP as well. I have went thru on this road to find out what is good and what is not. ( i have monitor with vga and another with DVI-I as well) At DP , monitor is recognized but no signal.

Caporegime
FoxEye: Won't work. I have tested it on HDMI. Tested with DP as well. I have went thru on this road to find out what is good and what is not. ( i have monitor with vga and another with DVI-I as well) At DP , monitor is recognized but no signal.
What won't work?

The DisplayPort++ standard (read on Wiki or somewhere else) means that any *compliant* DP++ output can be attached to a DVI display with a *standards compliant* passive DP>DVI adapter.

If it doesn't work, then maybe either: you have a non-complaint DP cable (believe it or not, cheap DP cables might not be DP standard compliant, you can Google if you don't believe me); your DP output is not DP++; your DP++ source is non-compliant (unlikely).

The DP++ *standard* says that a DP++ source will recognise a DVI display and switch to outputting DVI signal instead of DP signal.

This is written in the DP++ standard.

As for the HDMI<>DVI statement. Yes, it does work. DVI and HDMI (video) are the *same* signal. 100%. I have used simple passive adapters *both* ways. It does work. Guaranteed.

If it doesn't work for you then you're doing something wrong. Because the standards define what is possible. And the standards say it *is* possible.

You can't say your anecdotal evidence trumps the written standards docs for HDMI, DVI or DP++, because I'm afraid the official spec is what matters, not what you've managed to get working or otherwise with your own equipment.

Oh and as Armageus said, you don't have a monitor with DVI-I. You have a monitor with DVI-D. Please learn the basics before giving advice.

Associate
OP
Got it sorted \o/

HDMI - DVI-D cable turned up this morning. Swapped cards, wired it all up, put tower together &.... Looked at the clock, I had ten minutes before I had to be out :(

No sleep tonight hehe, quick test on DOOM & wowsers, this card is great :D

Back
Top Bottom