Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Soldato
If the K701 can be had for a bit more, then yes. I don't what they sell for now, but the K702 are double what the CAL! cost.

AKG's are somewhat insensitive headphones and are harder to drive than the Creative's, but the SB Z should do a decent job unless you like seriously loud volume.

Soldato
Well, I'd go for the AKG's if you can. For gaming, particularly locating sounds, K701/702 is up there with the best.

CAL's are still good headphones though, but they have gone up a bit; not long ago they were a bargain £40.

Associate
The K702s for less than £100 is a bargain. They have a removable cable and are decent quality. Imo, you'll want a decent soundcard/external DAC though. But if sound locations being precise is definitely wanted, the decent soundcard is a must. (which is just read, GKurisu you do have, so ignore me there)

This is also a very nice thread. After listening to some HE400 and 500s a while ago, i must say i do love them. But my heart is with the Beyer sound.

Caporegime
The K702s for less than £100 is a bargain. They have a removable cable and are decent quality. Imo, you'll want a decent soundcard/external DAC though. But if sound locations being precise is definitely wanted, the decent soundcard is a must. (which is just read, GKurisu you do have, so ignore me there)

This is also a very nice thread. After listening to some HE400 and 500s a while ago, i must say i do love them. But my heart is with the Beyer sound.

less than £94 new on amazon

Soldato
Any chance of adding DT 990 pro/edition?
If you want "balanced" sound for gaming with good fun above neutral bass punch and without drowning too much details they're one of the top choises.
Of course bass neutral AKG K701/K702 and ATH-AD500/700 beat them for competitive gaming in details, but those are again really thin on "fun factor".
Also good old manually adjustable headband works better than AKG's "automatically" adjusting one and doesn't rely also on pressure to keep cups positioned.
(+replacement ear pads reasonably priced)

Of course caveats of open design apply: Open design isn't good for lowest "rumbling" bass and you'll hear noisy keyboards etc.

Associate
OP
Any chance of adding DT 990 pro/edition?
There's loads I've gotta add but it's been years since I've had a DT990. Sharp peaks, not the most clean bass, okay resolution for it's price range. At this point I don't recommend them as there's loads of phones that perform better thanks to places like massdrop giving massive selections.

Man of Honour
Bit of both - some of the classic notable headphones have sadly gone EOL without necessarily a direct replacement and the current situation is impacting supply.

Back
Top Bottom